cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift goes black when I remove headset after playing

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
so whatvthe title says. So recently a new thing has started with my rift which I can’t understand why as nothing has changed to my computer. I’ve had it a yr roughly and have never had an issue with the display.. until the other day.. I turn on my computer, put headset on and play away... but then I stop playing, quit game and take off my headset. If I don’t put it back on within minutes the entire display will all be black, can’t see anything! And no white or orange light showing, BUT there is sound. Closing out oculus and restarting the program does nothing.. still black. Only way of fixing is restarting my computer which allows me to see again in the headset, until I remove the headset and everything repeats again.. any ideas on what’s going on?
11 REPLIES 11

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Usb slot going into power save mode after inactivity ??? That's a strange one.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Draco_
Explorer

I’m having the same problem started after the last Oculus update. Tried updating all drivers to the latest version but I’m still getting this problem. This also only happens when you are playing a game if you are in your home you can put on and take off your headset at any time without a problem.

It isn’t a USB power save problem sound and mic still function and I have power save disabled on my USB ports.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Eight-Core Processor (16 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Asus Crosshair VI Hero
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Memory: 32768MB RAM

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Try restarting the Oculus service (not the app) rather than rebooting the PC. In the desktop app, go into Settings/Beta, and select Restart Oculus.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you're on Nvidia, you must use driver 388.59. Newer drivers may cause black screens and other compatibility issues. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

madamluck
Heroic Explorer
@cybereality no Nvidia. I have Radeon 

Draco_
Explorer

This issue was occurring before I updated the drivers. Pre-driver
update they were 388.59 and rolling them back to that has made no difference.

Again, this happens only when you launch a game if you stay
in the Oculus home 2.0 you can leave your headset off for hours if you like and
put it back on and the screen turns on. If you launch a game and take the
headset off for a minute it goes into standby and won’t come back on.

CzechMatey
Honored Guest
I had this exact issue. If anyone has found a solution, please notify me.

david_boland
Honored Guest
Same issue, only recently started happening.  No issues if playing continuously, but if I take off the headset to hand to my flat mate (Project cars 2), headset goes black, sound still working, but no picture.  The mirror screen still shows the movement of the head set though

david_boland
Honored Guest
Tried reloading the 388.59 driver, same issue.  If I take off the head set for a second, it goes black, need to reload everything >:/