cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam Posts - Don't worry, just ignore & the mods will deal with it

Oh.. I see it's been dealt with.

See, if anyone ever questions the value of moderation ever again... I shall be very angry

30 REPLIES 30

LZoltowski
Champion

I've always sang the praises of having decent internet security installed even though most people these days seem to think Windows Defender is enough.
On a regular basis Defender isn't the software that alerts me to the wrong kind of web activity, then again, maybe I should stop wondering into the areas of the web where the street-lights aren't working.

Like you say @KlodsBrik, I'm also starting to look at CPU use more often, just for comfort... it's not helping my paranoia.

Oh where the lights are red .. wink wink nudge nudge.

aroused underwear GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

The web... it's a very good description, you're flying carefree and innocent, through a dewy morning garden, lit by the optimism of the morning sunshine.

Then all of a sudden, you hit some grotesque, sticky trap, it's only purpose to turn you into someone else's meal ticket.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

I kinda feel like a jerk saying this, but mostly there is a reason why a lot of us have never had any realy issues with our rift setup.
Be good, die great !

Syrellaris
Rising Star

I've always sang the praises of having decent internet security installed even though most people these days seem to think Windows Defender is enough.
On a regular basis Defender isn't the software that alerts me to the wrong kind of web activity, then again, maybe I should stop wondering into the areas of the web where the street-lights aren't working.

Like you say @KlodsBrik, I'm also starting to look at CPU use more often, just for comfort... it's not helping my paranoia.

Oh where the lights are red .. wink wink nudge nudge.

aroused underwear GIF

In pretty much every Dutch City that has a Red Light street for some window shopping.

I once crashed my Ford Capri in front of Harrow on the Hill tube station at night. Construction workers had left a massive pile of sand in the road without temporary lights.. and the street light there had failed.... and at that time (mid 80's), professional ladies of the night frequented the bus stop by the station entrance.

That there was always going to be a recipe for disaster.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yup, me too. I've found ESET Smart Security to be the best I've ever used so far. I've also got 2 firewalls lol

elboffor
Consultant

my Ford Capri

Amazing car.
Brittish equivelent of a stang!

Shame you dont see many around any more. Always wanted to get one and do a bare metal resto-mod (mopar hotrod style)

For those not in the know, i give you the mk3 capri from the 80's
h2l672rh9lvk.jpg
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

kojack
MVP
MVP

KlodsBrik said:

Couldn´t find a report button.
 First time I have seen real spam here. Cryptojacking from this spam site was a real possibility.

So far this year we've banned 39 accounts for spamming.

Back in 2014-2016 we used to get flooded with spam by Baba. Pages of threads. Now we just have occasional one off spammers .
(I hope just saying the name won't summon him)

The tricky ones are the ones that look like a legitimate post, they add the spam later as a signature or a post edit, so mods don't see it fresh, but others may run into it when searching at a later date.
If I ever see a suspicious post that results in tingling spider senses, I try googling for sentences from it. Often the spammer uses near identical posts on many forums over a short period.

You may also sometimes see a user make the same post several times in a row. That's probably because the spam filter kept rejecting their legitimate posts so they kept trying. The mod control panel for the spam queue isn't the friendliest, it's hard to read the auto blocked posts (it shows up as a 55mm wide column of raw html), so it can be easier to just unblock all of them then try to merge/cleanup to just a single post afterwards (the poster might have varied the post each time, so it's best to make sure we don't keep a lower quality post and delete a better one). You may see the multiple posts in between that or we may forget a couple. Don't get angry at the poster, they probably didn't mean it.

The web... it's a very good description, you're flying carefree and innocent, through a dewy morning garden, lit by the optimism of the morning sunshine.

Then all of a sudden, you hit some grotesque, sticky trap, it's only purpose to turn you into someone else's meal ticket.

In Australia the spiders have moved beyond normal webs.

(Spoilered so I don't freak out any arachnophobes)
We've got net weaving spiders that throw webs at things:
5ze4eph58qik.gif

Trapdoor spiders that are hidden below ground, ready to pounce:
81z5btkwut7o.gif

And my most hated, the Huntsman Spider:
vt38rhrcpycp.gif
Huntsmans have no web at all and don't just wait in one spot like a nice polite spider. They explore everywhere, then run down their prey and murder them. Several times I've been sitting here at this PC, then suddenly found a giant huntsman climbing my leg. Urgh.
(Luckily they are fairly harmless to humans, but the bite hurts and they are FAST)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Is it true in Oz, you always check under the toilet seat before making yourself comfortable?

LZoltowski
Champion
I find this gif usually describes the life of a moderator the best:

the matrix GIF by SundanceTV
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