cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we please stop whining in the support threads about how we're going to stop using the rift??

kzintzi
Trustee
I don't know about everyone else but I'm getting a bit tired of looking at threads for updates on support issues and seeing yet another person who's decided that Oculus are shafting them, or keeping them in the dark, or not doing stuff fast enough.

I think we all need to just chill out and stop the "this is the last straw, I'm going to buy a different/sell my rift/opt out of VR entirely" comments in every single thread about a fault or something wrong..

computers are complex things... Microsoft change drivers and many other things in the background on a monthly basis, and doesn't tell anyone it's happening until after the fact (anyone remember when they locked out 80% of all webcams coz they didn't want to deal with legacy codecs without actually telling anyone they were going to do it - happened only last year).

yes it's frustrating, and yes it's annoying (I've got 2 sensors, and can't really play anything that uses Touch ATM as a result of the height glitch), but constantly reading the litany of dummy spits in every thread is getting tired, and if you're actually looking for a real update to the issue reading another whinge about how you "got dun rong" is a pain in the butt.

Also, you're using a bleeding edge piece of hardware - it's been out less than a year and there are a whole swath of things that are new/different about it, including how close it all is to the limits of what can be done with existing hardware.. if this was a mature technology that had been out for several years and a company was jerking you around sure, complain.

All of the devices available right now have issues that crop up from time to time - that's why it's called the bleeding edge.

[let the flaming of Kzintzi begin]
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
56 REPLIES 56

Syrellaris
Rising Star

kevinw729 said:

pyroth309 said:

.....go look on other manufacturers boards.
.....Welcome to Early adoption. 

I agree the other forums are full of complaint - as I stated above, but don't put this all down to early adoption. The VR headset is a difficult system to support, but the reality is that many of the owners were sold a bill of goods that has failed to achieve the hyperbole offered. Be it the ability to offer room-scale with just two cameras, the ability to do all motion tracking with inside-out, or the ability for the glowing wands to offer strong tracking - the current buyer of VR is getting a sub-parr response, the lab rats of what a manufacturer can get away with. 

I believe Oculus has made it quite well known that Roomscale with 2 sensors is not perfect and that 3 sensors is recommended. Remember, it falls on the consumer to do some research as well, while also need to keep an eye on there own pc specifications.

PC has been problematic to begin with, even before VR. With the hundreds of thousands different configurations in the world, so expecting everything on the first version to work flawlessly is a bit of a stretch.

LZoltowski
Champion
@Syrellaris hit a nail on the head there. I dread posts that start with "I know my PC/Laptop doesn't meet minimum specs, but I read somewhere that they managed to get it working" or "I know my laptop is not VR ready but ....". Now I am not lumping everyone into the same group. But its a common occurrence.  
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
It was one of the issues of starting the latest phase of VR adoption from the standpoint of the PC Master-race - the scene is renown for the the modding and customisation aspects. But it is also a very technical area, and not suitable for novices or n00bs!

A factor why the less powerful, but much easier to install PSVR has seen such success, and why the majority of the VR consumer business is reverting to a more "plug-n-play" approach to the mainstream adoption of VR.

This will mean inevitably that the high-end PC scene will have to play second fiddle to a more single solution approach (such as mobileVR or Standalone). And as we have seen there are aspects of the PC VR scene that feel entitled, and will not take this news well.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Champion
@kevinw729 true that. However High-end won't die a quick death I think, if Oculus decides to abandon it, someone else will step into the huge market, will make it easier etc.

I'm still hoping that Santa Cruz 2.0 will have a PC passthrough option somehow so you can plug it in with just a single cable to the PC if you choose to do so. It would be a win/win in my opinion.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

@kevinw729 true that. However High-end won't die a quick death I think, if Oculus decides to abandon it, someone else will step into the huge market, will make it easier etc.

I'm still hoping that Santa Cruz 2.0 will have a PC passthrough option somehow so you can plug it in with just a single cable to the PC if you choose to do so. It would be a win/win in my opinion.

I agree 100% - the PC VR community can take pride in establishing the VR we are getting now, and I for one do not expect them to go quietly into the dark. Though the mainstream may abandon this phase, the PC VR community will keep going - as seen with the PIMAX and Vive, as well as what we can expect with CV2.

I don't think the original OVR team would abandon PC, but they have been sidelined into their own little division (PC, Standalone, Mobile). And it is clear that a lot of the original champions of this approach have left the company, the majority of which moved to work for MS.

The passthrough option has been made to me a number of times - I wonder if OVR would actually consider it? I like the idea of the unit running on its own, but then boosted if plugged into a PC. When I first heard of WinMR, I thought that's what they would have done.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

LZoltowski
Champion

kevinw729 said:
The passthrough option has been made to me a number of times - I wonder if OVR would actually consider it? I like the idea of the unit running on its own, but then boosted if plugged into a PC. When I first heard of WinMR, I thought that's what they would have done.

It would make so much sense to me. Like those MS Surface Laptops, you can disconnect from the keyboard to get a lower performance tablet. It would keep everyone happy. Not only providing a sensorless experience that no doubt would reduce the price of entry for many (no more headaches) but also keep PC enthusiasts with huge rigs happy. I myself wouldn't mind a cord if it meant I can push the visuals to the max. I don't see this being a huge add-on cost for manufacturing either.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Consoles are for the masses, because they allow that easy plug and play without the technical aspect that many pc's carry with them. Sony applied this to their VR version as well and it works quite well. Yet it brings its own set of issues that mostly stem from the limitations these consoles have. 

But consoles are not all plug and play, sometimes a little technical expertise is handy. For example, how many Console users actually know that you can spin the cooling fans on every console in the opposite direction to blow dust out or that many console issues originate from the hard drive.

I personally do not think PC VR will be abandoned any time soon, in fact I believe that over a few years we will start seeing pc's being used as an addition for extra power, while the headsets become standalone. Kind of like the Nintendo Switch design?

LZoltowski
Champion
@Syrellaris  lol we said basically the same thing at the same time

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey guys, it looks like we have some smart people here. I know my server isn't VR ready, but I like to set it up so I can run many different headsets on my server so everyone remotely can play at home or on the go. I only have a 10MB connection so will need to split that up so it can work across different ISPs and so that they can play offline as well. I've seen others get it to work, but I don't understand the steps or how they did it in the first place. Just wondering if someone can tell me all the steps. If not, then I am moving away from Oculus and looking for another solution as I need to get this working before the 20th. Any help would be welcome.

PS I also need a few custom games made that I want for free if at all possible. They also need to be done before the 20th and I need them with good graphics to promote the idea. If you think it can do it let me know and I will split the money I make off this with you.

Thanks,
Mradr

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey it has been 5 mins - anyone? Come on?? I need help!!???