cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sound from Rift Headphones after Playing a few Minutes

Oimann
Explorer

Hi,

i have the Problem, that the Sound of my Rift Headphones doenst work after some time. When I start Oculus Home the Sound out of the Headphones is fine. Somtimes after 5 Minutes, sometimes after 1 hour, the Headphones stop working. If i restart Oculus Home, the Sound is back again. Using my own Headphones with my Soundcard, there is no Problem.

Is this a known issue? Any work around to fix it?  

88 REPLIES 88

Azirphaeli
Honored Guest
It's not just MSI, lots of MBs use realtek for their onboard audio.

That being said, I am pretty sure that's what I use as well and I came here because boy have I become sick and tired of this problem happening. I read about the USB issues and such, but that never sat well with me due to the nature of the problem:

• Audio will randomly stop working. When it does, the rift Headphones audio level in the playback devices view will freeze at whatever the audio was at when it cut out. This hardly seems like a hardware problem especially considering...
  • Disabling and re-enabling the rift headphones fixes it temporarily. 
  • Furthermore, the rest of the headset including he MIC works just fine, I confirmed this last night by running audio through my speakers on elite while continuing to communicate with my wingmate via the rift mic. He could hear me just fine.
Additionally I followed some ye olde advice to disable all speakers/audio output devices except for the rift headphones in order to make it work. This actually had the polar opposite effect. Instead of the audio cutting out after roughly 5 - 20 min, it was cutting out non-stop the instant audio was disabled. When I re-enabled just my main speakers leaving the monitor speakers, and digital out disabled it returned to the intermittent disconnects. 

What does this tell me? Something is fucking up in the software end. So..  I haven't had a chance to try the advice in the last post, I instead caved in and swapped around USB ports just to try and rule it out. I'm going to bet that doesn't help at all, and so after I rule that out that I will do something about the realtek audio drivers. I've got my money on the problem being solved after that.

Blahde
Protege
Jesus.
This is a complete nightmare!! When I first got the rift, never had even a hiccup, then a short while ago, a month maybe less. OMG!! It's driving me nuts. I think I have tried everything.

Rollback, disable fast boot, disable USB save power, Just today I uninstalled the Oculus software and re-downloaded and installed. No joy. I even re-installed Win 10 less than a week ago and still the same problems.

I think I have tried every fix in this thread, multiple times and still get the problem.

To quote Azirphaeli in the above post:

• Audio will randomly stop working. When it does, the rift Headphones audio level in the playback devices view will freeze at whatever the audio was at when it cut out. This hardly seems like a hardware problem especially considering...
  • Disabling and re-enabling the rift headphones fixes it temporarily. 
  • Furthermore, the rest of the headset including he MIC works just fine, I confirmed this last night by running audio through my speakers on elite while continuing to communicate with my wingmate via the rift mic. He could hear me just fine.
That is exactly what I get.

This is a Major problem and I'd like it if someone from Oculus would at lease come back with some sort of update on what they are doing to fix it.

Really getting pissed off now!!

Blahde
Protege
OK. Been in and out of Oculus VR, it just will NOT work!!! (Sound wise).

So, between the Oculus store and Steam I have spent maybe...£300 on Oculus games. I have never bought a VR game that didn't support the Rift. That Rift didn't (supposedly) support.

So, I'm thinking I can go back to Amazon (I bought the rift there) and get a refund? I bought my 3rd Sensor from the Oculus store so I want a refund for that as well..

So, I think a refund is in order now, it's been a while with no fix. All the games I have purchased are Oculus VR only. None of them work, can I claim the £750 back?

I say £750 because I have managed to play some of them.I can't play any of them at all now (with sound)

HTC is looking pretty good right now....I'm sorry to say.

LZoltowski
Champion

Blahde said:

OK. Been in and out of Oculus VR, it just will NOT work!!! (Sound wise).

So, between the Oculus store and Steam I have spent maybe...£300 on Oculus games. I have never bought a VR game that didn't support the Rift. That Rift didn't (supposedly) support.

So, I'm thinking I can go back to Amazon (I bought the rift there) and get a refund? I bought my 3rd Sensor from the Oculus store so I want a refund for that as well..

So, I think a refund is in order now, it's been a while with no fix. All the games I have purchased are Oculus VR only. None of them work, can I claim the £750 back?

I say £750 because I have managed to play some of them.I can't play any of them at all now (with sound)

HTC is looking pretty good right now....I'm sorry to say.

Did you submit an official support ticket?

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Blahde
Protege
What is the Point?
No one here gives a sh...Monkeys!

Oculus knows what is going on but they have no Idea what to do..I presume?

So, no I didn't .I can't be bothered anymore!.

No offence!

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
It´s a PC and all sorts of configurations takes form across hardware from motherboards to different cpu´s that have to be compatible with different graphiccards, memory, expansioncards etc.
 All of this have to work together with first of all the operation system, then software written for every single uint. The amount of different configurations is mindblowing. Unfortunately vr is not yet that much plug and play.
 Dont give up. If you love VR, then fight and help make it a better platform !
 Yeah Oculus might know of the problem, but haven´t got enough "cases" to solve it. If you say fuck it, it wont get easier for them to patch solutions.

And im pretty sure if most of the community that stick around in this forum had come across a solution to your problem, they / I would have linked you what to do. 🙂
Be good, die great !

Blahde
Protege
"And im pretty sure if most of the community that stick around in this forum had come across a solution to your problem, they / I would have linked you what to do.  "

Exactly!!

Appreciate the words mate, I do. I do understand "PC blah, blah" stuff but Oculus know about this and seem to do sweet Fanny Adams about it. I could raise a ticket but there is nothing they can suggest that I haven't already tried.

They need to fix it in the Software or the Hardware. It's their problem to fix. Me, I think it's a Windows thing but I don't pay Microsoft...

Richooal
Consultant

Blahde said:

What is the Point?
No one here gives a sh...Monkeys!

Oculus knows what is going on but they have no Idea what to do..I presume?

So, no I didn't .I can't be bothered anymore!.

No offence!

If you "can't be bothered", you can't get a refund. You need to open a ticket for that.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Blahde
Protege

Richooal said:

If you "can't be bothered", you can't get a refund. You need to open a ticket for that.

Glad it's running good for you then....Nice!
I really don't want a refund, that's just frustration talking...or maybe typing. I love my Oculus. 

I've (hopefully) fixed my problem, it was a shit load of trial and error, two re-installs of Win 10, many, many attempts at various fixes. A few installs of the Oculus Software and so on..

I've now been fine (bar a little crackle, here and there). I can live with that....Tough job, but some of us are just unlucky I guess!

Astronuts
Honored Guest

Blahde said:

Richooal said:

Glad it's running good for you then....Nice!
I really don't want a refund, that's just frustration talking...or maybe typing. I love my Oculus. 

I've (hopefully) fixed my problem, it was a shit load of trial and error, two re-installs of Win 10, many, many attempts at various fixes. A few installs of the Oculus Software and so on..

I've now been fine (bar a little crackle, here and there). I can live with that....Tough job, but some of us are just unlucky I guess!

Can you please provide us (the unlucky ones) some workaround to this issue?