cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats the longest you have spent in VR?

Glaidr
Protege
Hi Folks, 

Quick question! What is the longest you have spent in VR, in any one session? Have a marathon coming up, an with my new toy, i'm planing on spending most of it in VR!!

Leave answer in comments below 😃
34 REPLIES 34

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Without a break, probably 3 hours. That's about how long a MP match in DCS can go before the server crashes or the mission gets rotated. I suspect I've put in some similar stints in From Other Suns over the past couple weeks. It's always just one more jump it seems.

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
Recently I've been having 10-14 hour sessions at weekends.  (Last night I was in from 8AM till 10PM!)
Breaking only for a quick bite to eat/toilet, and then straight back in.
I do feel a little "thick headed" when finished, but it only last abut an hour.

One thing I have noticed is occasionally, in "Real life", I have vision glitches like when the HMD looses tracking and the whole VR world glitch/slides in and out quickly by about 6 inches.
Not sure if my brain is expecting it to happen, so manifests it itself!?
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

LZoltowski
Champion

Recently I've been having 10-14 hour sessions at weekends.  (Last night I was in from 8AM till 10PM!)
Breaking only for a quick bite to eat/toilet, and then straight back in.
I do feel a little "thick headed" when finished, but it only last abut an hour.

One thing I have noticed is occasionally, in "Real life", I have vision glitches like when the HMD looses tracking and the whole VR world glitch/slides in and out quickly by about 6 inches.
Not sure if my brain is expecting it to happen, so manifests it itself!?

I had the same experience after Playing Lone Echo for 3 hours straight. Experienced a strange glitch in my vision a few times, also felt a little bit weightless and wanted to grab surfaces to push myself off.

Another strange side effect of a prolonged VR session is a sense that "real life" feels hyper-real, everything is a tad sharper and more 3dimensional for at least 30 minutes.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

CrashFu said:

10 hours in Elite Dangerous.   That was actually pretty normal for me at the beginning of last year;  I had just lost a job, gotten cheated out of unemployment benefits, and in the three months it took me to get hired anywhere else, pretty much all I did was play Elite Dangerous and watch Star Trek Voyager.  :neutral:

And before you ask, no, I really didn't suffer any kind of fatigue from such long sessions.  Meanwhile if I play games on a regular computer monitor for three or four hours I usually end up with a migraine.

similar to me (but without the job loss - glad you got yourself sorted on that front - .
i have contemplated sleeping in VR, as some sort of experiment.... but not got around to it yet .

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Glaidr
Protege

CrashFu said:

10 hours in Elite Dangerous.   That was actually pretty normal for me at the beginning of last year;  I had just lost a job, gotten cheated out of unemployment benefits, and in the three months it took me to get hired anywhere else, pretty much all I did was play Elite Dangerous and watch Star Trek Voyager.  :neutral:

And before you ask, no, I really didn't suffer any kind of fatigue from such long sessions.  Meanwhile if I play games on a regular computer monitor for three or four hours I usually end up with a migraine.

similar to me (but without the job loss - glad you got yourself sorted on that front - .
i have contemplated sleeping in VR, as some sort of experiment.... but not got around to it yet .

Would you have anything running? i feel you would need to be careful with tracking. 

Let us know how you get on!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
8 hours straight one comfort break. Epic mission with 4 air 2 air refuels in DCS. Was totally fooked afterwards but no vision probs and no headaches. Just drained after the flight 🙂 loved every second.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
During the From Other Suns free weekend (and about 2 weeks after), I was enjoying 6+ hour sessions almost daily.

I don't get to enjoy that kind of leisure time often, but it is Winter season and being indoors is all the rage. So I'm taking full advantage!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Almost 3 hours in No One Lives Forever 2, same with DoomBFG - and I have watched a few movies on Netflix in Big Screen. Most of the games that came with the Rift I tend to spend 25 to 45 minutes on at a time. I have put about 30 hours into my headset since I got it on Jan. 25th.

I find that mostly I need to take a break from having the weight on my face when I am gaming - but if I am watching a movie in Big Screen I can go about 2 hours without any issue. As much as I love the gaming - especially the tactile stuff like Robo Recall or Virtual Rick-ality, I think Big Screen has been worth the price of admission for me. I love watching movies on a giant fake movie screen, it is just the best.

I haven't really had any moments of nausea - at least I was expecting it to be more pronounced.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can do 7 or 8 hours in Elite Dangerous without a problem. It's something I have to be careful about because of my diabetes because if I miss meals or injections I can get myself into all sorts of trouble. 😮

I still split my gaming time between VR and monitor but Medium was the first time I got sucked into long sessions in the Rift, with a few lasting 4-5 hours. My only problem is whenever I spend so much time enjoying a single program... I get a bit of burn-out and then just want to do something else.