cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got to try Oculus GO - Thoughts

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Was able to try out a Production Prototype of Oculus GO at one of our developers. I wanted to put down my feelings of the community here before I pen a feature:

- the display is much crisper than CV1
- the FOV seemed slightly tighter (not much)
- felt like the same performance as a GVR, just better screen
- did not try controller
- audio was underwhelming but this may be due to the demos

I was surprised that there will not be a SD card slot - and was not sure what the final production versions battery life will be. But I still think this will be a great boon to OVR.

I think this could put Daydream into a uncomfortable position - not sure if the OGO will be only able to access the Oculus Store - if that is the case, may be a bit of an issue if HTC release their standalone.

Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

Just my quick observations.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
132 REPLIES 132

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

danknugz said:

so what is santa cruz exactly?

If GO is the mobile phone of the VR world, then Santa Cruz is the Smart Tablet or Laptop.

bringing the experience of PC-quality virtual reality to an untethered headset.

http://www.techradar.com/news/project-santa-cruz

danknugz
Superstar
flaccid.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?

CaryMGVR
Expert Protege
kevinw729 said:
Final observation, I get the feeling that OVR will announce
the launch of this a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

laserjr
Explorer

Mradr said:

32GB of storage is actually quite a bit really for mobile games. There would not be a lot of just "add on" apps like a phone has, email, pictures, or text. They don't have long running games such as mmos and with limits to hardware - it really puts the breaks on what can or can not be possible. One thing they should've maybe thought about is maybe upgradable storage banks instead.

Yes, SD cards run the risk of not being good - but it would've been nice to have the ability to add a SSD to the device as a upgradable storage unit instead. SATA technology doesn't really cost that much to add to a device. Something maybe the next version can look into replicating in the future. As for where the drive can rest - in the pocket or in a slot in the back of the headset.

I don't think it is that much space actually, I have a handful of GearVR games that are 4-6gb each, plus apps like Jaunt or NextVR that offer downloadable 360 videos that are def in the gb's in size. I have a feeling a person with anything but a tiny library will have to uninstall things quite a bit in order to install a different app.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

laserjr said:
I don't think it is that much space actually, I have a handful of GearVR games that are 4-6gb each, plus apps like Jaunt or NextVR that offer downloadable 360 videos that are def in the gb's in size. I have a feeling a person with anything but a tiny library will have to uninstall things quite a bit in order to install a different app.

I have to agree, the two size offering do seem to be on the skimpy side, when you remove the SD card slot.
I am sure there is a plan towards doing this, that may be linked to the new cross platform support infrastructure to be announced at the FB event - but it still seems like a missed opportunity - and is a SD slot such an expense to add to the hardware? Either way, I think this unit will sell well.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

JonJonXD
Expert Protege
I am not expecting much from OGO from a general consumer perspective. I can see it working for VR demos and PR type outings, but not something your average consumer is going to buy.

Anyone I know that got a GearVR doesn't use it, so I'd like to see what the active user stats of that device, daydream, etc. actually are.

Realistically, though the price range is awesome, your average consumer will go PSVR before anything else, if they want to have a VR experience. It's the platform that is most accessible and makes the most sense.

I am confident that there are more PS4 owners interested in VR than there are people without PS4s interested in VR, especially when PSVR will have more content that people will actually want accessible to them.

However, I do respect and understand the technological feat this product brings, and see it as a stepping stone to future products and the evolution of entertainment consumption. I just don't see this product being a massive hit, given the market for VR today.
PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

laserjr
Explorer

JonJonXD said:

I am not expecting much from OGO from a general consumer perspective. I can see it working for VR demos and PR type outings, but not something your average consumer is going to buy.

Anyone I know that got a GearVR doesn't use it, so I'd like to see what the active user stats of that device, daydream, etc. actually are.

Realistically, though the price range is awesome, your average consumer will go PSVR before anything else, if they want to have a VR experience. It's the platform that is most accessible and makes the most sense.

I am confident that there are more PS4 owners interested in VR than there are people without PS4s interested in VR, especially when PSVR will have more content that people will actually want accessible to them.

However, I do respect and understand the technological feat this product brings, and see it as a stepping stone to future products and the evolution of entertainment consumption. I just don't see this product being a massive hit, given the market for VR today.

I'm also guessing it probably won't be a huge hit, but I don't see it being a flop either. Everyone I know who wants a GearVR has an iPhone, and they aren't about to switch just to get a headset. Even I only gave up my iPhone to get the Gear, now that OGO is coming I may be able to switch back to iOS now.

I can see kids getting this, they're the ones who possibly don't have phones yet, this could take the place of their 3DS.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

laserjr said:
I can see kids getting this, they're the ones who possibly don't have phones yet, this could take the place of their 3DS.

I see this as the main point - following up from the whole Samsung phone issue, now that there is no phone loyalty involved it should be a simple "portable VR" solution.

I do expect this to have a good run - and will be a great demo tool for developers of bigger projects. The analogy with 3DS is app on so many levels, all but for storage! But that is a small issue compared to what this could be as part of a strong ecosystem that supports all platforms as one.

Digikid1
Consultant
Just a question that was asked of me when I showed the Android central article to a friend. 

Does it have built in Wifi?

laserjr
Explorer

Digikid1 said:

Just a question that was asked of me when I showed the Android central article to a friend. 

Does it have built in Wifi?

Surely it must, otherwise I don't know how you'd get the games onto it.