cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Spontaneous Reboot

MarsKat
Explorer
Having a really bad time with this, so any help would be much appreciated.

My Windows 10 PC is spontaneously rebooting while running the Oculus software AND the HMD is plugged in (but needn't be active). This tends to occur  <10 mins of game time (Onwards and Dungeon Knight as examples), but has also occurred during the "See what your hands can do" setup segment and while in the Oculus Store. 

Attached is the OculusLogGatherer zip. 
Oculus Log and Win's Event Logger show a lot of "[Kernel:Error] OVR Error:".

I hope somebody smarter than me might be able to help diagnose from that. Thank you for looking!

Some pointers/previous areas looked at:
  • Everything was working fine for months on the same setup - so probably driver clashes or a new hardware fault. First noticed on Feb 14th while playing Lone Echo - it seemed to be a corrupt save game...but now observed everywhere.
  • I've stripped the PC back to minimal hardware and connections.
  • Reset Windows 10, installed latest drivers (inc Nvidia 390.77 - is this still an issue and is spontaneous reboot the effect?)
  • Latest firmware on Z270 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon, and Samsung Nvme m.2 960 Evo (boot and only drive), 
  • No overclocking. No overheating observed. 550W Themaltake PSU.
  • On 3 sensor setup, 2 x usb 3.0, 1 x usb 2. Usb 2 is on the 5m extension cable supplied with the extra sensor.
  • Same problem when using SteamVR.

Oculus Rift CV1 
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon | i5 7600K @ 3.8GHz | 16Gb GTX | Gtx 1080 8Gb

39 REPLIES 39

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
If you say you had problems with the save on that game you mentioned, then you could have a Windows 10 fault. This won't say for certain there's a fault, but try running a command prompt as administrator and type sfc /scannow. This may fix Windows 10, but there's no guarantee.

Have you also done things like re-seating your Ram and Graphics card? That's if you know what you are doing inside a computer? Also, testing one stick of Ram at a time in their slots and swapping the slots if you still have problems? Also, is it only in VR you have this problem? Have you tested games on your monitor for example?

The more info the better someone can help, but here's some links to do the tests.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Just to add what someone else has already said. What is the event viewer saying what caused the crash?

http://www.howto-connect.com/event-viewer-on-windows-10/

MarsKat
Explorer
While running VRmark I get the following failure (the benchmark fails). Not a reboot as per OP, and nothing to do with Oculus as no Oculus software is running and the Rift isn't plugged in... but could it be an underlying DirectX problem?

eva::graphics::rendering::valeta_renderer::render(): File: dx_device.cpp Line: 1256 Function: class eva::graphics::typed_native_shader<5> __cdecl eva::graphics::dx::dx_device::create_pixel_shader(const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,const class std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class std::allocator<char> > &,enum eva::graphics::compilation_warning_mode) Expression: m_native->CreatePixelShader( bytecode.pointer(), bytecode.size(), nullptr, native.receive()): DX11 call failed [-2147024809]. The parameter is incorrect.
The parameter is incorrect.
:

Oculus Rift CV1 

MarsKat
Explorer
I've tried a complete reinstall- wiped the disk, installed Windows 10, MSI motherboard drivers (using Live Update 6), Nvidia 3.88.59, Steam (latest), and Oculus software (latest).
I nearly completed the Oculus first-time setup -- transferred to First Contact robot RV, after about 10 seconds in there, the computer spontaneously rebooted! Same problems on the clean install. Misery continues...please help if you can 
 😕

Oculus log attached.
[Service_2018-02-27_04.17.09.txt] 27/02 04:43:01.719 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Default] Cannot serialize non-finite value
Windows Event logger - what info would be useful to attach here? 
Oculus Rift CV1 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@MarsKat - Did you do what I said with the Graphics Card and memory if you know what to do inside a computer? Have you tried resetting your bios to it's defaults? Looks like it might be a Hardware fault, but if you don't give a response to people's suggestions then they can't help you. I also asked if it was just doing it in VR, but you didn't answer..

