cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear VR WIFI problem

nyohan
Honored Guest
I submitted this as a ticket to support on Tuesday but while I'm waiting to hear back I thought the community might know of a fix.

When I go to the Store (Oculus or Samsung) as well as the video player in VR I get an error that it can not connect. This only happens if my phone is connected to wifi. If I turn off wifi and use just the mobile connection it works fine.

Another strange thing is if I use VR Netflix on the phone using WIFI it works just fine. I don't want to use a ton of mobile data so does anyone know of a fix to get to the store and video using WIFI?

A little more info... I just got the phone and Gear VR on Tuesday so it's new, and I tried uninstalling all of the Oculus Apps and re-installing them but it didn't help.
10 REPLIES 10

Hud007
Honored Guest
You have an installed 3rd party app on your phone for downloading and installing vr apps ..delete that app and your problem should be solved with wi-fi.

nyohan
Honored Guest
I wish that were true, but I don't.

I received my new phone and gear vr on the same day and other than netflix, hulu, and HBO Now I hadn't installed anything on it.

nyohan
Honored Guest
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was able to fix the issue and hopefully this will help others.

My router is set to use my internet provider's DNS service. In my case this is Time Warner Cable.

I changed it to use google instead:

After that everything worked perfectly. Oculus might want to talk to Time Warner Cable about the DNS conflict but I'm so glad I found a solution. If you can't change your DNS on your router I believe you can change it on your phone but you will need to google the instructions.

jking515
Honored Guest
I have tried google dns and never fixed my problem I have a note 5 veriZon local fiber Internet. I have also tried the dns that is included still a no go. I have a sonic wall router with ubiquiti wireless access points

nyohan
Honored Guest
Yea, the DNS change fixed my problem but only temporarily. I've changed something else and so far so good!

Try turning off your IPv6 on your router. Like I said so far that is working for me. If this does fix it for you, please reply back, if enough people have this problem hopefully we can get Oculus's attention to fix it and then we can turn IPv6 back on.

Good Luck!

jking515
Honored Guest
I haven't seen a way to disable ipv6 on my SonicWALL tz215. I will try to change out my router with a Linksys running dd-wrt

Jose
Heroic Explorer
"Hud007" wrote:
You have an installed 3rd party app on your phone for downloading and installing vr apps ..delete that app and your problem should be solved with wi-fi.

Is the 3rd party app you're referring to SideloadVR? If yes, do you have links to any forum threads, here or on reddit, about any problems that that app may be causing?

I used to have wifi connectivity problems with my Gear but it seems to have gone away when I disabled "wifi protected mode" in my router.

Jerrith
Explorer

nyohan said:

Try turning off your IPv6 on your router. Like I said so far that is working for me. If this does fix it for you, please reply back, if enough people have this problem hopefully we can get Oculus's attention to fix it and then we can turn IPv6 back on.

Yep, turning off IPv6 on my router fixed Netflix for me.

saimlocus1234
Honored Guest
gear vr wifi problem is common nowadays so can be solved this problem with the troubleshooting and another is if you have the various problem then you can visit us because we have all types of solutions just like as the connection problem, speed problem with mobile connection problems. https://babasupport.org/routers/belkin-router-customer-service/599