cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fallout 4 VR Beta 1.1.24.0 Patch Impressions

DNACowboy
Adventurer

Well, I've spent some serious time with Fallout 4 VR since the latest patch and can honestly say without doubt this game is by far the best VR experience I have ever had, bar none. In fact, the experience is so good that I keep looking around for my faithful German Shepherd 'Dogmeat' when I exit the game!

Moving on, the external navigation hud on power armour now works flawlessly, bringing to the player a whole new sense of in-game interactivity rarely experienced.
Due to a slightly rushed release, one of the major complaints from Fallout fans was the missing scope functionality. Good news, Bethseda have really done themselves proud and implemented the scope functionality perfectly and yes, they do all work amazingly well. The scopes I have tried are recon which work as they should and night vision, the reticles of which are absolutely first class, giving the player an unequalled shooting experience. 'Huh? how come you claim to know that generic gamer?' I hear you ask. Well, I shoot tactical (5.56mm and 7.62) and F-class (.338) in the real on a regular basis. Obviously because Fallout 4 VR is a game first and foremost, windage and elevation are all pretty much discounted but hey, that's okay as the experience is really fun. 

In closing, I cannot wait to check out how my power armour helmet sensor mods will look visually either once I have unlocked Gun Nut 4 and Science 3 which brings me to a question: I built the 'red tactical lamp' for my power armour helmet; unfortunately, my lamp remains the same yet my companion's works perfectly. So, my question is this, has anyone (probably our F4VR expert Nalex66) else got their red tactical helmet mod to work on their own power armour?
Who is John Galt?
37 REPLIES 37

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
At some point im gonna get FO4 .. Just waiting for the right sale.
 Also im so dreaming of that bethesda will implement rift support themself.
That said im glad that they have taken the community serious and are building the VR version to be what it was supposed to when it was first released.
Be good, die great !

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
They are nothing but a bunch of fools. Losing out on sales because they won't implement Oculus Touch Support, is just ridiculous in my book. It isn't even spitting Oculus who are probably laughing at such a move. The only people this affects is their customer base. I purchased a fair few of their games in the past, but I won't be doing that in a rush again. So there's noway to play this game with Oculus Touch?

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Actually reading a lot of reviews many people say that with the right mapping, the touch controllers works better than with the wands.
 However, as you say. Im not going anywhere near it at the price it´s at right now when they don´t even bother to implement rift support due to some conflicts from the past.
Be good, die great !

residentweevil
Expert Protege
The legal issues are still ongoing and will be for the foreseeable future, so I really wouldn't worry about holding on for official Rift support. 

The game is in a sale at the Humble store at the moment and feels a bit more reasonably priced so I took the plunge yesterday. I need to tweak the controls a little more but as a veteran of 500+ hours in the base game, I'm more then happy with how this looks and feels so far.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ve been enjoying the new scopes added in the patch, but I haven’t used power armour since the update. @DNACowboy, can you describe what the new “external navigation HUD” is exactly?

@RedRizla you can play the game on Touch controllers, with a bit of tweaking. There’s a third-party add-on for SteamVR called OpenVR Input Emulator which fixes a couple issues with the thumbsticks (specific to Fallout 4 VR), and also allows you to remap controls. SteamVR will soon have built-in controller remapping, which will hopefully make it even easier to sort out issues like these. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@nalex66 - Where is this software and is it a pain in the arse to setup? How do you have it setup?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Here's the link (download the one called "OpenVR-InputEmulator-v1.3.exe). Set up is a breeze, just run the exe and it will install itself into SteamVR. It shows up as a sub-menu in the SteamVR menu environment. Press the left Touch menu button to open the SteamVR menu, either in SteamVR's Home environment, or from within a game.

You create a remapping profile in the Input Emulator menu within the SteamVR. You also launch the profile from there when you want to play FO4VR. I've written up the procedure for remapping along with the control scheme I like to use in a few threads. Here's one.

You should also opt-in to the SteamVR beta called "openvr-inputemulator-temporary". The current release of SteamVR has started changing the way input is handled as they prepare to release their own input remapping function, and it broke some of the remapping capabilities of Input Emulator. The beta retains the old mapping scheme so that Input Emulator will continue to work. In your Steam desktop app, switch your library to Tools, right-click on SteamVR, click Properties, and go to the beta tab to opt in.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@nalex66 - So is steam releasing one that will work in the same way?

nalex66
MVP
MVP
They are working toward their own built-in remapping solution. Hopefully it will cover all our needs, but we don't know when it will release or how comprehensive it will be.

One of the things Input Emulator fixes is a deadzone issue--for reasons unknown, thumbstick clicks don't register in Fallout 4 VR if the stick is right in the centre. Input Emulator adds a slight offset whenever your thumb is touching the stick to compensate. I suspect it may still be useful for this, if nothing else.

The other oddity with FO4VR is how it uses touchpad swipes for menu scrolling. When you try to do it with a thumbstick, the stick snapping back to centre registers as a reverse swipe, causing you to scroll back up when you're trying to scroll down. Input Emulator added a touchpad emulation mode which ignores positional changes while the thumbstick is moving back to centre, which helps a lot with navigating menus. This too may be something that isn't fixed with Steam's solution--we'll have to see when they release it.