cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Releases & Updates

naycorn
Heroic Explorer
Welcome to Oculus Medium! Medium uses Touch controllers to let you sculpt, model, paint, and play in virtual reality.

Please post all questions and feedback to this forum. 

You can share your sculpts with us! Find the Medium team @OculusMedium on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

Happy sculpting!

Latest Update: 

Medium 2.3.3 Release Notes

km9xq0tlhhdu.png

Fixes:

• Fixed an occasional crash when selecting a Scene Graph node that didn't have an action menu (ie. the Grid node)

258 REPLIES 258

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Medium out with the 1.3.2 patch

See full release notes here

iybfj253nyna.png

I-X
Honored Guest
I've only just started using Medium, but it's a wonderful and smooth experience so far, so I really want to thank the Medium team for their hard work!

I'd like to make some suggestions, and I'm not sure if they've been posted in this forum before;

1. an orthographic viewport or some sort of window you can open up to see the side/top/front/ to eliminate guesswork would be amazing
2. A re-invented pen tool for 3D would be great for clean, precise cuts and sculpts - my hands are pretty shaky, and it really sucks looking at wobbly lines 😕
3. The ability to extrude shapes, which would be made even more powerful with the pen tool
4. Snapping grids for precision.

I heard about how useful Medium was through some professional groups on FB, and I tried it out myself this week and loved the versatility. I think that if you added these features and moved it to a full-featured tool, professionals would come in droves to use it, and buy it. Those points are some of the only things preventing me from fully switching over, because frankly a VR workflow is so much more natural for me, especially for rough modeling.

Regardless, it's still useful, and fun, so I'll keep using it!

Cheers.

deftware
Expert Protege
I'm having serious performance issues with Medium. It runs at what appears to be 5fps on a blank empty canvas - which makes the tools practically unusable as their response time is 2-3 frames. Robo Recall runs way faster and it's drawing a world and dozen robots, not to mention game logic and physics engine.

toopy
Honored Guest
I can't open all my previous work done before the last update (update 1.3.2). And now, when the files open I get a very bad frame rate. (about 3 fps).
I reinstalled the software, and nothing changes. What should I do? It's very annoying, i have a lot of work I'd like to get back or finish. Is it a memory problem (i've 16gb) ? I noticed that compared to the previous version, the memory quickly overloaded. I hope you could help me...
Otherwise, thank you and congrat for your great software!

MattHickman
Rising Star

toopy said:

I can't open all my previous work done before the last update (update 1.3.2). And now, when the files open I get a very bad frame rate. (about 3 fps).
I reinstalled the software, and nothing changes. What should I do? It's very annoying, i have a lot of work I'd like to get back or finish. Is it a memory problem (i've 16gb) ? I noticed that compared to the previous version, the memory quickly overloaded. I hope you could help me...
Otherwise, thank you and congrat for your great software!

Yeah, we noticed that we changed something with the GPU, this will be fixed in the next update coming very soon.

naycorn
Heroic Explorer

Medium out with the 1.3.3 patch!

See full release notes here

cg50ldj36ev1.png

Sterling77
Rising Star
I think that medium is growing into a monster - I say this in a good and bad way. 

From using it before the Move brush lead up and enjoying the ease to jump in and express, it seems some things are getting forgotten - que the Democratic uniqueness of everyone to have their opinion. 

As someone who gets sentimental of technique and has a truly deep love for this art, the pleasure of medium is an enjoyment second to none. 

This is my lead in to pre rant - not trying to look for negatives more about finding my way into them unfortunately. 

First off > Brush Orientation, This toggle thing is absolutely useless - I don't use it anymore as its more of a hindrance than a help - I have mentioned this in another post, Basically if you changed it back to the previous way we would all be happy ( I hope I speak for many here ) The reason I am so passionate about this feature is, before I would use it for accurate hard surface designs and cutting edges and beveling surfaces. Now it's ludacris .. The other issue is you guys have changes the default orientation of the brushes when using the Line button and a Brush. I really hope you can hear what I am saying here and change this back very soon. 

The Taper is confusing > before you could run a stroke and it would delay taper and that was cool. 

The Gimbal menu > OMG this would be great moved somewhere other than in a finicky location -  - click in out and oops back in .. oh no snapping, snapping on.. all good ugh

The Shader menu > is as important - Maybe this would have a better location on the colour pallete - that would be much more intuitive I think. 

The Move brush > default should be per Layer not all Layers .. again another intuitive process. 

I think I noticed that snapping default is now 0.1, why is this the case ? shouldn't snapping be a higher number ( as default ) to serve a snap. 

A Home Sculpt button - would be a delight. I use the Lathe the center the sculpt and then snap move it back to Zero. This is an important thing I think as sometimes walking around a sculpt is cool and sculpting like you cant pick it up can yield really cool results. 

Thankyou Medium team you guys are amazing and thank you for your hard work in bringing the most amazing tool into our worlds - this is total raw feedback and in full respect.

I cant wait 
to share some of the cool stuff I have been doing in Medium in Film and Production - once I am able to release, I will 🙂 

@MattHickman @"naomi.cornman"

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

naycorn
Heroic Explorer
Hey @Sterling77! Thanks ALWAYS for your thoughts and feedback. We have an enormous list of things we want to accomplish with developing Medium and your feedback resonates! Looking forward to your film and prod work! 

naycorn
Heroic Explorer
Updating 1.3.3 Release notes with a new feature! Medium now shares GLTF2.0 to the Facebook Feed and to the sharing site’s model viewer! Meshes will contain metallic and emissive textures, as well as dynamic lighting.

https://youtu.be/k8mbd-m46cg

Fistful_of_Colo
Adventurer

naomi.cornman - any news on the arrival of the next patch?