cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade your usb 3 drivers!.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
(if you have a fresco logic / inatek usb3 card) For months now my pc has been suffering long boot times, and on top of that (not VR related) if my X55, my X56 flight sticks or my fanatec gt2 race wheel were plugged in, maybe 25% of the time my pc simply would not boot at all until i unplugged these usb devices.

then the last rift update broke things even more and i had to reboot 2 or 3 times to get into VR.  i was pissed at oculus for breaking this, then cybereality posted saying to go to the MS usb 3 drivers released in december last year (before then i had used the old MS ones but actually had more joy with the Fresco Logic drivers (or so i thought, i did not twig it could be those causing my boot issues)

now on going to the MS drivers (I admit it is early days) I have not had a single failed boot, boot times are super fast, - like they should be i have a 512gb M2 drive - and of course my VR is flawless again.

my angst was missplaced at oculus... however that said, the new rift software should be far more clear ie BIG LETTERS on loading in, that the fresco logic drivers are not supported and to use the MS december 2017 ones.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
20 REPLIES 20

Boneboys
Protege
Did you not get error messages with the Fresco drivers ?
I did, we all did as far as I'm aware !
FYI...

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/571066#Comment_571066
Get a Grasp, get a Grip, get Rifting.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
my issue was it was intermittant. sometimes it would say upgrade your driver, sometimes it wouldnt and would give me green lights.
also on checking there WAS no update for the fresco logic driver.
given back at the start of touch support there were all sorts of problems for some of us (i didnt have working touch until AFTER the price cut - which was a bugbear of mine at the time but i digress).

so, after the last update I (wrongly as it happens) put these issues down the oculus breaking something in their update.   YES (sometimes) under devices it said update your driver - but there was no warning what so ever on the top page, it was only there IF i went into devices.... and imo ideally the upgrade your driver should be a hot link that on pressing actually should do it for us imo, just like my gpu drivers if i click update rather than having to try to find the right driver ourselves.

given CV1 is no longer a devkit i just feel oculus need to hand hold a bit more and spell things out in black or which in a manner which is not missable.

(but as i said this is not a moan post at all, i am v happy 🙂 )
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
I use a global Driver Updater for all my hardware .. iobit's It's a bit naggy so just install it once, get your drivers up to date and uninstall it again. https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

I haven't had any issues with any hardware for a long time now by keeping it all updated. When I used it for the first time, I had drivers from 2014/13 on the system for a lot of bits!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@LZoltowski - I don't trust programs that tell you they can update all your drivers for you. Programs like this spell trouble for me. I don't know how good they are today when it actually comes to given you the correct driver, but they used to cause all sorts of problems. I always stick to the manufacture websites for my drivers. Apart from my graphics Card driver which I do get from the Nvidia site..

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@bigmike20vt - So are you saying these MS drivers work with the Fresco Logik usb card or does it make that card redundant? I take it you Microsoft drivers when you mention MS, is that what MS stands for?

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Yes it is, and the windows standard usb drivers will work with the fresco afaik. From what Ivé read from others posts here they seem to work better with the rift.
 However so many glitches these days that it´s hard to figure out where all the troubles people have are actually coming from imo.
Be good, die great !

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

@bigmike20vt - So are you saying these MS drivers work with the Fresco Logik usb card or does it make that card redundant? I take it you Microsoft drivers when you mention MS, is that what MS stands for?

The MS drivers for my Fresco Logic card are working great for me.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RedRizla said:

yeah it is the microsoft version of the fresco logic drivers which is working for me..... it does not make the card redundant.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer
The Microsoft version of fresco logic drivers are working fine here.