New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR-Controller?

MarculusMarculus Posts: 28
edited October 2013 in General
I was wondering what kind of controller would fit best for a VR-World. My very first thought was gloves, but then how do I move my character now? I'm pretty happy with my steeringwheel and pedals for racinggames. Maybe pedals or some sort of foot-controller in combination with gloves and vr-glasses would be most comfortable?

The p5-gloves looking pretty solid, apart from missing haptic feedback.

What do you think?
oculus poculus sims.ala.bin

Comments

• FritoFrito Posts: 924
    NerveGear
    i like the idea of haptic gloves, but we do need something to hold... so im thinking stem+tactical haptics is the way to go for gaming, maybe gloves would work well for virtuernet (i just made that word)
  • servili007servili007 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Hehe, I still have my P5 from back in the day, and I think it still works. I opened it up several times to learn about the LED and sensor system and make myself a little head tracker based on it. I was thinking about breaking it back out for the oculus, but let me just say that it may be a far from perfect experience.
  • Totally agree, STEM / tactical haptic is the way to go. Someday, perhaps we are going to need more "sensible" controls in our VR-Worlds. We've captured the basics in gaming, everything else is just about fine-tuning it. Gloves sound very naturally in this case.
    oculus poculus sims.ala.bin
  • Why is the thumbstick so offset on tactical haptic?
    I'd have placed it on the front (not on the top) so you could actually use it?
  • TheHolyChickenTheHolyChicken Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Mark79 wrote:
    Why is the thumbstick so offset on tactical haptic?
    I'd have placed it on the front (not on the top) so you could actually use it?
    Because what you're seeing is a very rough prototype, and not the finished product. The buttons you see on top is actually a Razer Hydra(!) frankensteined into the controller. They have said that the controllers were the large size because they needed to guarantee enough space to experiment with the haptics. The product coming to kickstarter will be much smaller and a more suitable shape.
  • Ah, thanks for the info, TheHolyChicken. Looking forward to the kickstarter.
  • ZigguratZiggurat Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    I will just leave this here
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I think a data-glove is the ultimate controller for VR. I hope a decent glove will come out eventually.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV