Oculus Rift not working with Nvidia Driver 390.65 - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift not working with Nvidia Driver 390.65

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You may also want to reinstall the latest Nvidia driver. Either with a clean install or using DDU to remove the current drivers first. It's possible that the Nvidia driver itself is fine and that something with the upgrade has caused an issue. If you've already downgraded drivers, it would help us to know if you run the clean install of the latest Nvidia driver if that solves the problem. Please let me know. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,583 Volunteer Moderator
    I've been reading a few of comments on Reddit about the latest driver causing issues with multiple monitors (second monitor going black, needing a reboot to fix), and that could possibly translate to Rift issues. I think I'm going to clean install the older version again, and do a little testing with it to see if the problem manifests itself. If I don't see issues on the older driver after a bit of testing, I'll try a clean install of the newest one again and see what happens.

i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    Well, I was hoping that it could be pinned down to the driver, but on first reboot after clean-installing 388.71, I fired up the Oculus app, put on my headset, and got black screens. Restarting the Oculus app didn't fix it, nor did putting on the headset without launching the app first. Restarting the Oculus service through the app worked. I'll test a little more to get an idea how robust it is, but it seems like there's something else at play.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    We are still actively investigating this issue, so if anyone is encountering problems on Nvidia, please contact us and provide log files and details so we can work to resolve the problem. Thanks.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    Mmmm, the reason it still work fine for me with last Nvidia drivers is possibly because I always reboot my computer right before using the Rift (to clean memory, because USB device could have been to sleep and after reboot I use OTT to prevent this, etc.). Mmmm, I'll check.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

edited January 2018
    I didn’t get any further black screen issues with 388.71 over the course of several reboots and cold starts. At the end of the night I clean-installed 390.65 and also ran a repair on my Oculus app. Will test again this evening and see if it’s more stable.

*Edit: same issues with 390.65, first boot after installing, black screens. Rift worked fine after each of several subsequent reboots, so it's still intermittent.  At this point I'm less convinced that it's a video driver issue. I think it may be something related to Oculus 1.22, or Home 2.0 in particular. More testing underway...
  • CyborgNinjaJesusCyborgNinjaJesus Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited January 2018
    Ok, after reinstalling the latest drivers it seemed to be alright, but today it has failed again, here are the logs after the fail. Unsurprisingly there's a graphics driver crash registered so something, going to forward these files to nVidia as well since it seems an issue hard to repro.

EDIT: While I'm at it, here's a copy of the repro steps I send to NVIDIA

Here are the steps I followed to get the crash:

1 Start the PC
     2 Start Steam
     3 Start Contagion VR Demo 
     4 Play the game, no issues
     5 Finish the game and close it
     6 Play non VR game
     7 Close non VR game
     8 Leave PC idling (2-3h)
     9 Attempt to start Project CARS2 in VR
     10 Rift's screen lights up and works as intended for 20-40 seconds
     11 Window's "device disconnected" sound plays trhough the Rift's headset and the screen stops  working
     12 The audio keeps working but the screen won't turn on.

After crashing I started the Log recorder and fired up Project CARS 2 a second time, the result was the same as described in steps 9 to 12, so that's what the logs will be showing.

I see some permissions errors in the logs. Did you maybe install the Oculus setup with Run as Admin? You MUST NOT install Oculus with Run as Admin. If so, you'll have to uninstall and reinstall Oculus normally.
  • pidge916pidge916 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Hello my name is Manuel Guzman from NVIDIA.  I recieved a copy of logs from users and forwarded it to our VR team.  Can users share what monitor(s) you have connected to your graphics card and how they are connected (DP, HDMI, etc.)?  Also are you connecting your Rift through a normal HDMI cable or are you going from DisplayPort to HDMI?  Thank you.  
  • profanicusprofanicus Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited January 2018
    pidge916 said:
    Hello my name is Manuel Guzman from NVIDIA.  I recieved a copy of logs from users and forwarded it to our VR team.  Can users share what monitor(s) you have connected to your graphics card and how they are connected (DP, HDMI, etc.)?  Also are you connecting your Rift through a normal HDMI cable or are you going from DisplayPort to HDMI?  Thank you.  

I've sent an email with logs and info as instructed.
    I am having the same issue with 390.65 as described by others here. The issue seems to manifest after the system has been idling for some time.
    Rolling back to 388.71 fixed it for me. A 'clean install' of 390.77 breaks it again. :)
  • IlIfadeIlIIlIfadeIlI Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Manuel are you still investigating the issue?  Because it has found its way in the latest drivers release notes...

