cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many Oculus headset can I connect to a single powerfull PC simultaniuosly?

robvaz5857
Honored Guest
Hey guys, I'm an educational software developer and I want to know how many Oculus Googles can be connected and used at the ssame time to a single powerfull PC? I want to build a laboratory and I want to know if can use a server with terminals and connect multiples Oculus headset at the same time with differents desktops(users)? I will buy a couple hundreds if it works to a single PC.
26 REPLIES 26

that may be getting towards the realms of... better off buying 2 PCs territory... but I love the tech behind these ideas

kojack
MVP
MVP
On the virtualisation side, it depends on how the display is handled. The rift needs special support inside of the nvidia/amd drivers (for direct mode display connection), so those would need to support virtualisation (so it would depend on where the gfx drivers were sitting, above or below the virtualisation layer). Who knows.

One thing we know, the rift is extremely fussy about usb and hdmi ports and some people have enough trouble getting it to work on a typical PC. Making it jump through extra hoops is going to reduce it's chance of working.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LZ, you have the job (and the resources) to undertake this mission, good luck

(I suggest starting by lowering yourself from a cable suspended from the centre of the ceiling)

LZoltowski
Champion

LZ, you have the job (and the resources) to undertake this mission, good luck

(I suggest starting by lowering yourself from a cable suspended from the centre of the ceiling)

Should I fail you will disavow all knowledge of me tho!

mission impossible GIF
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

first mission objective complete... find the damn gif I was looking for

falken76
Expert Consultant

I had a similar question, as when I watch a film on SkyboxVR I would be good if I can watch a film with my partner in our own private cinema!

Thought about buying a USB & HDMI Y-splitter and connecting two headsets to the feed.

But IF that would work I assume only one headset would control the viewpoint?

It won't work, the GPU requirments for 1 HMD are high enough, and it was only designed for 1 HMD per PC.  But you could probably buy a couple of GearVRs and watch films with your partner using those instead of the PC.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

To make things PERFECTLY CLEAR...

ONE PC = ONE Headset.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Interestingly, you can connect 2 PCs together to use just 1 mouse & monitor and so surely you can then connect each a HMD but use just the one installation of software?
It really should not be a case of buying double your games/apps for each computer!

Glaidr
Protege
TL:DR = Possible using virtualisation, but would just be SO much easier/cheaper getting minimum spec VR PC's

You could use virtualisation. Set up correctly it COULD be possible, but i'm not sure how that would work with GPU's etc. I've heard doing this kind of thing is a lot easier on a Linix machine as well, as windows has some outdated practices on resource management. 

The other problem you will run into, is when getting to that level of performance, the price jumps exponentially. 

In the end, if would be MUCH cheaper, running multiple headsets on multiple minimum spec PC's, using a pre-built image to ensure all computers are the same, lock everything down with group policy so that students cannot access anything they shouldn't, and then finally using something like Impero to monitor. 

Edit: Regardless of what you would do, you would need duplicate software/games/apps for each HMD

iJudgement
Heroic Explorer

Digikid1 said:

To make things PERFECTLY CLEAR...

ONE PC = ONE Headset.