cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Users w/ Black Screen on Rift, Post Logs Here

cybereality
Grand Champion
If you are still experiencing issues with black screens on Rift, please share your log files here. Usually with this issue, Rift will work the first time after a reboot, and then after removing the headset or going idle for a while, the screen in Rift will become black. Restarting your computer or the Oculus service can sometimes temporarily work around this issue. Some users have also had some success with rolling back their video card drivers (for example, to 388.59 on Nvidia). It would be helpful to know if you installed the latest Fall Creators Update, for Windows 10 users. It would also help to know if you are on Rift Core 2.0 or are still using the classic version. Also please note if you have Guardian enabled or disabled. 

See this thread for how to get your LogGatherer zip file.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-...

Note, the file may be too big to attach to the forum, so you may want to use a hosting service like GoogleDrive, etc.

Your help here will assist us in getting to the bottom of this issue. Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: If you're using an Nvida GPU and are having the black screen issue, it may help to send some files to Nvidia as well. See this thread for details.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1039358/geforce-drivers/requesting-end-user-assistance-with...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
301 REPLIES 301

hkarrson
Protege
Just so you know, I have Nvidia Geforce Experience on my PC, which I use to install game-ready drivers for my GTX 1050 TI. Also, I'm not sure if this is related, but I am a developer, so I have Unity, UE4, and VS2017. Also, I have Steam, Epic Games Launcher, and I also have Fraps. And, I have a KVM switch, but I don't think that should matter. I run Windows 10, I have both an SSD and a HDD, and unfortunately opting out of Rift Core 2.0 doesn't switch back to the original desktop application and still has black screens, even if I repair the Oculus Software. However, restarting does fix it for a short period of time.

magnus_fosdal
Honored Guest
i had the same issue until i took and used DDU (display driver uninstaller) in safemode and rolled back to 388.59 and it fixed the problem for me but hopefully this will get fixed soon so i can update my drivers again without the fear of it happening again.

The issues i had with the latest nvidia driver was the following:
  • blackouts used to happen after i played a game and let the headset idle for 10-15 min, reboots often fixed it until you played a game again and let it idle again.
  • software began forgetting devices connected randomly.
  • touch controllers unpaired from the software
  • had to go trough setup each time i rebooted
then i read the 388.59 driver was the recommended driver to use for now wich made me use the ddu software as mentioned above and it completely fixed my problems.
i sadly forgot to gather the logs before doing this as i was pretty frustrated and wanted to temp fix it asap.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I see definite issues with signal integrity leading to intermittent sparkles, flashing frames, or black screen.  I have a pretty monstrous rig, running with 2 MSI 1070 Quicksilvers that I operate either in SLI mode or individually.  
I originally had this rig set up as multi-Virtual Machine VR server, with both Oculus Rift and Vive running simultaneously.  I have since moved the Vive to another rig and boot on single system.  This is all to say that I have played on this HW with both Rift and Vive.  Here's a table of findings:
Rift direct: Pass
Vive direct: Pass
Rift with 10ft 4k rated extender(s) : Intermittent fail going to solid fail over time
Vive with 10ft 4k rated extenders(s): Pass
Rift with 1 foot HDMI cable to 4k HDMI repeater: Pass
Rift with 6 foot HDMI cable to 4k HDMI repeater: Intermittent fail going to solid fail over time
Rift with 12ft Ultra Premium certified HDMI cable to 4k HDMI repeater: Intermittent fail going to solid fail over time

I tested several variables as not affecting results:
1) HDMI source : Used both GVX 1 and 2, identical results
2) HDMI port: Used HDMI, DisplayPort (with adapter), and DVI (with adapter).  No difference
3) Mechanical stress: I worked hard to minimize this issue

Some variables that still need further testing:
1) EMI and crosstalk.  I have a lot of cables, including some power cords running along same route as extender cables.  There could be some cross talk, especially since I was able to run with the 12 foot extender when it was still coiled up.  When I routed it and reconnected, I got intermittent fails.
2) USB3 power.  When I use an extender cable, I also use a USB3 extender cable.  I haven't had any USB3 errors, but there may be some marginality with VBUS.

So if we look at the system, it is like this:
GFX => Port => cable => [repeater] => cable => rift

There are two kinds of failures when I go to black screen:
1) Detected by Oculus SW
2) Not detected by Oculus SW
I think that failure failure #1 occurs when Oculus SW loses I2C connection to the Rift headset.  Failure #2 occurs most often.  The only resolution I have for #2 is to plug cycle.  This pushes the failure into bin 1, then the headset is detected again.  

When I have failures, they may be thermal or power related.  This is because I only have issues when I'm actually playing in-game.  I've used Rec Room Jumbotron as a testbed.  I found that the failures always occured in more graphically intense scenes (like a firefight).  I don't have data to back this up  yet--need to take some graphs on power and temperature.  

