cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Fix] for HDMI/Sensor issues after PC wakes from Sleep or HMD goes black after idling

LZoltowski
Champion
I did some digging and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is causing issues for users of laptop and desktops where USB and HDMI are affected by Sleep Wake.

Turning fast startup to off has fixed an issue for me where the HDMI light would go Orange, or sensor tracking would be unusable and glitchy.

After PC wakes up my Rift would have an orange light and required a reboot to get it to work again, disabling it solved the issue:

Edit: This fix also seems to fix the HMD being unusable after a few hours of not being used.
Edit2: I have pinned this thread for a bit as I have had more reports of this working for others.
Edit3: If you are experiencing instant HMD blackout after taking it off for the first time and the below fix does not work, people have reported that temporarily disabling the Guardian System, for now, fixes the issue.

After disabling it Do not reboot, perform a shutdown, wait a few secs and start up again.

power options

available options

fast startup

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
77 REPLIES 77

LZoltowski
Champion
Bumping this up as 4 people confirmed to me this has fixed it for them.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Strange thing is that option was not ticked on my computer, but I don't remember unicking it. Is there a similar thing in the bios that allows you to do a fast startup? 

LZoltowski
Champion

RedRizla said:

Strange thing is that option was not ticked on my computer, but I don't remember unicking it. Is there a similar thing in the bios that allows that allows you to do a fast startup? 

It's a very odd feature, so when you shut down (and this thing is on) it's a HYBRID hibernation/sleep mode and not a shutdown.  Windows writes the last state to disk and when you boot up it loads this. It causes a lot of issues for people as I found out there during my research, unrelated to the Rift but I noticed it had the same symptoms, of USB disconnects and HDMI issues.

It also seems to fix the HDMI/USB timeout over time .. not sure how, but I think it;s to do with device enumeration etc..

Be kind to one another 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I was having usb disconnects that stopped sometime ago, it now makes me wonder if it's this been unticked that solved the problem, but I just cannot remember ever unticking it.

LZoltowski
Champion
The more people say it fixed a lot of issues for them the more I'm' researching it. This "fix" I found was not related to the Rift at all, but some obscure Microsoft forum with complaints of display and USB issues after the Falls Creators update.

Be kind to one another 🙂

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I’ve been using the latest Nvidia driver (390.77), which has been working fine except for the occasional black screen with audio (restarting the Oculus service always resolves it). I’ve disabled this Fast Startup setting now, so we’ll see if this helps with black screens on the new driver. *Edit: nope still getting the odd black screen with 390.77.

Funny thing, the BIOS setting for Fast Boot was causing my random shutdowns that I was experiencing last month. Since disabling that, everything has been perfectly stable again. I don’t even notice boot-up taking any longer. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

LZoltowski
Champion

nalex66 said:

I’ve been using the latest Nvidia driver (390.77), which has been working fine except for the occasional black screen with audio (restarting the Oculus service always resolves it). I’ve disabled this Fast Startup setting now, so we’ll see if this helps with black screens on the new driver. 

Funny thing, the BIOS setting for Fast Boot was causing my random shutdowns that I was experiencing last month. Since disabling that, everything has been perfectly stable again. I don’t even notice boot-up taking any longer. 

Yeah the whole thing is glitchy. This Fast Start thing was also causing my HMD going to sleep after a few hours and not coming back until a reset. It lasted a whole day yesterday without issues.

Fast Start causes a HYBRID shutdown. So when you turn your PC off, it actually hibernates and then loads windows from that state .. because of that it causes strange bugs with USB and HDMI. Now I have a feeling that Fast Start is hooked up to some sort of power management layer within windows, disabling that, disables the power management bit too which fixes 2 issues at the same time.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi there,

i have the same issue. My HMD goes black and stays black as soon as i take it of.
I reverted to the older 388.59 NVIDIA Driver and disabled fast boot.
Unfortunatly both does not seem to help.
I can not take the HMD off, neither in Home2 nor in any game, the display always stays black.
Only a full reboot, or a restart of the OVRService brings the display back to life.
My last idea would be to put a sticker on the sensor whenever i want to play something so i can take of the Device if i need to.

Oh and for good measure:
Win10 x64, 16GB
i7-4790K
GTX 960
Asus Z87-Plus

Maybe interesting to mention:
When i got the Rift i already had an later version of the NVIDIA Driver installed. No Problems at all.
The problem appeared when i disconnected my Rift (including the sensors) on the 06.02 and reconnected it 2 days later. The PC got briefly used in the time the Rift was away.

LZoltowski
Champion

Hi there,

i have the same issue. My HMD goes black and stays black as soon as i take it of.
I reverted to the older 388.59 NVIDIA Driver and disabled fast boot.
Unfortunatly both does not seem to help.
I can not take the HMD off, neither in Home2 nor in any game, the display always stays black.
Only a full reboot, or a restart of the OVRService brings the display back to life.
My last idea would be to put a sticker on the sensor whenever i want to play something so i can take of the Device if i need to.

Oh and for good measure:
Win10 x64, 16GB
i7-4790K
GTX 960
Asus Z87-Plus

Maybe interesting to mention:
When i got the Rift i already had an later version of the NVIDIA Driver installed. No Problems at all.
The problem appeared when i disconnected my Rift (including the sensors) on the 06.02 and reconnected it 2 days later. The PC got briefly used in the time the Rift was away.

Have you tried disabling Fast Start as mentioned in the original post?

Be kind to one another 🙂