cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

upgrade your usb 3 drivers!.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
(if you have a fresco logic / inatek usb3 card) For months now my pc has been suffering long boot times, and on top of that (not VR related) if my X55, my X56 flight sticks or my fanatec gt2 race wheel were plugged in, maybe 25% of the time my pc simply would not boot at all until i unplugged these usb devices.

then the last rift update broke things even more and i had to reboot 2 or 3 times to get into VR.  i was pissed at oculus for breaking this, then cybereality posted saying to go to the MS usb 3 drivers released in december last year (before then i had used the old MS ones but actually had more joy with the Fresco Logic drivers (or so i thought, i did not twig it could be those causing my boot issues)

now on going to the MS drivers (I admit it is early days) I have not had a single failed boot, boot times are super fast, - like they should be i have a 512gb M2 drive - and of course my VR is flawless again.

my angst was missplaced at oculus... however that said, the new rift software should be far more clear ie BIG LETTERS on loading in, that the fresco logic drivers are not supported and to use the MS december 2017 ones.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
20 REPLIES 20

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Can someone give me a link to the MS drivers please? cheers!

bigmike20vt
Visionary
you dont need a link, just uninstall the drivers and then on rebooting windows should automatically pick the correct ones... (i think - it worked for me anyway)
in device manager, go to usb devices, right mouse button on the fresco ones and uninstall.
once done, then reboot and cross fingers.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
One change in Windows 10 that has got right on my tits (think it was the Fall update but I could be wrong) is the removal of the link to Device Manager from the Devices settings. They changed it from Device Manager to Devices and printers. 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable

snowdog said:

One change in Windows 10 that has got right on my tits (think it was the Fall update but I could be wrong) is the removal of the link to Device Manager from the Devices settings. They changed it from Device Manager to Devices and printers. 😞

Say what?
I have Device Manager listed right in control panel, just beside Devices and Printers... I have the Fall Creators update as well.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
cant you just RMB on my computer and go to device manager from there?  on linux box right now so cant check

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

snowdog said:

Say what?
I have Device Manager listed right in control panel, just beside Devices and Printers... I have the Fall Creators update as well.

It's still there in Control Panel, but there used to be direct link to it in Windows Settings>Devices. They've now replaced that with Devices And Printers. So now I have to go to Devices And Printers, then clicking on Control Panel in the address bar and then getting to it from there.

Mot666
Expert Protege
I've had no problems with my inatek, the problems I've been having have been from that fall creators update. internet dongle not working, with unsatisfactory, unreliable workaround and slow speeds. oh and no promised fix yet either (it was due months ago). shutdown doesn't power off most of the time and needs the switch on the psu to be flipped. restart hangs most of the time till blue screen. although I do have problems with usb connectivity on the front panel ports sometimes, but that was only since the fall creators update.

Mnem0nic
Protege

snowdog said:

dburne said:

snowdog said:

Say what?

It's still there in Control Panel, but there used to be direct link to it in Windows Settings>Devices. They've now replaced that with Devices And Printers. So now I have to go to Devices And Printers, then clicking on Control Panel in the address bar and then getting to it from there.

If you're using Win 10 you could just right click on the "Start Menu Button" and select "Device Manager" from there 😉 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mnem0nic said:

snowdog said:

dburne said:

snowdog said:

Say what?

If you're using Win 10 you could just right click on the "Start Menu Button" and select "Device Manager" from there 😉 

Yup. There's also a Windows button + some key or other that brings up the same menu. Except Windows installation is buggered and neither of these things work.

I keep on meaning to go Scorched Earth on my SSD but I haven't got around to it yet. I tried a fresh installation keeping all files and folders a while ago but it didn't fix the problem.

I used to do a format and reinstall every year with Windows but Windows 10 is a lot more stable than previous versions of Windows so I haven't felt the need to for a few years.

It's on my list of things to do lol

Inachu
Protege
Or in the Cortana search field on task bar just type in: CONTROL PANEL and click on it and you will see the old style control panel and not the new jazzed up pastel crappy control panel.