Issues and Updates:
    -On some systems running multiple monitors, PC may TDR on cold boot. No problem with warm boot. 
    -After PC is left on for extended period of time, HDCP may be lost cause HTC Vive/Oculus Rift to launch to a black screen. Rebooting PC resolves issue. 
    -NieR:Automata randomly freezes with white screen 
    -Content type from NVIDIA Control Panel reset on reboot
    -Gears of War 4 may randomly crash
    -Doom (OpenGL) may crash on launch if HDR is enabled in Windows 
    -Rise of the Tomb Raider displays partial flickering in DX12 mode
    -NvfbcPluginWindow preventing Windows from shutting down if PC is left on for extended period of time
  • SethiestSethiest Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    edited February 2018
    Please HELP!

I'm having problems with juddering now. It's driving me mental. Especially since I never has any problem with the rift until a couple of days ago. 

I've tried everything in this thread and nothing seems to be working. I even reset my PC to try and remove everything that may be conflicting - no luck. 

My PC,
    i7 4790k
    GTX 1070
    32 ram.

Also I'm on Driver 390.77. I tried a clean reinstall of that as well but it didn't work. 

Urrrrggghh it was working fine before why'd they have to mess around with it. So frustrating. 

Edit: Rolled back to 388.59 but the problem STILL PERSISTS

Strange. I've been recommending driver 388.71, and that seems to work for people. Be sure to do a DDU uninstall in safe mode first (usually a good idea when down-grading to older drivers).
  • Dean.DrakeDean.Drake Posts: 1
    NerveGear
      I am very disappointed with customer service. I have been emailing back and forth since Christmas and all of a sudden I stop hearing from them. I am having issue with sound and lagging video. I have i7 6770 with GTX 1070. I have sent them logs and still they have not got back with me. I return the first set, thinking that I might be the head set but still having the same issue. Then I called the video card company to see if it was the card but the was not it. I replace the card to see if the problem persisted and it still did.  I have been very disappointed all around with the produce and customer service.     
  • Sharkster-NVRSharkster-NVR Posts: 74
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 2018
    Sethiest said:

I've tried everything in this thread and nothing seems to be working. I even reset my PC to try and remove everything that may be conflicting - no luck. 

My PC,
    i7 4790k
    GTX 1070
    32 ram.

Also I'm on Driver 390.77. I tried a clean reinstall of that as well but it didn't work. 

Urrrrggghh it was working fine before why'd they have to mess around with it. So frustrating. 

Edit: Rolled back to 388.59 but the problem STILL PERSISTS

I had to roll back to drivers from July/August to get rid of the stuttering. I'm currently on 384.94 and everything's smooth as it was on the first day. No chance with newer driver. I have the exact same configuration you have (32 GB, GTX 1070), but a different i7 and I'm on a notebook. Is yours a notebook too?

@Dean.Drake said:
    I have i7 6770 with GTX 1070. 

Another notebook with said configurations and issues with newer NVidia drivers. Interesting.
    ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170
  • SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I'm having the same issue, I haven't used my rift for a few months and I've tried to use it and all I get is the white hourglass then nothing. The screen is actually on because I can see it and sound comes through fine.

Going through the setup, I get the eye setting with the green cross and then nothing after that.

I've done a fresh install of drivers and using 388.71 and no luck. My other normal games work, rift doesnt though.
  • SirPhilMcKrakenSirPhilMcKraken Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Ok so I tried what someone suggested on an old post somewhere, I unplugged both Rift and monitor and plugged them back in with the rift first and it works. Can this be somehow fixed permanently?
    edited February 2018
    Hi, @Dean.Drake. It sounds to me like a software conflict on your computer. Most likely it's the Asus software that may have been installed with your motherboard. Specifically Asus Sonic Suite and Asus AI Suite are known to cause problems and should be uninstalled. Other audio apps can cause issues as well, specifically M-Audio. I'd also watch out for GPU monitor or overlay apps such as MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, F.lux, etc.
  • maxx11111maxx11111 Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    https://support.oculus.com/
    If you are using an Nvidia GPU and currently experiencing display or performance issues with your Oculus Rift, please make sure you're using driver version 388.59. Later versions may cause compatibility issues with Oculus software.

