cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Spontaneous Reboot

MarsKat
Explorer
Having a really bad time with this, so any help would be much appreciated.

My Windows 10 PC is spontaneously rebooting while running the Oculus software AND the HMD is plugged in (but needn't be active). This tends to occur  <10 mins of game time (Onwards and Dungeon Knight as examples), but has also occurred during the "See what your hands can do" setup segment and while in the Oculus Store. 

Attached is the OculusLogGatherer zip. 
Oculus Log and Win's Event Logger show a lot of "[Kernel:Error] OVR Error:".

I hope somebody smarter than me might be able to help diagnose from that. Thank you for looking!

Some pointers/previous areas looked at:
  • Everything was working fine for months on the same setup - so probably driver clashes or a new hardware fault. First noticed on Feb 14th while playing Lone Echo - it seemed to be a corrupt save game...but now observed everywhere.
  • I've stripped the PC back to minimal hardware and connections.
  • Reset Windows 10, installed latest drivers (inc Nvidia 390.77 - is this still an issue and is spontaneous reboot the effect?)
  • Latest firmware on Z270 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon, and Samsung Nvme m.2 960 Evo (boot and only drive), 
  • No overclocking. No overheating observed. 550W Themaltake PSU.
  • On 3 sensor setup, 2 x usb 3.0, 1 x usb 2. Usb 2 is on the 5m extension cable supplied with the extra sensor.
  • Same problem when using SteamVR.

Oculus Rift CV1 
MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon | i5 7600K @ 3.8GHz | 16Gb GTX | Gtx 1080 8Gb

39 REPLIES 39

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
You wait for support to reply, but power problems like the PSU been faulty can throw up error logs if the PC isn't running right. You have no choice but to either borrow a PSU, or get a new one which is what I would do. You wouldn't waste money getting a better PSU because the one you have isn't a good one. A rebooting PC can be a big indicator that it's the PSU that's faulty because it's not given sufficient enough power to all of your devices constantly. That's why it might be fine running 2D games, but run into problems when using extra power for the Rift.. Let use know how you get on..

MarsKat
Explorer
Thanks for the advice and help. I'll look into a replacement for the PSU. I accept that it may not be a particularly good model etc. but to be clear; even if it's considered a marginal unit, it did work flawlessly for nearly 6 months with the same Rift setup -- so we're not just saying that it is inadequate, but that it has probably developed a fault? It's still under warranty, so I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to pursue that.
Oculus Rift CV1 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

MarsKat said:

Thanks for the advice and help. I'll look into a replacement for the PSU. I accept that it may not be a particularly good model etc. but to be clear; even if it's considered a marginal unit, it did work flawlessly for nearly 6 months with the same Rift setup -- so we're not just saying that it is inadequate, but that it has probably developed a fault? It's still under warranty, so I'm just wondering if it's reasonable to pursue that.

Psu can be very picky so that's why I recommend a good one. I can't say for certain that one has developed a fault, but it may just have started to be picky with the devices you have connected. Did you try disconnecting the monitor and just using one sensor and the Rift to see if the computer reboots then? Your using less power then so that might be worth a try. I still don't think much to that PSU you have though whatever the outcome. The PSU is what I'd look at first now and then I'd wait and see what Oculus have to say about those logs. Let use know because this helps others!

Electryic
Protege
Sounds like an issue with Windows 10.   WIndows Mixed Reality headsets have a sensor over the inside that detects when you put it on the headset.  The headsets stay on all the time and it sounds like from what your saying that Windows 10 is interpreting you putting your finger over the sensor as a command to go into Sleep mode and then reboot... since you said the computer is powering off but when it comes back on it is going directly to the log in screen.  If the computer was actually rebooting due to a power supply issue (i.e. some component had a hiccup and didn't get power and it caused the computer to turn off/reset) t hen you would start at the bios screen as per a normal start up. 

People with very similar issues to what your saying have put a piece of tape over the sensor and it has solved their issues.  I am not totally sure what sensor you are talking about but might be worth a try to see if that stops the computer from resetting. 

Also the 1060's use very little power, I doubt its a power supply issue.   I've already bought all kinds of new hardware hoping to fix various hiccups and issues w/ the WMR headset (self powered USB hub) and the problem always comes back.  I would be cautious about going out and buying new hardware like a power supply until your absolutely certain. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Electryic - You might be right but he's tried fully reinstalling Windows 10 and still has the problem. Hence why people said it might be worth borrowing a PSU and trying that to see if it works. Could Windows 10 still cause the same problem you mention after a clean install, if it can then is sticky tape really the answer?

Electryic
Protege

RedRizla said:

@Electryic - You might be right but he's tried fully reinstalling Windows 10 and still has the problem. Hence why people said it might be worth borrowing a PSU and trying that to see if it works. Could Windows 10 still cause the same problem you mention after a clean install, if it can then is sticky tape really the answer?

Sorry for the late reply I'm not often on this forum.   Yes this issue with WIndows 10 is not a malfunction.   I believe the issue/error lies in the fact that Win 10 is interpreting the Rift as a WMR headset in this regard with this particular sensor.   Especially if it is coming back onto a log screen that means it is going to sleep and then waking up, which is tied to that sensor on the WMR headsets. 

MarsKat
Explorer
Resurrecting this old thread for closure....

In the end, I replaced my PSU with a high quality one (Corsair RM750i). No change.
Immediately after that, tracked down the cause... the mains line electricity wire was loose in the electricity meter across the road -- only found this out when it knocked out the whole house. The computer was obviously more sensitive to the slight flickers as the problem began.

So: not a Rift problem, or even a computer problem, but the main electricity pole outside on the street!   :sweat_smile:
Oculus Rift CV1 

DigitalDeviant
Protege
@MarsKat

I spent some time reading the thread, mentally preparing some steps for you before i realised just how old the thread is! 
RAM test and PSU were my first stops - but anyway, glad you sorted it and nice to see you come back and tie up the loose end. 
B)

MarsKat said:

Resurrecting this old thread for closure....

In the end, I replaced my PSU with a high quality one (Corsair RM750i). No change.
Immediately after that, tracked down the cause... the mains line electricity wire was loose in the electricity meter across the road -- only found this out when it knocked out the whole house. The computer was obviously more sensitive to the slight flickers as the problem began.

So: not a Rift problem, or even a computer problem, but the main electricity pole outside on the street!   :sweat_smile:

Wow, just reading this thread through and increasingly thinking what others were... that this was a PSU issue, that's the problem I've had in the past that destabilises more than anything else.

The one thing I'd never have considered is an issue with the power supply into the house!! this goes to show how thinking outside the box is a good idea… literally in your case. I'll add this to my list of things to think about in the future, although probably still the last thing on my list!!

Anyway, glad it's been sorted @MarsKat , hope you have a lot of hours of trouble-free VR, sounds like you deserve it!

Digikid1
Consultant
Glad it has been sorted out but at least now you have a mucher higher quality unit in there. Strange though.