I have several theories about the root cause:
1) Failures occur due to voltage droop from GFX card when under load
2) Failures occur due to marginal performance of Rift cable
3) Failures occur due to marginal performance of HDMI repeater (I can feel it warming up over time)

It could very well be due to all of these issues.  Voltage droop could affect the HDMI repeater or the Rift HMD.  I'm not sure.  But it is incredibly frustrating to have this many phantom issues.  My play space is really limited if I don't have some sort of extender.  

jones1876
Explorer
The issue with the black screen is happening to me as well, i rolled back to the 388 drivers and it seemed to fix the issue but then the other day the rift kept connecting and disconnecting without me even wearing it.  So i opted out of the beta and the dash and now everything seems to work

here are my log files

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hQ0Wjur9vxlfeHCIyFRoPE_akbXqx_uJ/view?usp=sharing

Duncan_Disorder
Protege
Yesterday, I downloaded the latest NVidea driver (391.01). This is new and not to be confused with 390.77. 

The latest driver appears to have solved my black screen issues when trying to boot my Oculus. Both my Oculus and monitor would go black and I'd have to use the reset button on my pc. But, this is no issue now that I've downloaded the new driver.

Hope this helps. 

Rahotep
Protege

Yesterday, I downloaded the latest NVidea driver (391.01). This is new and not to be confused with 390.77. 

The latest driver appears to have solved my black screen issues when trying to boot my Oculus. Both my Oculus and monitor would go black and I'd have to use the reset button on my pc. But, this is no issue now that I've downloaded the new driver.

Hope this helps. 

I have 390.77. I will give the new driver a try tonight. Thanks for the feedback

Duncan_Disorder
Protege

Rahotep said:

Hope this helps. 

I have 390.77. I will give the new driver a try tonight. Thanks for the feedback

You're not going to believe this. AFTER I posted yesterday my Oculus prompted me for an update. I updated. When my visor rebooted, same bloody problem all over again, black monitor screen and black Rift screen. I've noticed even my keyboard doesn't respond, as none of the lights, like caps lock, num lock don't light on or off when you press the appropriate key. I've tried unplugging and plugging my keyboard via the usb, the same with the Rift's usb and HDMI, my monitor shares the graphics board and I tried that. I know it isn't in conflict. Nothing I do helps. I must reset the PC. AGAIN! Recently, I'm apprehensive about using my Rift and have hardly played with it. Now, I don't know what to do. Nothing works. 

Pic0o
Protege
I have the same issues with black flashing and then clipping below the floor.
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.125] (1709) running Nvidia Driver 390.77 (getting ready to downgrade driver).
I have guardian disabled and am in the Rift Core 2.0 beta.

I can send logs but is there a semi-private way to do so? They contain quite a bit of machine information I would rather not openly share.

I am seeing some Windows Event log errors kick out with an EventID of 0 for OVRServiceLauncher.
Error 01:
"[ProcessWatcher] Unable to create ACL for redist launch event. LastError = 0x0 (0): The operation completed successfully."

Error 02:
"[LauncherService] Could not stop 'C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRRedir.exe' because process handle (00000000000003CC) did not become signaled. Result = 258. LastError = 0x0 (0): The operation completed successfully.

Assuming process is stuck and killing it forcibly..."

I can also get the hard-black screen by removing my headset and putting it back on. Audio will play but no video will display.

Pic0o
Protege
My last post got eaten, but yes I rolled back from Nvidia driver 390.77 back to 388.31 and the floor clipping issue and black screen went away.

I am on Creators update 1709 (Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.125]) with Guardian Disabled and running Rift Core 2.0 Beta.

I have some windows error logs from the application section that were popping up before I rolled my drivers back.
[first log item]
Source: OVRServiceLauncher
EventID: 0
'[LauncherService] Could not stop 'C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRRedir.exe' because process handle (00000000000003CC) did not become signaled. Result = 258. LastError = 0x0 (0): The operation completed successfully.

Assuming process is stuck and killing it forcibly...'

[second log item]
Source: OVRServiceLauncher
EventID: 0
'The following information was included with the event:

[ProcessWatcher] Unable to create ACL for redist launch event. LastError = 0x0 (0): The operation completed successfully.'

I'm sorted again with older drivers. Hopefully the windows logs help, as I didn't want to publicly share the debug logs as they have lots of system information in them, I'd rather share semi-privately.

Gabkicks
Explorer
i have 391.01 nvidia drivers and latest oculus beta software and still have trouble. If i put my headset on, i will get video and audio for a few seconds, but it stutters every 2 seconds or so a few times, then the screen goes black.,
Oculus rift DK2, 4790k, R9 290 crossfire disabled, 16gb DDR3 1866, Windows 10 64-bit, 2 monitors.