cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus stays black after removing from head and putting it back up

wm79
Explorer
Hey guys, since a few days, when I play Project Cars 2, remove my headset ingame and put it back on, it stays black. The sound works, the LED in the rift is blue/white (whatever color this is) but there is no picture. When I quit the game I cannot start another VR App, the Rift will stay black. I have to restart the Oculus service in order to restore the screen. Any clues?
9 REPLIES 9

Chazmeister
Rising Star
I'm getting this quite bit recently too. I think it's probably a driver problem rather than a hardware one, as a reboot of windows usually clears it. I suspect one of the recent updates either to Win 10 or Oculus Home has caused it.

Draco_
Explorer

I’m having the same problem started after the last Oculus update. Tried updating all drivers to the latest version but I’m still getting this problem. This also only happens when you are playing a game if you are in your home you can put on and take off your headset at any time without a problem.

It isn’t a USB power save problem sound and mic still function and I have power save disabled on my USB ports.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 32768MB RAM

General_Papabea
Honored Guest

Draco_ said:

It isn’t a USB power save problem sound and mic still function and I have power save disabled on my USB ports.

I'm having a similar problem and I suspect it has to do with USB power save. Where would I find that option?

LZoltowski
Champion
You can try re-setting your display adapter in Windows

CTRL + SHIFT + WINDOWS BUTTON + B on your keyboard, your monitor should black briefly.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you're on Nvidia, you must use driver 388.59. Newer drivers may cause black screens and other compatibility issues. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Draco_
Explorer

This issue was occurring before I updated the drivers. Pre-driver
update they were 388.59 and rolling them back to that has made no difference.

Again, this happens only when you launch a game if you stay
in the Oculus home 2.0 you can leave your headset off for hours if you like and
put it back on and the screen turns on. If you launch a game and take the
headset off for a minute it goes into standby and won’t come back on.

Sabrejet
Protege
Are you using Oculus Tray Tools?  The most recent one was most likely the cause of mine doing this.

Edit:   I was wrong... after a 5 day break, it started up again.

Draco_
Explorer

“CTRL + SHIFT + WINDOWS BUTTON + B on your keyboard, your
monitor should black briefly.”

Doesn’t work

“Try restarting the Oculus service (not the app) rather than
rebooting the PC. In the desktop app, go into Settings/Beta, and select Restart
Oculus”

Not only does it not bring back the video it also stops the
sound from working.

Built a second machine with the same specs installed everything
from scratch. Worked for a day then the same issues started to happen.

Only thing installed is Windows 10 Pro and Oculus no other
third party programs associated with Oculus.

So two machines same problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Possible a driver issue still... or could be something wrong with the headset. I would recommend at this point creating a ticket with support and see about getting the ball rolling with them on what they want to do. Might include this thread so they can see what you have done and tried already.