cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's up with the lack of downloadable drivers, Oculus?

uKER
Adventurer
Seeing how the driver package has lately grown up to 4.9 gigabytes, I'm hereby revisiting an issue I've always had with Oculus.
Is there any reason for making us redownload the whole thing every time we need to reinstall Windows or perform a repair install of the drivers?
I'm currently having the "No HDMI connection" issue and this week alone I've had to redownload this thing three times already.

And me being on a lousy 5 Mbps connection (god bless South America), we're talking a 2.5-hour process AT BEST.

Is there really a valid reason for this world-class annoyance?
@cybereality ?
6 REPLIES 6

Xboxmember1978
Expert Protege
I absolutely can't agree with you more. The only internet provider in my area is satellite and trying to download the software easily takes the amount of time that you're talking about. I also have a monthly data cap and this software redoing it all the time is eating it alive. There is no reason why we can't have an offline installer

Oculus should be ashamed of themselves to see people having to uninstall and reinstall the software 20 times a week

Xboxmember1978
Expert Protege
That's not going to do anything good when the software is this glitchy. Why backup corrupt versions. Unfortunately we(customers) are the guinea pigs testing numerous drivers and software versions to be able to even use our Rifts

uKER
Adventurer

Pabbert said:

Create a system backup maybe? 

So somehow you think that the drivers being 4.9 GB and problematic as they are, it's not reasonable to ask for downloadable driver packages (like any other company provides) and we're supposed to redownload them every single time or struggle our way around the issue ourselves, right?

And no, if you're reinstalling because the system is malfunctioning, backing the whole thing up is definitely not something you'll want to do. Unless you back it up every time you install or change anything, which would be probably numerous times per day.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why not just save the downloaded catch files and load them back in so it skips over downloading those files instead? This would be your fix to not having to redownload 4.9GB of data fix.

Also, I get where they come from. For example, what if you are installing a old version though and it has problems with a later release of either windows or a bug that could brick your headset - then who fault would that be? Look what is going on with just video drivers as it is - people download older drivers and or not update theirs and this causes problems as well. Granted - the ops can happen as well too.

I do agree though I wouldn't mind seeing a simple solution to this as well. Create a "backup" of the download as needed and compare it to the server hash and download as needed instead. This way if they are reinstalling more than once - they can just move the temp files around and you wouldn't need to download unless a change has happen.

That's not going to do anything good when the software is this glitchy. Why backup corrupt versions. Unfortunately we(customers) are the guinea pigs testing numerous drivers and software versions to be able to even use our Rifts

Welcome to Windows, Linux, Mac, and so many other platforms:)

uKER
Adventurer

Mradr said:

Also, I get where they come from. For example, what if you are installing a old version though and it has problems with a later release of either windows or a bug that could brick your headset - then who fault would that be? Look what is going on with just video drivers as it is - people download older drivers and or not update theirs and this causes problems as well. Granted - the ops can happen as well too.

Letting users download driver packages doesn't mean opening the door to everyone using whatever version they like.
You'll always have the forced update upon Oculus Home start.

I don't know if incremental updates are in place right now.
If they do, a small download would get me up to date and running.
If they don't, they can just force you into a full update if you're not on the latest version and be done with it.
Either way, at least if you had an offline copy of the latest version you'd be OK.

Hey peoples, its a law suit. And Face Book. And, they got sued. HARD. So no touch the evidence and stfu XDDDDD.
Doesn't mean one of us can't write an emulator or something, but yeah, they are not honest people. The sensors always fire up instantly. Then, lol Supa pooper software from this cunt that ripped off ID Soft. Snuck out of their building with it on a backup thumb drive, shame shame shame :open_mouth:
https://twitter.com/zafrius// 
Usually there lol