cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Fix] for HDMI/Sensor issues after PC wakes from Sleep or HMD goes black after idling

LZoltowski
Champion
I did some digging and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is causing issues for users of laptop and desktops where USB and HDMI are affected by Sleep Wake.

Turning fast startup to off has fixed an issue for me where the HDMI light would go Orange, or sensor tracking would be unusable and glitchy.

After PC wakes up my Rift would have an orange light and required a reboot to get it to work again, disabling it solved the issue:

Edit: This fix also seems to fix the HMD being unusable after a few hours of not being used.
Edit2: I have pinned this thread for a bit as I have had more reports of this working for others.
Edit3: If you are experiencing instant HMD blackout after taking it off for the first time and the below fix does not work, people have reported that temporarily disabling the Guardian System, for now, fixes the issue.

After disabling it Do not reboot, perform a shutdown, wait a few secs and start up again.

power options

available options

fast startup

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
77 REPLIES 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,

i have the same issue. My HMD goes black and stays black as soon as i take it of.
I reverted to the older 388.59 NVIDIA Driver and disabled fast boot.
Unfortunatly both does not seem to help.
I can not take the HMD off, neither in Home2 nor in any game, the display always stays black.
Only a full reboot, or a restart of the OVRService brings the display back to life.
My last idea would be to put a sticker on the sensor whenever i want to play something so i can take of the Device if i need to.

Oh and for good measure:
Win10 x64, 16GB
i7-4790K
GTX 960
Asus Z87-Plus

Maybe interesting to mention:
When i got the Rift i already had an later version of the NVIDIA Driver installed. No Problems at all.
The problem appeared when i disconnected my Rift (including the sensors) on the 06.02 and reconnected it 2 days later. The PC got briefly used in the time the Rift was away.

Have you tried disabling Fast Start as mentioned in the original post?

Sorry, with fast boot i actually ment Fast Start 🙂
So jeah i disabled it.

LZoltowski
Champion

Hi there,

i have the same issue. My HMD goes black and stays black as soon as i take it of.
I reverted to the older 388.59 NVIDIA Driver and disabled fast boot.
Unfortunatly both does not seem to help.
I can not take the HMD off, neither in Home2 nor in any game, the display always stays black.
Only a full reboot, or a restart of the OVRService brings the display back to life.
My last idea would be to put a sticker on the sensor whenever i want to play something so i can take of the Device if i need to.

Oh and for good measure:
Win10 x64, 16GB
i7-4790K
GTX 960
Asus Z87-Plus

Maybe interesting to mention:
When i got the Rift i already had an later version of the NVIDIA Driver installed. No Problems at all.
The problem appeared when i disconnected my Rift (including the sensors) on the 06.02 and reconnected it 2 days later. The PC got briefly used in the time the Rift was away.

Have you tried disabling Fast Start as mentioned in the original post?

Sorry, with fast boot i actually ment Fast Start 🙂
So jeah i disabled it.

When you did that, did you Shut the PC down, waited a few secs and turned it back on?, not just a restart? If so you might be experiencing a completely different issue. Can you post your log here so I can have a look?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jeah i did a shutdown not a reboot as you described.
There are a couple log files .... i guess you mean Oculus_Dash.log ?
Or the log files in Local/Oculus called Service_(current date and time).txt?

Anyway, i attached both 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
Collect ALL logs, using the OculusLogGather tool in your Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics directory it hsould give you a zip file, if you could attach that.

In the meantime, have you disabled power management on all of these?

fjgtqkqfoj8s.jpg

a6tnbwb7jkby.jpg

9cys10o03g24.jpg

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, i disabled the Power Management in all USB-Devices and
disabled USB selective suspend setting in my current Power Plan.

I did a full shutdown, waited and unfortunatly no change.
As soon as i take the HMD off, the display stays dark.

After the test i collected ALL logs with the tool you mentioned, so all changes should be visible in the logs if at all.
I hope it helps.

LZoltowski
Champion
Thanks, Ill have a look, did you disable Fast Start and Rolled back the driver at the same time?

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I rolled back the driver and ticked the "clean install" option.
I testet without a reboot.
then i disabled Fast Start and did a shutdown.
So i testet in between but did no reboot after the rollback of the driver.

LZoltowski
Champion

I rolled back the driver and ticked the "clean install" option.
I testet without a reboot.
then i disabled Fast Start and did a shutdown.
So i testet in between but did no reboot after the rollback of the driver.

I cant see much from the log, not seeing any Headset not connected issues.

I know this is exhausting, and frustrating im sure! Have you tried using DDU? https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Remove your display graphics with that, then install the latest Nvidia Drivers, and run Setup from here again:

g2nf6yivhvxs.jpg

I have seen someone report that disabling the Guardian system is a temporary fix for some also.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
This is frustrating yes BUT its much more a pain to not beeing able to take of the Rift.
Therefore, as long as you have any idea of what i could try i will try it.

Gonna try the Guardian disable first and then the DDU.

Anonymous
Not applicable
OMG it works !
(at least ot the moment)

I disabled the Guardian in the VR Menu and currently ..... it works perfectly.
How peculiar .... why would that of all the possible things to break be the one thing.

I am curious now.
I will keep testing, reboot, install the newest driver, reenable Fast Start and do tests in beetwen.
At the end if all still works, i will reenable the Guardian and i hope/guess it will break it again.