cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got an e-mail about an Oculus Research study in Seattle, guessing it's a scam?

TheBrianJ
Honored Guest
I just got the following e-mail:

-----
Hello Brian,

You have been contacted via Facebook Participant Recruiting for a study on behalf of Oculus to help understand potential users of Virtual Reality headsets.

We are looking for people 18 years or older to participate in a 90-minute research study on either Monday, February 26th, Tuesday, February 27th, Wednesday, February 28th, Thursday, March 1st, or Friday, March 2nd. The study will be held at Oculus' office in SoDo Seattle. To thank you for your time, you will receive a $125 Amazon e-gift card if you are selected and participate in the study.

If you are interested in participating, please click here to complete this brief survey. If you are selected for the study, we will contact you directly and will receive a follow-up call or email with more details.

We will contact you directly if you are selected for the study.

Please don't hesitate to reply with any questions!

Thank you,

Victoria Kyu | Facebook & Oculus User Research 
1 Hacker Way | Menlo Park | 94025 | CA, US
-----

I'm guessing this is some sort of scam? Just trying to confirm that this is fake. Thank you!

11 REPLIES 11

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Scams usually don't use names but this has your name. Link In @cybereality and he'll let you know 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

cybereality
Grand Champion
This actually is a real email from Oculus. However, please always be safe: don't download or open attachments from emails, roll over and look at links before you click them to see they point to reputable sites, etc. 
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

TheBrianJ
Honored Guest

This actually is a real email from Oculus. However, please always be safe: don't download or open attachments from emails, roll over and look at links before you click them to see they point to reputable sites, etc. 

Well I'll be, it's legit! Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it!

kojack
MVP
MVP
I'm not sure I'd trust an email sent from someone at "1 Hacker Way".
🙂
🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LZoltowski
Champion

kojack said:

🙂
🙂

Lol you could say that about Infinite Loop .. sounds like a bot malfunctioned 
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion

kojack said:

🙂
🙂

That's the real address, though.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

kojack
MVP
MVP
Sure it is.

(Everybody, he's part of the scam!)
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

HunterTierney
Honored Guest
Buddy, of course it's a hoax. 😄

HunterTierney
Honored Guest
You know, this reminded me of the story about Frankenstein. He also thought that all the ideas according to plan. But unfortunately he did not have a forum where he could ask someone else's opinion. You can read about it in the essay on the service https://samples.edusson.com/frankenstein/. Such letters are always a scam if you do not have any official connection with Oculus. But you did the right thing you wrote on the forum, and did not fall for the trick.