cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift not working with Nvidia Driver 390.65

Zellfreid
Explorer
I used my Oculus Rift a few days ago without issues, but I recently downloaded the new Nvidia Driver. Now the screen won't turn on, and the indicator light that should turn white when functioning stays orange. I tried restarting my computer, and the headset screen still won't turn on.

Has anyone else had this issue? I have not reverted drivers yet, but I will return and respond after I do. In the meantime, please let me know if anyone else has the same problem.

UPDATE Jan 14: Confirmed: Rift works fine with Nvidia Driver 388.59. Others say a clean reinstall of current drivers works, too, but I don't exactly know how to go about doing that.

UPDATE Feb 11: If experiencing intermittent black screen between working sessions try in the Oculus App: Settings > Beta > Restart Oculus
84 REPLIES 84

Sharkster-NVR
Protege

UBSERD said:

Even though on the support page it says the best GTX driver at the moment is 388.59

Where does it say that? I can't find it.

Anyway... 388.59 is were I already had the trouble. 384.94 is 100% safe.
Although, I've proclaiming this for quite some time now, I think I didn't get any real feedback from someone trying the driver. Funny.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

nalex66
MVP
MVP

UBSERD said:

Even though on the support page it says the best GTX driver at the moment is 388.59

Where does it say that? I can't find it.

Anyway... 388.59 is were I already had the trouble. 384.94 is 100% safe.
Although, I've proclaiming this for quite some time now, I think I didn't get any real feedback from someone trying the driver. Funny.

Nothing earlier than 388.31 works with Core 2.0/Dash, which is why the recommendation is to go with one of the 388 versions.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah unfortunately 384.94 gave me issues with my PC when I tried it. It tells me to update or use the original home. When using the original home it still stutters and some games don’t work at all or have increased performance issues on my end 😞

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@UBSERD - The stuttering is down to your computer. You've had this stuttering problem for over a year looking back on your posts. I tried to hep you with it and the last I heard you were taken it to a computer repair guy. You also purchased a laptop that was in no way good enough for CV1..

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Redrizla or lovethis. You are mistaken sir. I just got a brand new PC 3 weeks ago with a intel 7700, GTX 1080 ti, 16 gigs intel ram and it performs the same as on my older PC.

When 388.71 was released it was running okay over the weekend finally, until oculus just had that micro update yesterday now both have gone to shot again. So.... the oculus updates are affecting people differently. You don’t seem to understand that man. 

Sharkster-NVR
Protege

nalex66 said:Nothing earlier than 388.31 works with Core 2.0/Dash, which is why the recommendation is to go with one of the 388 versions.

Yea, I'm aware of that. However, you can choose to go with "Classic Home" and everything's fine. At least on my end, the difference between the 384 and the 388 generation is already very noticable regarding micro-stuttering and jitters.

Anyway, it all sounds as if Nvidia is starting to become aware of the issues, so we probably see some improvement here soon. Too bad that many people who start their VR experiences today with a current Nvidia driver will have an aweful time, thinking that VR (at least with the Rift) is still in its deep infancy.

This might significantly hurt the development (and acceptance) of VR overall,... which is a shame IMO. Drivers shouldn't be released when multiple generation subsequently cause heavy trouble. One might think that especially for VR, stuff gets tested a whole lot more than Nvidia actually does.
ERAZER X7849 Notebook - CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK - GPU: GTX 1070, 8 GB GDDR5 RAM - RAM: 32 GB (4x 8 GB DDR4 HYNIX PC4 17000 DUAL CHANNEL) - MAINBOARD: INTEL HM170

Anonymous
Not applicable
If updates from oculus or nvidia directly affect my performance on both Rigs how possibly could it be my PCs?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I even bought 2 of the $80 StarTech USB 3.0s to be sure it wasn’t a bandwidth issue but those things are overkill and still get hitching. Constant judder is gone but hitching in everything including home 2.0, and loading stutter remains in a few games. 

This is was not the case over the weekend on either rig though. Both smooth as butter until the latest oculus micro update.

Boneboys
Protege
If you are using an Nvidia GPU and currently experiencing display or performance issues with your Oculus Rift, please make sure you're using driver version 388.59. Later versions may cause compatibility issues with Oculus software.
I just got this Notification popup logging in for the first time today !
So it's official !
Running 388.71
, which seems to be working fine (Core 2.0/Dash) after rolling back from 390.65.

Anyone rolled back from 
388.71 to 388.59 and noticed an improvement ?

Thanks...
Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

UBSERD said:

Hey Redrizla or lovethis. You are mistaken sir. I just got a brand new PC 3 weeks ago with a intel 7700, GTX 1080 ti, 16 gigs intel ram and it performs the same as on my older PC.

When 388.71 was released it was running okay over the weekend finally, until oculus just had that micro update yesterday now both have gone to shot again. So.... the oculus updates are affecting people differently. You don’t seem to understand that man. 

@UBSERD - That might be because you have some software installed on both PC's that causes a problem. How did your old PC spring back to life and run smooth as butter after it was causing you problems for so long? Your posts suggested you had problems for a long time, so that's why I wrote what I did. I felt it was something you were installing that's causing these problems. So how did the old Pc start to run smooth again? The last I heard is you were taken it to a repair bloke and purchased a Laptop.