cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Fix] for HDMI/Sensor issues after PC wakes from Sleep or HMD goes black after idling

LZoltowski
Champion
I did some digging and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is causing issues for users of laptop and desktops where USB and HDMI are affected by Sleep Wake.

Turning fast startup to off has fixed an issue for me where the HDMI light would go Orange, or sensor tracking would be unusable and glitchy.

After PC wakes up my Rift would have an orange light and required a reboot to get it to work again, disabling it solved the issue:

Edit: This fix also seems to fix the HMD being unusable after a few hours of not being used.
Edit2: I have pinned this thread for a bit as I have had more reports of this working for others.
Edit3: If you are experiencing instant HMD blackout after taking it off for the first time and the below fix does not work, people have reported that temporarily disabling the Guardian System, for now, fixes the issue.

After disabling it Do not reboot, perform a shutdown, wait a few secs and start up again.

power options

available options

fast startup

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
77 REPLIES 77

jroc2680vr
Explorer
Not sure if this is the correct place for this but this is what I am experiencing -

-Sound issues (game plays but no sound).  Have to reboot to fix.  Not often but it has happened.
-Play for a min to maybe 10 when the display in the head set locks up.  I continue to more forward in the game as if I am holding the joystick but can't look around in headset or use any controls.   I can see what is happening but it gets weird and nauseating.  Screen eventually just goes black.  
-Headset as well as multiple sensors disconnect and then reconnect once the headset gets weird.
-Randomly will get warning in oculus that a sensor is having frame rate issues.  Unplug and plug back in and all good. 
-Sometimes when starting games like Robo Recall or Tales of Glory, when standing still and not physically moving or using any controls, my character will slowly drift to the left.  Always to the left and then always followed by the headset crashing. 

This has all just started within the last few days and I can't figure out what changed.  I don't recall doing any updates.  I did move the computer as the room was redone.  The sensors are in different places.  However,  I was able to play for a few days without any issues.  

This is what I have tried  in the sequence I tired them:

Disabled guardian system in oculus 

Disabled public test channel 

Disabled rift core 2.0

Disabled fast start option in power settings per oculus post

Disabled occulus tray tool 

Headset still disconnected. Right sensor failed.  

Eliminated any extension cable from sensor other than what was originally hooked up 

Put wireless adapter back in original USB port 

Roll back video driver from 390.77 to 390.65

After a few minutes in tales of glory the head set cuts out as well as multiple sensors.  They all come back automatically.  Drift issue when standing still.  

Played robo call for 10 minutes with no disconnects but drift issue in game 

Played karnage for at least 20 minutes and running for almost an hour.  No issues.   No drift. 

Plugged in power cable for usb 3 ext card.  

Plugged in left sensor to usb powered card

Used ext cable for rear sensor 

Played tails of glory.  Drift present again.  Within minutes head set, sensors and mic card cut out 

Reinstalled Occulus 

Uninstalled all nvida options and deleted device in device manager.  Reinstalled Nvida driver version 388.59.  

Went through device a manager and disabled all power management options for USB ports and the same in control panel 

Issues still persist.   Feeling the pain of hours spent trouble shooting and minutes played 😞 

Help!

Windows 10 latest vs and updates.  Guardian turned off.  Classic Oculus 

Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit

LZoltowski
Champion

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but this is what I am experiencing -

-Sound issues (game plays but no sound).  Have to reboot to fix.  Not often but it has happened.
-Play for a min to maybe 10 when the display in the head set locks up.  I continue to more forward in the game as if I am holding the joystick but can't look around in headset or use any controls.   I can see what is happening but it gets weird and nauseating.  Screen eventually just goes black.  
-Headset as well as multiple sensors disconnect and then reconnect once the headset gets weird.
-Randomly will get warning in oculus that a sensor is having frame rate issues.  Unplug and plug back in and all good. 
-Sometimes when starting games like Robo Recall or Tales of Glory, when standing still and not physically moving or using any controls, my character will slowly drift to the left.  Always to the left and then always followed by the headset crashing. 

This has all just started within the last few days and I can't figure out what changed.  I don't recall doing any updates.  I did move the computer as the room was redone.  The sensors are in different places.  However,  I was able to play for a few days without any issues.  

Disabled rift core 2.0

Eliminated any extension cable from sensor other than what was originally hooked up 

After a few minutes in tales of glory the head set cuts out as well as multiple sensors.  They all come back automatically.  Drift issue when standing still.  

Played karnage for at least 20 minutes and running for almost an hour.  No issues.   No drift. 

Played tails of glory.  Drift present again.  Within minutes head set, sensors and mic card cut out 

Reinstalled Occulus 

Uninstalled all nvida options and deleted device in device manager.  Reinstalled vs 388.59.  Went through device a manager and disabled all power management options for USB ports and the same in control panel 

Issues still persist.   Feeling the pain of hours spent trouble shooting and minutes played 😞 

Help!

Windows 10 latest vs and updates.  Guardian turned off.  

