cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge PAK files in the oculus directory

oh_cripes
Honored Guest
I've recently been running low on space on my hard drive and I found a very large .pak file in the oculus directory. "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Content\Paks\Home2-WindowsNoEditor.pak" is 6gb. Any idea what this is or if it can be moved to another drive? I'm guessing it's to do with the home application, but come on, 6gb! That's taking the mickey.

23 REPLIES 23

LZoltowski
Champion
That looks like an Unreal Engine PAK file .. it contains all the 3d assets, textures etc for the new home.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

oh_cripes
Honored Guest
*opens home for the first time*
*sees 6gb pirate ship*
*long sigh*

BananaCat
Honored Guest
Yeah. Thought last update was kinda big.. Software is getting way to huge to manage. 

Mace404
Heroic Explorer
6GB is way too huge? Oh man, I hope you never install Shadow of War  😄

oh_cripes
Honored Guest
Part of the problem is I have a small ssd which my OS is on, but I install games usually to a bigger magnetic hdd. You can't choose where to put this pak file. I guess I could have installed the oculus app on my other hard drive in the first place.

It's a reasonable point @oh_cripes. When it comes to large files, It's always good to have a choice where to put them.

My M.2 was filling up quicker than I thought it would, I like to have commonly accessed (but not commonly written to) files on there as well as the OS but lately have been shifting more & more to regular HDDs. Plus I like to keep a reasonable amount of unused space on an SSD to maximise its life.

LZoltowski
Champion

It's a reasonable point @oh_cripes. When it comes to large files, It's always good to have a choice where to put them.

My M.2 was filling up quicker than I thought it would, I like to have commonly accessed (but not commonly written to) files on there as well as the OS but lately have been shifting more & more to regular HDDs. Plus I like to keep a reasonable amount of unused space on an SSD to maximise its life.

Why buy one M.2 drive when you can have two for twice the price?!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

You'd make a great dodgy salesman LZ

LZoltowski
Champion

You'd make a great dodgy salesman LZ

I actually want to invest in a 1TB M.2 drive .. im running on standard EVO's at the moment, a friend of mine has it and its so zippy!! ...

Be kind to one another 🙂