cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen on Rift? Be Sure to Use Nvidia Driver 388.59

cybereality
Grand Champion
We are currently investigating an issue affecting Nvidia card users on newer driver versions and the latest Oculus app. If you have an Nvidia GPU, please be sure to install Nvidia driver 388.59 or you may experience black screens or other compatibility issue. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
117 REPLIES 117

Silversmith
Honored Guest
Still having the  Black Screen problem  after  downdating my Nvidia drivers  to the recommended version 388.59.  Made no difference,    Headset goes black  after  10 mins  if left running an app (Elite Dangerous Horizons) but the headset is not being worn  (e.g if taken off to answer a phone call).   The headset is still tracking normally   (can see on the Elite Dangerous  windows  copy of the game window that the headset is being tracked  and the game responds normally, but nothing is visible INSIDE the headset, the lenses are black).  Clearly this problem  is NOT fixed by using version 388.59   (Geforce 1080 TI).   Need to fix this.. makes headset unusable.  Major  customer dissatisfaction issue !!!  It does appear to be some sort of Timeout  problem   (or could it be a power management problem?  the PC powering off the headset if its not being worn after 10 mins?)

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you still experience black screens, please upload your LogGatherer zip file. See here for how to get the file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Silversmith
Honored Guest
As requested  the zip file from LogGatherer  attached .  Loads of errors on it . I see several  PERMISSION DENIED  style errors  on Oculus Software items ,, could that be related?   The incident my previous post referred to was somewhere between 16:00 and 16:50 on 15th February 2018. 

Note I again emphasis  the 'Blackout' problem NEVER occurs when the headset is being worn  , but ONLY  when it is removed  for 5 to 10 mins (and left unmoving within view of the sensors).  The 'Blackout  occurs whilst the headset  is not being worn.  After that point NOTHING  can recover  the headset view,  Putting the headset back on has no effect, although the headset is still being tracked normally.  The only recourse is to REBOOT THE PC, after which  normal operation is resumed.

By the way ..  another probably unrelated issue I have  is  that I keep getting a SPURIOUS notification "Critical Error The Guardian System has failed' , click here to resolve this".  In fact the Guardian system is working fine  (its easy to test by moving to the guardian boundary  and checking the appropriate  warning  is shown in VR).   Clicking on the indicated 'button'  has no effect whatsoever.   As I said.. probably unrelated,  but thought I better mention it  'just in case'  

cybercookie72
Explorer
@Silversmith Im seeing pretty much exactly what you are....

the black out does not seem to be helped by a reset of the oculus stuffs but does seem to be fixed for a bit by restarting the PC....when it first started happening i would unplug/plug everything followed by resetting oculus but that had mixed results...now when it happens i make sure steam and oculus are closed and then restart and that seems to fix it each time

the guardian system seems to be resolved by going through the set up again...no restart/reset just plain go through set up again and it seems happy again until the next time, its only happened a few times for me but atm is happy 

I am running the latest everything software and will look in to downgrading the 1080 ti drivers in hopes of a temp fix 

Virtual-North
Honored Guest
Same issue (black screen) (Nvidia 1070ti) (V.390.77 drivers)

LZoltowski
Champion

Same issue (black screen) (Nvidia 1070ti) (V.390.77 drivers)

As the title of the thread suggests, please try  Nvidia Driver 388.59
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

christopherbarn
Adventurer
Same issues. Including the occasional snowcrash instead of black screen. Also, twice got kicked out of the app I was running and dumped back into Home - except I was under the room ( nice view of the shark tank ).
I've tested all drivers back to 388.31. I installed 388.13, but Oculus app says my drivers are out of date so I didn't go back any further. I've tried old school home and new beta home. I wish I could roll back versions of Oculus software to get a stable Rift again. Unless it's Windows 10 causing the issue, I don't have the fortitude to try rolling back versions of that...

cybereality
Grand Champion
Thanks for posting your log files. I will share with the team.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you suggest first to deinstall the new ahem old driver?

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yes, it's best to uninstall the current driver you have before install another one (especially important if you are downgrading to older drivers).