cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DreamShapers sketch book

Anonymous
Not applicable
Medium is a fantastic experience, before I keep adding sculpts, decided it's time to start a sketchbook.  Will start with a bit of a retrospective, and more or less start at the beginning and with any luck, keep at it for years.  Here's a carousel I made a few months ago, to see the creations up to that point.

Two Year Anniversary Update (mostly sequential with annual highlights)

41cesgktb9ey.jpg

Earlier part of this post, carousel built inside medium with snapshots, from way back when we just met
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UahalLb04TU&feature=youtu.be
403 REPLIES 403

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cut tool was a freaking horrible idea, outside of reminding me to stop and consume fuel, which I had plenty of time to do while it was attempting to process a cut that I knew missed the second I let go of the button.

Think the upshot of the whole thing is that too many large draws with the move tool causes a lot of fragmentation.  Of course the tool will presumably still try to extend every particle, regardless of how deep or connected it is.   While this is useful sometimes, each of those paths and the gaps between them, along with the appropriate color data have to be sent to the card, I'd think. Probably gets more complicated when one surface passes through another.

At any rate, decided to just start over, which was enlightening.  Spent a lot more time on my initial setup, so I'd have enough of a core to work with.   This paid off extremely well.  Fragmentation has been minimal, sculpt is probably as large as the other (hard to tell), and I picked up a few new tricks.  Will see if I feel that way when I review the photos, I took a lot of them this time.  At any rate, sculpt isn't done, but it's got a lot more edges and is handling a lot smoother.

Will get some images in play tomorrow.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Started by rounding up some driftwood
pxb22zy8v7c4.png63il1g2t4qqg.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
At first I was going to carve a face into this thing.  A few chops in and I realized that just wasn't going to work out this time, and this thing was going to take on a life of its own.  Especially when I more or less abandoned that idea and started drilling holes and cutting away the surface to get a better look at the clay mix.
33s58vx86dnc.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Some bizarre ideas about an ancient tree city and strange and powerful
idols that might protect it began to crawl into my head.  Well, here we go, right down the rabbit hole.  I  have a feeling this is going to be a long strange journey
1epr4j8wl4ws.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Carving staircases and adding roots, stepping back to see where it's going, starting to get an eldritch feel to it.  Like the way it looks from this angle, almost a different sculpt
uph6hrtjl12z.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Spins around a bit... some roots drop down around the walkway, a bit further away I get a sense of gaping jaws.  Not sure if I can carry that through the entire sculpt, but the concept of a living city is kind of appealing
7qc1dz2v53eh.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Getting curious what a different material would look like, maybe take a quick peek.  Turns out its sorta disco and sunglasses.  Not exactly what I'm going for, let's spin the wheel again
k9c1sxdluztp.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Maybe something more metallic, again the sculpt takes on an entirely new character. The first angle brings thoughts of a cybernetic octopus. Another angle brings out all sorts of interesting reflections and highlights, filing that in case I ever need to design a futuristic looking highway system.  I briefly contemplated removing vast sections of the sculpt and turning down that road, to see where it leads, finding the bright lights attractive against the dark background
ays58ryp5d6x.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't resist the urge to look at another angle.  From here I see a thorn rising, or perhaps the egg shaped curve of an alien's elongated skull
yd2chozjkomz.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Or maybe, I'm just imagining things, and it's just an old tree trunk, a perfectly natural, organic thing
tjgv7vyag388.png