Audio stutter problems with people talking in Echo Arena - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Audio stutter problems with people talking in Echo Arena

13»

Comments

• wasyl00wasyl00 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    Banthan said:

...PlusNet........

Bantham. I highly suspect its Plusnet's issue here in UK. Me and FlAsH-FlOod are too with the same ISP. 

Its been a while since my last update but I'm still fighting with the issue. Since around 80% of my total VR time I spend in Echo Arena, I will not stop until I fix the damn thing :) The lack of proper communication is especially painful when trying to include more tactical gameplay. Its very frustrating as I like team play. 

Anyway...I tried last two things (on my side) I believe could be a problem in my setup which are external network card and different network cable. Unfortunately both didn't work :/

I also tried running some broadband tests for dropped packets but my results were not proving anything and my connection seems to be fine so I don't really have anything to complain about to my ISP. 

As a last resort, I decided, I will be switching my ISP from Plusnet to Vodafone fiber by end of this month. They have a very good deals ATM so I will give it a shot.

I will update you guys once I jump. 
  • tekanotekano Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    ok a further update I still have audio probs, am on fibre UK EE west London. If there are 2 v 2 players I hear everybody perfectly fine. soon as third player joins, then audio stuttering begins immedietly
    Brain Burst
    Guys, I solved the issue! All this time it was my internet provider. I just had my new fiber connection activated today, turned out switching from Plusnet to Vodafone (BTW I'm located in UK) did the trick. 

My god, what a feeling to have clear communication after all these months!  :p

Just in case I recorded two evidence videos before and after. See below. 

This is my old connection - ISP Plusnet - crappy VOIP. 

And this is my Vodafone connection - great VOIP. 

Funny thing is that first time I connected that guy was streaming music with this solo guitar riffs and they sounded so incredibly clear it nearly brought a tear to my eyes lol 
  • FlAsH-FlOoDFlAsH-FlOoD Posts: 35
    Brain Burst
    congrats Wasy!!! I'm pleased you've sorted it out. I hope you nod sympathetically to those of us left constantly explaining we can't hear you!
  • BanthanBanthan Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    wasyl00 said:
    Guys, I solved the issue! All this time it was my internet provider. I just had my new fiber connection activated today, turned out switching from Plusnet to Vodafone (BTW I'm located in UK) did the trick. 
    Excellent work! Thanks for confirming it worked. I’ll be moving from PlusNet at the earliest opportunity...
    Brain Burst
    congrats Wasy!!! I'm pleased you've sorted it out. I hope you nod sympathetically to those of us left constantly explaining we can't hear you!
    FlAsH, its such a pain watching you trying to communicate with others and knowing exactly how bad it is on the “other side”. I’ve been playing around a week on the new connection and its pretty much perfect anytime, anyday. I can wholeheartedly recommend you making a switch as soon as you can. Its a completely different game with working voice chat. 
    Brain Burst
    Hehe - Wasy you have inspired me to move! I am currently giving plusnet a last chance to look into it before moving despite having to pay a fine. https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/In-game-VoIP-not-working-with-Plusnet-I-m-going-to-have-to-leave/m-p/1522305/highlight/false#M18758

I ran a ping plotting programme to see if there were dropped packets between me and the EA servers, and to see the internet routing. Plusnet could not see anything wrong with it but did ask me if i could get someone who has working VoIP to try the ping plotter so they can see a comparison. If you want to help out us deaf robots then you could run the ping plotting - info below! Don't worry if you do not fancy it as i am trying to get someone on the EA discord channel to run it (currently unsuccessfully).

Cheers

This is the simpliest ping plotting programme that i used: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/. The IP for the server can be found in the EA logs: e.g C:\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-echo-arena_local\r14logs Start EA then open the last log. Ctrl-F 'connected' and the second instance should read something like [NSLOBBY] connected to host peer [72.26.219.158:2000] This is the lobby IP. Copy the IP address (the port info at the end is not needed) and put it in winmtr and start recording whilst you are in EA. Plusnet want to see if their routing is different. Then snip/print screen it as a photo or export it as text or html in the programme.

Brain Burst
    No problem. This is what I'm getting while in the lobby.
    Brain Burst
    Thanks very much Wasy - i'll pass it on.
    Brain Burst
    Hehe - you have inspired me Wasy. I am giving a last attempt with sorting it out with plusnet and then i will move. The problem is i started a 2yr contract last year but i will just have to swallow the leaving fine. https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/In-game-VoIP-not-working-with-Plusnet-I-m-going-to-have-to-leave/m-p/1522305/highlight/false#M18758

Plusnet are having a look into it but there is not much they can do i think. I did a ping plot and they asked if someone else who the VoIP works for can give it a go to compare. If you are up for it you could help out! Details below, but don't worry if you don't fancy it - i'm trying to see if someone on discord will help out.

