cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LZoltowski Sketchbook

LZoltowski
Champion
Hey, so I have been using Medium more as a collaboration space with clients using existing models, but decided to start doing my own thing 🙂

Decided to do a quick doodle myself to figure out workflows between it and Substance and Redshift renderer .. Was super quick, gave me an idea for a proper sculpt which I will chronicle here 🙂

3hfi8eqrxu6l.jpgxo2b616nxyut.jpgkplx5jpw43v0.jpg2jby6z24zvsq.jpgfp633y3s57pf.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
72 REPLIES 72

Anonymous
Not applicable

Going to have a nice long 3-hour session tonight on my Rodin sculpt, cant wait!

Ya, pretty hard one to pass up.  I get the feeling that it's going to be a really big project though.  Just paying tribute to Rodin's mastery seems like a massive challenge.  Glad we don't have to do this in granite, I cannot even imagine the amount of skill that must take.

Beautiful sculpt, you should probably read the contest rules though.  You're going to have to do another one now

LZoltowski
Champion

Going to have a nice long 3-hour session tonight on my Rodin sculpt, cant wait!

Ya, pretty hard one to pass up.  I get the feeling that it's going to be a really big project though.  Just paying tribute to Rodin's mastery seems like a massive challenge.  Glad we don't have to do this in granite, I cannot even imagine the amount of skill that must take.

Beautiful sculpt, you should probably read the contest rules though.  You're going to have to do another one now

What do you mean do another one? What did I miss?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ya, looks like you found it.  Still an awesome sculpt, you were going to do another one anyhow, it's not like you aren't addicted to medium, like the rest of us 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

Ya, looks like you found it.  Still an awesome sculpt, you were going to do another one anyhow, it's not like you aren't addicted to medium, like the rest of us 🙂

Won't have the time, its a silly rule if you ask me, we can post updates on cgsociety contests, anywhoo, it should be mentioned in the post rather than buried in the pdf, nevermind .. I had fun making it tho, will post some final renders tomorrow.

Be kind to one another 🙂

Henri1970
Adventurer
is it like based on something he made? it's awesome and all the stuff i found online was kinda mmmmmkay. did not search for very long

Anonymous
Not applicable

Henri1970 said:

is it like based on something he made? it's awesome and all the stuff i found online was kinda mmmmmkay. did not search for very long

Full rules are in the contest link.  With a very broad reading of this,  might still be eligible, ultimately it's at the contest holder's discretion, and they aren't required to disqualify.  There's also a somewhat contradictory clause about company logos, and the requirement not to use outside software, unclear how that applies to the medium logo. Medium gets all rights to the work and any adaptations of the character, as well.

The relevant portion appears to be this:
  • "During the Entry Period, Submissions cannot be displayed or distributed except by us and entrant must maintain all rights, without third party obligations, to transfer entrant’s Submission to us if selected as a Winner."
  • "Submissions must not have been submitted previously in any contest of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly (i.e., disclosed beyond your immediate circle of friends and family) through any means previously."
  • "Entrants agree that during the Entry Period, they shall not make, and shall not permit, any other public use, display or distribution of the Submissions, and they shall maintain all rights without encumbrances so that, if Sponsor desires, entrants can assign all rights in and to Submissions if selected as a Winner."
Probably wouldn't hurt to get official clarification

Agree that the sculpt is awesome.

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's really beautiful man!

LZoltowski
Champion
Just adding this, it was a quick doodle, I have my next project in mind, will take a while!

ejtat47vqapu.jpgz8w07ysrri58.jpg

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
So, I was rewatching Ghost in the Shell for like 1000th time (anime version) .. and I really wanted to re-create or at least my interpretation of the iconc Spider Tank where Major rips it open, ripping herself apart in the process.

Was meant to be a quick little doodle but it turned into an obsession!!

Everything was modelled using Medium, even the walls and pillars, textured in Substance Painter and rendered using Redshift. I was so pleased with the result I decided to make a video of it, took 2 weeks to produce.

Enjoy 🙂

https://youtu.be/eyKe4J8awyg

I am sure @cybereality will get a kick out of this 🙂

Some test renders and other bits:
ewr2gtidawn4.jpg
88kd7tuclld2.jpg
ggbngngy37eg.jpgrufnr9w542ir.jpgs0dh3qinec0x.jpgfnbi8g9co4i8.pngzxenwmdxlafq.png

Each frame is constructed from render passes for AO, GI, diffused lighting, volumetric lights, reflections, refractions etc.

q9avb587whcr.gif

ass0q16bwb7h.jpg

Some other environment lighting tests, I deemed it too bright and not atmospheric enough.

hejfppttxlxc.jpg

Be kind to one another 🙂

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Mate, that video is goddamn stunning!