MarsKat
Explorer
@RedRizla Hi, yeah, I've gone off on my own path a bit on this... thanks for prompting me.
Yes, I removed, visually inspected and re-seated the RAM, GPU and M.2. All looks fine and everything outside VR works as expected/
Yes, reset BIOS to defaults. There's no overclocking or tweaking being applied either.
2D/flat games and apps are fine - tested for several hours. 3DMark runs its benchmark fine.
Windows is reinstalled and fully updated. Nvidia 3.88.59.
I have not done a RAM stress test... other than the standard 3DMarb benchmarks

The problem only occurs when Oculus software is running. Crash times are a few seconds in VR to about a minute.
I've noticed that running SteamVR (which launches Oculus, of course) consistently crashes on the first time setup within 10 seconds, even if the HMD is not activated.
(the crash behaviour doesn't require any 3rd party VR apps to be running ie no games launched)

The Oculus logs show a lot of OVR errors:
[Service_2018-02-27_05.56.34.txt] 27/02 05:56:46.138 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.560 {!ERROR!} [Camera:General] Camera list is empty but CV1 camera vid/pid found in the device tree - Reporting driver install problem.
[Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.591 {!ERROR!} [OAF ERROR] C:\cygwin\data\sandcastle\boxes\trunk-hg-ovrsource-pc-sdk\Software\OculusSDK\PC\OAF\liboaf\Network\FileHttpRequest.cpp(339) : Download CompatLibData failed with error: FatalError domain: TigonFileDownloaderProtocolError code: 0 detail: Unexpected HTTP response. (1971005)
[Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.591 {!ERROR!} [OculusAppFramework.cpp] Download of https://www2.oculus.com/compatibility_library?access_token=OC|1522986184659833| failed: OVR64123165
[Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:15.707 {!ERROR!} [OVRServer] Downloaded compatibility JSON is bad. First 50 characters: %s
[Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:46.073 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:46.123 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
[Service_2018-02-27_06.01.14.txt] 27/02 06:01:47.122 {!ERROR!} [Kernel:Error] OVR Error:
Oculus Rift CV1 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Have you tried using a different Hdmi port for the Rift? How many monitors do you have? Tried just using the Rift without monitor plugged in? Are you using a usb card? I'm not really up on Oculus log problems, but @cybereality might be able to help with that part. What do you think Cyber looking at these logs? 

MarsKat
Explorer
Both my monitor and Rift are on the GPU (GTX 1060 6Gb) - just the one monitor on a display port, the Rift directly into the only HDMI on the GPU.
The only alternative HDMI is on the motherboard, and this is live (I can hot-plug in and get a monitor display).
This is all setup as it used to be 'when it all just worked' for the first 100 hours or so.

I'm trying to isolate the failure conditions, but either there's multiple factors, or they seem so random, I haven't been able to recreate them reliably.
The only definite pattern I've noticed is that when the computer reboots (spontaneously) it tends to fail very quickly afterwards again  <1 min back in VR. However, if I do a proper clean 'shut down', when starting up again I have had play time as long as 2 hours.
I'm also totally confident that the cause is 'something to do with VR usage' -- but whether that's hardware or software lead, HMD or sensor/ usb controllers (just using the built in one on the MSI motherboard), I'm at a loss.
It's all the same hardware that worked just fine before, and ostensibly the same software (or their recently updated versions).

It may be coincidental, but problems seemed to start approx around the time I tried the Rift Core Beta - does that prompt any firmware updates? How is firmware handled on the touch, sensors and HMD?

I'm shooting blind with these logs... if I'm not supplying the information needed, please let me know what's important to escalate.

Thanks very much for your assistance.
Oculus Rift CV1 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Are you still using the Rift core Beta or have you gone back to using the stable version of Oculus Home. I know a few people have had problems with Rift Core beta, so it would be wise to go back to using the stable build of Oculus Home..

I know it sounds silly but sometimes it can even be mouse software that causes this. You haven't installed any mouse software have you? This happened to another guy in these forums due to some mouse software he had installed. After you installed Windows 10 did you try the Rift straight away or did you install anyother software. Just asking to rule things out that's all. I asked about the ports because they to can just go faulty. I also have a Usb card which I think is much better.

@cybereality - Should be able to take a look at the logs. Hopefully he can help with that part..

MarsKat
Explorer
Rift Core Beta was my first suspicion when problems started, so I switched back and have remained mainly on the 'non-beta' original....although in time, I have tried Beta again to see if it helped - it didn't, so back to original.

No new hardware or software. Just a USB mouse and keyboard - same one as always - with whatever standard drivers Windows provides.

This morning's reinstallation was as clean as I could make it: wiped drive with Windows 10, allowed to update itself, USB mouse, keyboard, MSI motherboard drivers (via MSI's Live Setup 6 - automatic driver finder utility), Steam, Oculus software, Google Chrome, and then the Oculus hardware... rebooted about 10 seconds in to the First Contact robot setup/tutorial. 
Oculus Rift CV1 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Yeah it's obvious it's VR related to some hardware. Bit of a strange one. Did you try removing the Hdmi at the headset end and plugin that back in? Hopefully, Cyber will be along to look at your logs later on. I'd maybe do a memtest, but you said your 2D games worked fine. Are your games for VR on a separate HDD/SSD for the CV1? Was just thinking of maybe a HDD/SSD going bad if they were..