cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are you working on?

Anonymous
Not applicable
After posting my first sculpt, it was quite a while until I got around to making a sketchbook thread.  Sometimes I wanted to post an individual piece, but there really didn't seem to be a place to do that.  Even now, I don't usually post "in-progress" sketches that I may or may not get back to, and generally use finished/mostly finished sculpts in the sketchbook. 

Anyhow, it would be interesting to see what other people are working on once they've posted their "First Medium Sculpt", so here's a place to do that 🙂
527 REPLIES 527

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@LZoltowski Seen tuts about that but not tried it out yet. Might have a go with this guy

LZoltowski
Champion

P3nT4gR4m said:

@LZoltowski Seen tuts about that but not tried it out yet. Might have a go with this guy

Its super good and crazy clever and easy too.

TIP:
Make a blood material or get it from substance share, apply it to the entire model and give that layer a black mask.
Use the particles to paint with white to reveal the bloody parts.

If your model doesn't have a normal map with it ..make sure u set Normal Factor to 0 (ALWAYS). Otherwise, the particles won't stick to the geometry properly. 

So this rock ... all I did was paint some blood at the top edge, the blood then streaked and flowed over the rock automagically. You can set friction, speed, spread, gravity etc ...

09a5cd1i4jzz.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star

How much time did it take you to do each of them?

About 10 to 15 minutes each, but I've been using Blender for years and I know most of the short cuts and quirks.  The more complex building in the front is just two buildings overlapping with a roof stitched in to kind of blend them together, there's nothing really special going on there. The nice thing about importing into Medium is that the meshes don't actually need to be properly solid or closed, they just need to overlap so that there are no open ends. That reduces modeling time in Blender.

DeadlyJoe
Rising Star
the blood then streaked and flowed over the rock automagically. You can set friction, speed, spread, gravity etc ...

Wow. I had no idea it could do that. I'm going to have to try it now.

LZoltowski
Champion
I have started my next project today. I'm going to be working on a cyberpunk cop from a dystopian future. STarted on the helmet today. @InkyTheOctopus 's hard surfaces are insane, and inspired me to do something like that.

wbegmrdcnjnj.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Head is retopped and baked. I love how I'm getting to the stage where I can just casually do this shit in a coiuple of hours. Grinning like a lunatic right now. Tomorrow I'll tidy up the unwrap, do the teeth and gums, knock out a couple of eyeballs, spot of oversculpt in blender then it'll be off for a weekend in substance.

2d3bi9bxepf8.jpg
ou997y8a4gcm.jpg
79b17balb7oj.jpg
v3hwa6klrp8y.jpg

LZoltowski
Champion
Fantastic work on the retopo, how did you get that normal map generated ?

Be kind to one another 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Baked it in blender, along with the diffuse.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
So it turns out there are advantages to getting woken up at half four in the morning by an incontinent dog!

Here he is in substance, straight out of blender. All the detailing is still remapped Medium at this point
xdcc65g097l7.jpg

Now with a smart skin material and some masking
pos82x90oj3c.jpg
Couple of iffy polys around the left eye. I'll take a look at that tonight.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@LZoltowski Dude, you are the god of sex! Tried the particles thing tonight and what a trip! Could have handballed it for sure but that would have taken hours and no way as satisfying as as just watching the blood dribbling down his face in realtime.

Eyes look shonky as hell because they're modelled with separate lenses and I don't take those into substance. They're just clear, shiny blobs with a diffraction index so there's no point them being there and they'd just get in the way
luvwoxepcr8i.jpg
And here he is in cycles with the lenses in place. Still need a bit of work but I won't know for sure until I set up the final lighting. Right now I just have two sun sources for speed but they're hopeless for lighting eyes. Iffy polys still haven't been sorted but they're on my list
qwk7pn4g4v6q.jpg