New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

can we bring back the “dislike” button?

danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
3Jane
this is a question for real (not volunteer) mods (no offense), we need the dislike button back, too much noise and bullshit on the forum these days, we are grown ups and do not need to be shielded from having our feelings hurt nor are we so intellectually stunted that we cannot handle being given the option to “like” or “dislike” a post, 

i feel that this is pretty insulting to ones intelligence and creates an “anything goes” atmosphere with no repercussions for beingn annoying or posting dumb shit
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

Comments

• danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    again, this is for cyberealoty or other real mods, volunteer mods please dont post
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,489 Valuable Player
    If you create a thread, you accept that anyone can post replies, trying to exclude anyone is wrong and would cause this thread to be just noise. No offense.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 1,919 Valuable Player
    Feelings hurt??

But you have posted on Cybers wall regarding "hurt feelings" on a large portion of the forum member's 

There is no need for thumbs down  :|
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,019 Volunteer Moderator
    Ok

Mradr said:
    Actually we had this talk a while back. The problem is that people will miss use it. We had people going back to past post and just click dislike on anything someone said if they didn't like that person. We even had strange bots doing the same. Even then - it had no real value to the system making it almost pointless to have around either way. So we got rid of it and didn't look back. A more positive option was chosen instead and so far as work really well.

Unless you can come up with a GOOD reason to bring it back - it simply will not.
    /Thread
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,212 Valuable Player
    Typos:)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,489 Valuable Player
    It would be interesting to have likes contribute to loot appearing in Home & awesomes for the rare stuff. I wouldn't want dislikes to return for the reasons Mradr said... but maybe bans could result in loot being taken away. Discuss.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 13,328 Valuable Player
    edited February 2018
    nor are we so intellectually stunted that we cannot handle being given the option to “like” or “dislike” a post,

The term "dislike" is more closely related to an expression of "hostility," and if someone needs a button to help them convey that message as opposed to their own wits, then perhaps being intellectually stunted is a concept the "dislike" button would only promote.

The Facebook "block" button is more reasonable and sensible since it eliminates (reduces) noise. A dislike button doesn't remove noise at all. In fact, it has far more potential to increase the noise... since the "dislike" statistics will be visible by everyone thus causing an increase in conversation about it. Increasing negative stats and increasing conversation about those stats is the literal opposite of noise reduction.

Lastly, if you only wanted the one paid Moderator of the forum to respond to your request, then you should have sent a Private Message, not a public post.

The supporting arguments for a dislike button don't seem well thought out.

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • SyrellarisSyrellaris Posts: 1,035
    3Jane
    Do we really need it? Dislike buttons tend to cause more harm then good as people will abuse it for whatever dumb reason they think is viable.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 193
    Art3mis
    someone tell me about points and why and how they are given.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,309 Volunteer Moderator
    Sigh, seriously ? Go to another forum, I'm sure you'll get your fill of dislikes there, unless you want to win "dislike of the week" ? So bloody boring :(
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,309 Volunteer Moderator
    DTH said:
    someone tell me about points and why and how they are given.
    If you get many likes and awesomes in a post you can check this on a pc by clicking "activity" and see if your name pops up in the list.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    danknugz said:
    this is a question for real (not volunteer) mods (no offense), we need the dislike button back, too much noise and bullshit on the forum these days, we are grown ups and do not need to be shielded from having our feelings hurt nor are we so intellectually stunted that we cannot handle being given the option to “like” or “dislike” a post, 

i feel that this is pretty insulting to ones intelligence and creates an “anything goes” atmosphere with no repercussions for beingn annoying or posting dumb shit

This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    elboffor said:

Ohh lolol

totes reminded me of this

This discussion has been closed.