Sounds like USB power management, have you tried disabling USB power management in Power Plan Options as well as disabling power management for every USB controller in Device Manager?

k711w20o2jgd.jpg
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
@jroc2680vr

also, disable power management for the sensors themselves

f1ojpi6rpvte.jpg

Be kind to one another 🙂

jroc2680vr
Explorer

Disabled rift core 2.0

Reinstalled Occulus 

Uninstalled all nvida options and deleted device in device manager.  Reinstalled vs 388.59.  Went through device a manager and disabled all power management options for USB ports and the same in control panel 

Help!

Windows 10 latest vs and updates.  Guardian turned off.  

Sounds like USB power management, have you tried disabling USB power management in Power Plan Options as well as disabling power management for every USB controller in Device Manager?

k711w20o2jgd.jpg

Yes, I went through everyone of them in one of my last steps today 😞  Thanks for the reply though.  
Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit

jroc2680vr
Explorer

@jroc2680vr

f1ojpi6rpvte.jpg

Thanks.  Just double checked all of them.  Every sensor, every usb listing and options in control panel power management.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.   Also, I have a wireless network adapter on one of the USB ports.  Always have based on the location and setup.  This also cuts power when the sensors go out and then clicks back online.  Not sure where to start at this point.  The company that I purchased the PC from got a remote connection and said the computer was fine but couldn't help troubleshoot the Oculus.   

LZoltowski
Champion

@jroc2680vr

f1ojpi6rpvte.jpg

Thanks.  Just double checked all of them.  Every sensor, every usb listing and options in control panel power management.  Any other suggestions would be appreciated.   Also, I have a wireless network adapter on one of the USB ports.  Always have based on the location and setup.  This also cuts power when the sensors go out and then clicks back online.  Not sure where to start at this point.  The company that I purchased the PC from got a remote connection and said the computer was fine but couldn't help troubleshoot the Oculus.   

Looks like there is some sort of a power interruption and USB resets or shuts down 😕

Can you post your logs here from log gather and also list full specs, including everything you have connected to your PC, motherboard manufacturer etc ?

Be kind to one another 🙂

jroc2680vr
Explorer

@jroc2680vr

f1ojpi6rpvte.jpg

Looks like there is some sort of a power interruption and USB resets or shuts down 😕

Can you post your logs here from log gather and also list full specs, including everything you have connected to your PC, motherboard manufacturer etc ?

Hey.  Info below.  Log link from dropbox.  Let me know if you have an issue getting.  Also, should I move this to "For Users w/black screen on rift, post logs here"?  I thought that was where I had posted but I guess not.  If ok here then I will just leave.   Also, not 100% how to tell type of MB so I attached pics.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2tmyl2vqqb4uqd/Oculus_Logs_VR_20180304_104844.zip?dl=0

Specs - 

CybertronPC - Palladium Liquid Cooled Desktop - Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD

Front USB 3 port - Netgear wireless adapter - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-ac1200-wireless-ac-high-gain-wi-fi-usb-3-0-adapter-black/886000...

Front USB 3 port - Oculus rear sensor 

Rear top USB 3 port - right sensor connected with USB 3 ext cable 

Rear USB C port - headset USB

USB 3 expansion card - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-2-port-usb-3-0-pci-express-interface-card-silver/5621006.p?sku... - left sensor 

1080 GTX - left HDMI - Oculus headset, right HDMI - HDMI to TV

USB 3 expansion card (same as above from Insignia) USB with connection to wireless keyboard, USB with connection to wireless gaming controller 

Sound card - Asus Xonar DGX - not used

LZoltowski
Champion
@jroc2680vr  could you do a quick experiment?
Remove that Insignia card out of the computer (the top one), and connect both sensors to your available USB slots on the mobo?

san6coavyfae.jpg

Also, I can see the Insignia cards use Fresco Logic FL1100EX, are you using Fresco Drivers (from the manufacturers' website)  or Microsoft ones?

One last question, what PSU do you have? Wattage wise?

Be kind to one another 🙂

jroc2680vr
Explorer

@jroc2680vr  could you do a quick experiment?
Remove that Insignia card out of the computer (the top one), and connect both sensors to your available USB slots on the mobo?

san6coavyfae.jpg

Also, I can see the Insignia cards use Fresco Logic FL1100EX, are you using Fresco Drivers (from the manufacturers' website)  or Microsoft ones?

One last question, what PSU do you have? Wattage wise?

Hey.  Cards installed with default on CD which I can't find.  Don't know what Fresco Drivers are so I am guessing no on that one.  I removed 1 of the insignia cards but still have a second one attached below the video card with the wireless adapter for the mouse/keyboard and the wireless gaming controller.  Is that ok?  Also, when you say to connect both sensors to the MB, do you mean the one on the front as well?  PSU info attached.  Thanks!

LZoltowski
Champion
I mean, have both sensors + HMD USB all on the motherboard + rear sensor on the front USB... just basically eliminating any connections to the USB extender cards.

Be kind to one another 🙂