This is the simpliest ping plotting programme that i used: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/. The IP for the server can be found in the EA logs: e.g C:\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-echo-arena_local\r14logs. Start EA then open the last log. Ctrl-F 'connected' and the second instance should read something like [NSLOBBY] connected to host peer [72.26.219.158:2000] This is the lobby IP. Copy the IP address (the port info at the end is not needed) and put it in winmtr and start recording whilst you are in EA. Plusnet want to see if their routing is different. Then snip/print screen it as a photo or export it as text/html in the programme.

Cheers
    Brain Burst
    Hehe - you have inspired me Wasy. I am giving a last attempt with sorting it out with plusnet and then i will move. The problem is i started a 2yr contract last year but i will just have to swallow the leaving fine. https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/In-game-VoIP-not-working-with-Plusnet-I-m-going-to-have-to-leave/m-p/1522305/highlight/false#M18758

Plusnet are having a look into it but there is not much they can do i think. I did a ping plot and they asked if someone else who the VoIP works for can give it a go to compare. If you are up for it you could help out! Details below, but don't worry if you don't fancy it - i'm trying to see if someone on discord will help out.

This is the simpliest ping plotting programme that i used: http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/. The IP for the server can be found in the EA logs: e.g C:\Oculus Apps\Software\ready-at-dawn-echo-arena_local\r14logs. Start EA then open the last log. Ctrl-F 'connected' and the second instance should read something like [NSLOBBY] connected to host peer [72.26.219.158:2000] This is the lobby IP. Copy the IP address (the port info at the end is not needed) and put it in winmtr and start recording whilst you are in EA. Plusnet want to see if their routing is different. Then snip/print screen it as a photo or export it as text/html in the programme.

Cheers
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Have you seen the latest EA update?

They implemented a new feature which you may find very useful. Press F9 when in game to see stats on your 2D screen. 

Brain Burst
    Thanks Wasy. I had a go. Here are mine: https://imgur.com/a/brBXb
    With a few people in lobby i was getting a packet loss of 0.30 and with more people 0.46. You didn't have any packet loss. Are you still using your netgear router or are you using the Vodafone one?

Plusnet have gone quiet on my thread on their forum. I am going to have a look over the weekend and chose another ISP.

Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    I only popped for a few minutes this morning to test a new patch with almost empty lobby. I will have another look today and post more pics probably. Lets see how the stats will change with more people in the lobby. 

I'm using my Netgear D7000 and so far and have no issues. I was not Impressed with Voda router. 

I'm also following your thread on the Plusnet forum out of curiosity ;)

Edit: Here you go stats from three different lobbies. All of them were pretty crowded but sound was just fine. You seem to have similar pings but a bit more dropped packets. Maybe that is the problem. 

• b-twiceb-twice Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    As of last night I too am having stutter in lobby and in games as well.  I have never have any audio issues prior to this and have been playing about 8 months or so...
    Brain Burst
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Wasy. Seeing the difference in the dropped packets between plusnet and vodafone is really frustrating as the quality is an issue with them but they are not fixing it. I'm going to move but will have to pay £117 for the privilege of leaving them to go and get a good service. :/

Sorry to hear that b-twice. Who is your ISP, and what router do you use?
    Brain Burst
    I've made a bit of a break through on the plusnet forum. A member of their staff tried EA at home on their own rift and reported no problems with the VoIP, which left me thinking it was not plusnet. They did a ping plot too and i could see that they were logging on to a different plusnet server, the one that deals with static IPs. I asked if i could test this server myself and they put me onto a temp static IP so i could log onto that server and guess what? EA VoIP works!! There is no packet loss on that one whereas before there was some.

So their dynamic IP server doesn't work with EA but the static one does. They are going to look into what the difference may be, but in the meantime have left me on the static server. I'm well chuffed. It was amazing hearing people properly for the first time!
    Brain Burst
    Good stuff Flash! Welcome to completely different game. 

Your case is another evidence that the problem lays in some specific routing configuration and its entirely on the IPSs side. I would recommend other to follow your steps. 
    Brain Burst
    I had one match with the voip working....you are right, it is completely different. It's great!

I am hoping plusnet work out what the difference is and then other people with the problem have something to go to their ISPs with too. It'll be interesting to see if they actually do manage to work out what the problem was.....

Brain Burst
    @Banthan Plusnet support have asked if people with the problem can let them know their external IP address (google myip to get it).

You can post it here and i'll let them know or add it to the plusnet thread directly:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Gaming/In-game-VoIP-not-working-with-Plusnet-I-m-going-to-have-to-leave/td-p/1520355/page/3