cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Fix] for HDMI/Sensor issues after PC wakes from Sleep or HMD goes black after idling

LZoltowski
Champion
I did some digging and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is causing issues for users of laptop and desktops where USB and HDMI are affected by Sleep Wake.

Turning fast startup to off has fixed an issue for me where the HDMI light would go Orange, or sensor tracking would be unusable and glitchy.

After PC wakes up my Rift would have an orange light and required a reboot to get it to work again, disabling it solved the issue:

Edit: This fix also seems to fix the HMD being unusable after a few hours of not being used.
Edit2: I have pinned this thread for a bit as I have had more reports of this working for others.
Edit3: If you are experiencing instant HMD blackout after taking it off for the first time and the below fix does not work, people have reported that temporarily disabling the Guardian System, for now, fixes the issue.

After disabling it Do not reboot, perform a shutdown, wait a few secs and start up again.

power options

available options

fast startup

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
77 REPLIES 77

jroc2680vr
Explorer

I mean, have both sensors + HMD USB all on the motherboard + rear sensor on the front USB... just basically eliminating any connections to the USB extender cards.

Same thing 😞  Played Tales of Glory through Steam for about 5 minutes. My character would physically drift to the left once I got in.   Screen locked but as in I couldn't move my head and my character drifted forward on map.  Black screen and then heard the familiar noises of devices disconnecting and reconnecting.  Headset, 1 sensor and the wifi card...out and then right back in.  

The tech support for the computer I purchased is great.  I am planning on calling them in awhile to remote in take a peek. I am not sure what they can do but I am lost at this point.  Any other thoughts would be appreciated or things I should ask them.  Thanks for your help.     

Is this similar to what other people are experiencing right now?  
Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit

LZoltowski
Champion

I mean, have both sensors + HMD USB all on the motherboard + rear sensor on the front USB... just basically eliminating any connections to the USB extender cards.

Same thing 😞  Played Tales of Glory through Steam for about 5 minutes. My character would physically drift to the left once I got in.   Screen locked but as in I couldn't move my head and my character drifted forward on map.  Black screen and then heard the familiar noises of devices disconnecting and reconnecting.  Headset, 1 sensor and the wifi card...out and then right back in.  

The tech support for the computer I purchased is great.  I am planning on calling them in awhile to remote in take a peek. I am not sure what they can do but I am lost at this point.  Any other thoughts would be appreciated or things I should ask them.  Thanks for your help.     

Is this similar to what other people are experiencing right now?  

This is a bit different, it's a power issue for sure. But where is it happening?! God only knows .. if it happens even when everything is connected to the motherboard then it's either PSU not giving clean enough power, or windows is shutting down the USB ports.

The drifting is happening because the sensors cut out so tracking is lost.

You have tried it all WITHOUT the netgear dongle plugged in right?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
I also recommend downloading https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php?

Then running it, it will search for newest drivers for everything that's in your computer, including Intel USB chipset etc ..

Update everything and then uninstall iobit, it can get naggy.

Reboot

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant
Be VERY careful recommending so called " Driver Boosters" and programs that "claims" to keep your drivers up to date.

99.9% of them are harmful and install fake drivers that are spyware infested.

It is best to AVOID these programs and to just go to the manufacturers site and look up your model number and grab the latest drivers for it.

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

Be VERY careful recommending so called " Driver Boosters" and programs that "claims" to keep your drivers up to date.

It is best to AVOID these programs and to just go to the manufacturers site and look up your model number and grab the latest drivers for it.

I have been using it safely on 3 machines. Not a single issue. 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant

Digikid1 said:

Well that is fine and dandy for you but I've had loads of issues with my customers using these programs and then something goes nuts.  Removing these type of programs and installing the drivers from the manufacturers always fixed it.

Not trying to step on any toes here.  It's your machine so it's your choice but still be very careful of those programs.

jroc2680vr
Explorer

Digikid1 said:

Digikid1 said:

Well that is fine and dandy for you but I've had loads of issues with my customers using these programs and then something goes nuts.  Removing these type of programs and installing the drivers from the manufacturers always fixed it.

Not trying to step on any toes here.  It's your machine so it's your choice but still be very careful of those programs.

Appreciate the warning.  I have been using Driver Booster since I got the machine with no issues.  
Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit

jroc2680vr
Explorer

I also recommend downloading https://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php?

Then running it, it will search for newest drivers for everything that's in your computer, including Intel USB chipset etc ..

Update everything and then uninstall iobit, it can get naggy.

Reboot

I have always had it installed without issues but will try removing it.  The only thing not updated in it right now is the Nvida driver as I rolled it back based on peoples feedback on issues with the latest driver.  

I just had tech support log into the computer and watch me play for a half hour with no issues lol.  Only time in days that I have been able to play for more than 5 minutes and of course didn't act up while they were watching.  Wtf.  They could not find anything other than an Oculus error. in the event log.   Oculus got back to me in a support ticket with the following - 

"I notice that you say that you moved your setup to another location. Before you started to use your Rift, did you rerun your Rift + Touch setup?

If you didn't that can affect your VR experience. Even if you put the hardware back in a similar configuration that can still have a negative impact on your gameplay.

I would also like to make sure that there are no software conflicts that may be causing the issues. To this I would like to manually uninstall Oculus then reinstall the most up to date version. Here are the steps to uninstall Oculus:
  1. Disconnect the computer from your network
  2. Reboot the PC in Safe Mode
  3. Uninstall Oculus using the control panel
  4. Delete all Oculus folders from here:
    • C:\Program Files
  5. Remove any Oculus folder from here:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\Roaming
  6. Restart the PC in normal mode, and connect to your network
  7. Install Oculus Home
    • You can install Oculus Home by clicking here
    • Please note that doing this will affect your eligibility for a refund on software purchased in the last 14 days

Please let me know once you've had a chance to complete these steps."

I did reinstall but just removed from the control panel - add/remove and reinstalled.  I will try the above and go from there.  

LZoltowski
Champion
I wonder if by them being logged in remotely prevented the USB from going to sleep lol

Windows Fall Creator Update has been the most annoying thing in the world.

There is a workaround from MS with regards to the latest patch that borked USB power management, perhaps you could try that too:

1. Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.

2. Type regedit and press Enter.

3. Go to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

4. If the USB key does not exist in the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created.

5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane.

6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu.

7. Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend.

8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK.

10. Reboot your PC.

Be kind to one another 🙂

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star
Fast Start disabled didn't work for me.
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060