cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
132 REPLIES 132

LZoltowski
Champion
Fortunately only I wield the power to strike you people down harder than Ebola on steroids.  (well and other mods)
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
Ill leave this here:

9. Keep threads on-topic.
Do not post irrelevant messages in topics. If you'd like to discuss something other than the topic with another member or members, either discuss it through PM's or make a new thread in the appropriate forum. Don't derail threads.

We should have an off-topic thread called THE THUNDERDOME and let you guys have at it! 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

So a Toxx could be if GO sells less than 21.5 million in 12 month Zenbane (his prediction) he must be banned for 1 year.

If GO sell more than 5 million in 12 months then I shall be banned for 1 year.

Close. Read the Toxx rules again.

You and I would have to make a wager, and we only get banned if we fail to honor the wager.

So,
"If GO sells less than 21.5 million in 12 months then Zenbane will stop talking about sales figures for one year."

Then if I get busted talking about sales figures during those 12 months, I get banned.

Back on topic,

My estimates put Oculus GO "behind" Gear VR in terms of overall sales. I don't think anyone has really tried to present Oculus GO as a Leader that will take the Number 1 spot in Mobile VR. That would probably be an exaggerated claim based on all the other current and future options. However, it is equally exaggeratory to state that Oculus GO has no market and will be a flop.

pyroth309
Visionary
I have a Samsung Note 8 that I love and have no desire to stuff into a GearVR for numerous reasons and I'm still buying an Oculus Go when it comes out. I want something that I can just throw on and quickly put a movie on from the couch or in bed etc that already has all the VR software on it, that doesn't require me to take my phone case off, that doesn't impede on my phone space (I carry 150 gigs of music with me lol) and that is just quick and ready to go.

That said, my main concern with the GO selling well is getting the word out and distinguishing itself enough from the latest batch of VR HMD's out there. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why is this era ignoring Power Charge By WiFi?
This tech is already over 10yrs old now!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

MAC_MAN86 said:

Why is this era ignoring Power Charge By WiFi?
This tech is already over 10yrs old now!!!

Do you mean wireless or WiFi ?
Wifi charging is useless for any power consumption at the Go level unless there has been a million fold increase in power delivery since I last looked into it.

Wireless for the GO would be a pain as the GO would have to have a plate or receptacle to hold it whilst it is charging and would then still be in the way whilst not charging it, a wire connection takes up close to zero space when not in use plus can transfer data whilst charging.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Introduce Power Over WiFi (10yrs old tech used on mobiles)

Anonymous
Not applicable

MAC_MAN86 said:

Introduce Power Over WiFi (10yrs old tech used on mobiles)

Do you have a link as power via WiFi is only available at minuscule power levels.
Wireless charging is a totally different process.

danknugz
Superstar
so what is santa cruz exactly?
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uploadvr.com/standalone-vr-comparison-oculus-vive/amp/
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959