cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Fix] for HDMI/Sensor issues after PC wakes from Sleep or HMD goes black after idling

LZoltowski
Champion
I did some digging and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is causing issues for users of laptop and desktops where USB and HDMI are affected by Sleep Wake.

Turning fast startup to off has fixed an issue for me where the HDMI light would go Orange, or sensor tracking would be unusable and glitchy.

After PC wakes up my Rift would have an orange light and required a reboot to get it to work again, disabling it solved the issue:

Edit: This fix also seems to fix the HMD being unusable after a few hours of not being used.
Edit2: I have pinned this thread for a bit as I have had more reports of this working for others.
Edit3: If you are experiencing instant HMD blackout after taking it off for the first time and the below fix does not work, people have reported that temporarily disabling the Guardian System, for now, fixes the issue.

After disabling it Do not reboot, perform a shutdown, wait a few secs and start up again.

power options

available options

fast startup

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
77 REPLIES 77

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

There is a known issue with the later Nvidia drivers where the headset does not "release" at times when closing Oculus home after using it. This results in the next time put headset on the screen will remain black in the HMD. Takes a restart of the PC or restart of the Oculus Service to get it back.  It is even listed in the latest Nvidia Driver release notes as known issue.

There may be different issues being discussed in this thread...

That's what was happening to me too, disabling Fast Start fixed it.

I have had Fast Start disabled for some time now. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Fast Start disabled didn't work for me.  😞 

Disabling the Oculus Library and Runtime in Task Manager managed to avoid having to reboot and worked for me. I am still using latest Nvidia drivers.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

LZoltowski
Champion

Fast Start disabled didn't work for me.  😞 

What exact issue is that you are having?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Headset turns on as normal on first use. Headset works as normal. When you remove headset and make a cup of tea and come back, put the headset on you are then left with a blank screen even though the headset detects you have put it on (white light). Hehe this is the first time I am typing this in VR using the Desktop mode. Good job I can touch type.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

LZoltowski
Champion

Headset turns on as normal on first use. Headset works as normal. When you remove headset and make a cup of tea and come back, put the headset on you are then left with a blank screen even though the headset detects you have put it on (white light). Hehe this is the first time I am typing this in VR using the Desktop mode. Good job I can touch type.

Have you tried disabling the Guardian System? People are having issues with that on.

Now try setting up Nuance Dragon Dictate for full voice typing 🙂

Be kind to one another 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
No need,all working good so far. Maybe the update fixed this issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I use the Oculus Tray Tool to stop the service for a few moments, then start up again. Always seems to clear the headset when it does that to me. Not a restart of the service, that does not always work, but a stop for a moment and then start again. Saves me having to reboot the PC anyway.

Hornet_F4C
Adventurer

When you did that, did you Shut the PC down, waited a few secs and turned it back on?, not just a restart?

Hi there,

Do you have any idea as to how that fix does actually take effect?

As you explained correctly, enabling fast startup causes the PC to not fully shut down but entering some kind of hibernation (for the system core) upon shutdown. Disabling the feature causes it to really shut down instead. Thats it.

1. It is documented that "restart" is not affected by this feature, thus "Restart" will always perform a full boot and startup sequence. That means your advice above would be obsolete since a "restart" would accomplish exactly the same thing as a full shutdown with regards to the "Fast startup" feature.
  2. *If* people would power-up their PC just to face problems with the Rift requiring an additional reboot, *then* this would indicate some conflict with the "fast startup" feature: Remainings of the previous system state would be (incorrectly) restored upon (fast) startup, whereas a "restart"  always performs a full system initialization. *But* as I understand it, this is not the case at all: Instead people startup their PC and the Rift works just fine. Only after a break between sessions they face problems requiring a restart to make it work again. At this point it would be worth testing if instead of a restart, a shutdown / power-up sequence would also help. That would be a strong indication against any relation to the "fast startup" feature.

I mean - reboot is unaffected by this feature. It always does a full reboot. It is only the shutdown function that with this feature enabled does not simply shutdown but saves the system core state to be reloaded upon next startup. But if the Rift generally works fine directly after start up, how do you think can this feature be related to the problem?

I am not saying it doesn't work, apparently some people seem to have success doing this trick. Just trying to understand the possible relation of this feature to the described problems...

Greets

YoLolo69
Trustee
Just adding my voice after 2 days of testing : I always restart/reboot  my computer before a VR session, so no problem starting it, but I had this black screen problem in headset with the current 388.59 NVidia drivers I'm using, when I removed my headset during a long game session to make a pause, and tried to resume my game.
I disabled the fast startup and didn't have this problem during the last 2 days. That's seems to do the trick for me. Possibly not relevant but for the record, I'm using classic home so no Beta no core 2.0.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

LZoltowski
Champion
@Hornet_F4C From what I have seen online, and I found this method on some obscure Dell forum with regards to someones monitor after Windows Fall Update, nothing to do with the rift, but the symptoms were the same. Certain types of screens would suddenly go to sleep and not turn on again.

It would appear when Fast Start is enabled some sort of additional windows power management subsystem is enabled also.

The rift goes into a soft standby after a while, and with  Fast Startup enabled, it would seem It cannot wake up again. This was the issue I was having, which is now fixed, and several others have reported the same thing.

Be kind to one another 🙂