cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift display doesnt turn back on if I take the rift off (Found temporary fix)

zalavis
Explorer
So ever since the last update on 2/09/18, whenever I take off my VR headset while in game for more than 15 seconds, the moment I try putting the headset back on the display stays off and it wont work again until I restart the oculus software. I've tried reinstalling, didnt fix it. I heard other people in games like VRChat having this issue, but I havent heard anything on the forums about it so I thought I'd bring it up. 
This bug pretty much makes it so I must keep my headset on at all times because the second I take it off, the display wont turn back on unless I restart my computer pretty much, and its incredibly annoying. Anyone else having this issue?

Note: Found a temporary fix. If you have guardian system, turn it off. Ever since I turned it off the display turns back on when I put the headset back on. Still, I love guardian system. I hope they fix this bug soon.
20 REPLIES 20

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you're experiencing a problem, please upload your LogGatherer zip file here. See this thread for details.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're experiencing a problem, please upload your LogGatherer zip file here. See this thread for details.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Headset does not release after closing Oculus Home majority of time ( light in headset remains white). Putting headset back on results in no display in headset.  I have to stop the service for a few moments ( then light turns amber) then start the service again to get it working again. 

Log gatherer attached.

Anonymous
Not applicable
C'mon gang, I know several are having this issue - if your are please take a couple moments to upload the log gather file as cybereality requested.
Maybe the more info they get the quicker they can figure this one out.

TravisPNW
Adventurer
Just found this thread.  Been having the same issues for a week or so that are fixed with a reboot.  Will see about the log file when I get home later.

@zalavis   Been using my Rift since I built my PC a year ago... and this is the first issue I've had with it... so no, it isn't "always something with the Rift."  Bugs happen...  and LOL at the Vive controllers.  Yuck.
LG CX OLED 48 / i9 10900k / RTX 3090 FE / 64GB / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / Oculus Quest 2 256GB

msm903
Protege
Similar issue to the rest of the people.

whistler9981
Honored Guest
Holy freaking crap, I'm just happy to find other people having this problem, I thought something was wrong with my rift.  for me restarting the oculus software doesn't fix it, I have to reboot my computer completely and ever time I reboot it comes back on with no problem, but the second you take it off, no go, on coming back on.  I'll try turning off the guardian system tonight although I really like having it on.  I also didn't make the connection that it had been doing it since the update on 02/09/19 until I read that, but that is exactly when this started.

whistler9981
Honored Guest
@zalavis just an update, I tried your fix last night and you were spot on, it worked like a charm, I took the headset off multiple times and left it sitting on my desk for varying amounts of time and every single time I came back and put it on, the display came on with no problem at all.  Thanks for the info, I do still hope this is addressed though because I do like the guardian system, especially when my youngest is playing table tennis, she gets a little into it...LOL 

TravisPNW
Adventurer
Yeah disabling guardian works... unfortunate but whatever.  Not nearly as annoying as having to reboot every time you took off the headset and then put it back on.
LG CX OLED 48 / i9 10900k / RTX 3090 FE / 64GB / 3x 2TB 970 Evo Plus / Oculus Quest 2 256GB

Everborn128
Explorer
So do we have a fix for this yet? I need to reboot Everytime now to get this fixed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That was fixed ( apparently for most) some time ago I think. You may have a little different issue.