cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift display doesnt turn back on if I take the rift off (Found temporary fix)

zalavis
Explorer
So ever since the last update on 2/09/18, whenever I take off my VR headset while in game for more than 15 seconds, the moment I try putting the headset back on the display stays off and it wont work again until I restart the oculus software. I've tried reinstalling, didnt fix it. I heard other people in games like VRChat having this issue, but I havent heard anything on the forums about it so I thought I'd bring it up. 
This bug pretty much makes it so I must keep my headset on at all times because the second I take it off, the display wont turn back on unless I restart my computer pretty much, and its incredibly annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

Note: Found a temporary fix. If you have guardian system, turn it off. Ever since I turned it off the display turns back on when I put the headset back on. Still, I love guardian system. I hope they fix this bug soon.
20 REPLIES 20

srodulfo
Honored Guest
yup i am having same issue

zalavis
Explorer
I found a fix. Turn off guardian system if you have it on. It seems to be a problem with Guardian system

MowTin
Expert Trustee
It's worse for me. If I shutdown the Rift after a session, the next time day it won't work. 

It takes forever for the HMD to turn on. I finally hear a beep from Win 10 then I hear another beep and it disconnects and goes black. I have to reboot to fix this. 

This only started happening recently--maybe a week.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

zalavis
Explorer

MowTin said:

It's worse for me. If I shutdown the Rift after a session, the next time day it won't work. 

It takes forever for the HMD to turn on. I finally hear a beep from Win 10 then I hear another beep and it disconnects and goes black. I have to reboot to fix this. 

This only started happening recently--maybe a week.

It's times like these where I wish I had gotten an HTC Vive. I havent used the Vive, but I hear nothing but good things from it how they are much further along than the rift. The Rift is great when it works, but it seems like there's always some issue that keeps me from being able to play nuisance free.
Its always something with the rift, either the display turns off and wont turn back on, or the Guardian System "isnt working properly" or the large amount of updates every few days that end up breaking something, or tracking not working properly, or needing to restart my computer 2-3 times because my computer isnt detecting the oculus rift for some reason. There's always something wrong with the rift that always has me needing to do something before I can play. I can never just put it on and just play, there's always something I have to do.

Danure
Explorer
I don't have an answer, but glad to know I'm not alone!

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you're on Nvidia, you must use driver 388.59. Newer drivers may cause black screens and other compatibility issues. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

LeroyJennnkins
Honored Guest
the 388.59 drivers do not fix this.   I'm running them and I still get this problem.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'll just live with it and reboot until it's fixed. I'm afraid to rollback. It could make things even worse. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

MowTin said:

I'll just live with it and reboot until it's fixed. I'm afraid to rollback. It could make things even worse. 

Fwiw, when this happens you can just stop the Oculus service for a moment or so, then the light in the headset will go from white to amber (means it is now released properly). Start the service again, and good to go. 
Quicker than a PC-Reboot. I use the OTT to stop and start the service. 
Works for me each time it does this. I am on the latest Nvidia drivers - no desire to clean install an older driver myself.

It will be nice though when this issue does get fixed properly.