• UBSERDUBSERD Posts: 349
    Nexus 6
    I guess Oculus doesn’t scower the posts enough. Even though on the support page it says the best GTX driver at the moment is 388.59, above Sethiest says that driver isn’t working right either. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    UBSERD said:
    Even though on the support page it says the best GTX driver at the moment is 388.59
    Where does it say that? I can't find it.

Anyway... 388.59 is were I already had the trouble. 384.94 is 100% safe.
    Although, I've proclaiming this for quite some time now, I think I didn't get any real feedback from someone trying the driver. Funny.
    ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170
    UBSERD said:
    Even though on the support page it says the best GTX driver at the moment is 388.59
    Where does it say that? I can't find it.

Anyway... 388.59 is were I already had the trouble. 384.94 is 100% safe.
    Although, I've proclaiming this for quite some time now, I think I didn't get any real feedback from someone trying the driver. Funny.
    Nothing earlier than 388.31 works with Core 2.0/Dash, which is why the recommendation is to go with one of the 388 versions.
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2018
    Yeah unfortunately 384.94 gave me issues with my PC when I tried it. It tells me to update or use the original home. When using the original home it still stutters and some games don’t work at all or have increased performance issues on my end :(
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,414 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    @UBSERD - The stuttering is down to your computer. You've had this stuttering problem for over a year looking back on your posts. I tried to hep you with it and the last I heard you were taken it to a computer repair guy. You also purchased a laptop that was in no way good enough for CV1..
    Nexus 6
    Hey Redrizla or lovethis. You are mistaken sir. I just got a brand new PC 3 weeks ago with a intel 7700, GTX 1080 ti, 16 gigs intel ram and it performs the same as on my older PC.

When 388.71 was released it was running okay over the weekend finally, until oculus just had that micro update yesterday now both have gone to shot again. So.... the oculus updates are affecting people differently. You don’t seem to understand that man. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    nalex66 said:Nothing earlier than 388.31 works with Core 2.0/Dash, which is why the recommendation is to go with one of the 388 versions.
    Yea, I'm aware of that. However, you can choose to go with "Classic Home" and everything's fine. At least on my end, the difference between the 384 and the 388 generation is already very noticable regarding micro-stuttering and jitters.

Anyway, it all sounds as if Nvidia is starting to become aware of the issues, so we probably see some improvement here soon. Too bad that many people who start their VR experiences today with a current Nvidia driver will have an aweful time, thinking that VR (at least with the Rift) is still in its deep infancy.

This might significantly hurt the development (and acceptance) of VR overall,... which is a shame IMO. Drivers shouldn't be released when multiple generation subsequently cause heavy trouble. One might think that especially for VR, stuff gets tested a whole lot more than Nvidia actually does.
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2018
    If updates from oculus or nvidia directly affect my performance on both Rigs how possibly could it be my PCs?
    Nexus 6
    edited February 2018
    I even bought 2 of the $80 StarTech USB 3.0s to be sure it wasn’t a bandwidth issue but those things are overkill and still get hitching. Constant judder is gone but hitching in everything including home 2.0, and loading stutter remains in a few games. 

This is was not the case over the weekend on either rig though. Both smooth as butter until the latest oculus micro update.
  • BoneboysBoneboys Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited February 2018
    If you are using an Nvidia GPU and currently experiencing display or performance issues with your Oculus Rift, please make sure you're using driver version 388.59. Later versions may cause compatibility issues with Oculus software.
    I just got this Notification popup logging in for the first time today !
    So it's official !
    Running 388.71, which seems to be working fine (Core 2.0/Dash) after rolling back from 390.65.

Anyone rolled back from 388.71 to 388.59 and noticed an improvement ?

Thanks...
    Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,414 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    UBSERD said:
    Hey Redrizla or lovethis. You are mistaken sir. I just got a brand new PC 3 weeks ago with a intel 7700, GTX 1080 ti, 16 gigs intel ram and it performs the same as on my older PC.

When 388.71 was released it was running okay over the weekend finally, until oculus just had that micro update yesterday now both have gone to shot again. So.... the oculus updates are affecting people differently. You don’t seem to understand that man. 

@UBSERD - That might be because you have some software installed on both PC's that causes a problem. How did your old PC spring back to life and run smooth as butter after it was causing you problems for so long? Your posts suggested you had problems for a long time, so that's why I wrote what I did. I felt it was something you were installing that's causing these problems. So how did the old Pc start to run smooth again? The last I heard is you were taken it to a repair bloke and purchased a Laptop.