cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Possible Fix] for HDMI/Sensor issues after PC wakes from Sleep or HMD goes black after idling

LZoltowski
Champion
I did some digging and Windows 10 Fall Creators Update is causing issues for users of laptop and desktops where USB and HDMI are affected by Sleep Wake.

Turning fast startup to off has fixed an issue for me where the HDMI light would go Orange, or sensor tracking would be unusable and glitchy.

After PC wakes up my Rift would have an orange light and required a reboot to get it to work again, disabling it solved the issue:

Edit: This fix also seems to fix the HMD being unusable after a few hours of not being used.
Edit2: I have pinned this thread for a bit as I have had more reports of this working for others.
Edit3: If you are experiencing instant HMD blackout after taking it off for the first time and the below fix does not work, people have reported that temporarily disabling the Guardian System, for now, fixes the issue.

After disabling it Do not reboot, perform a shutdown, wait a few secs and start up again.

power options

available options

fast startup

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂
77 REPLIES 77

LZoltowski
Champion

Fast Start disabled didn't work for me.

What are your exact symptoms?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

jroc2680vr
Explorer

I wonder if by them being logged in remotely prevented the USB from going to sleep lol

Windows Fall Creator Update has been the most annoying thing in the world.

There is a workaround from MS with regards to the latest patch that borked USB power management, perhaps you could try that too:

1. Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.

2. Type regedit and press Enter.

3. Go to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

4. If the USB key does not exist in the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created.

5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane.

6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu.

7. Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend.

8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK.

10. Reboot your PC.

So, I did the above reg edit and Oculus's recommendation for a safe mode removal/reinstall as seen in a previous post.  As of now, everything works.  I can't get it to crash.  I haven't had a ton of time to play but it usually didn't take very long to get pi$$ed off.    I wish I had the patience to do one before the other so I could better direct others for a resolve but I don't  and did both at the same time (:  I will start reintroducing things that make sense such as latest video driver etc one and a time a document on my end until I hit the end of the list of things I changed before the final resolve.   LZoltowski  - thanks for your time.  I appreciate it. 
Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit

jroc2680vr
Explorer

I wonder if by them being logged in remotely prevented the USB from going to sleep lol

Windows Fall Creator Update has been the most annoying thing in the world.

There is a workaround from MS with regards to the latest patch that borked USB power management, perhaps you could try that too:

1. Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.

2. Type regedit and press Enter.

3. Go to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

4. If the USB key does not exist in the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created.

5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane.

6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu.

7. Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend.

8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK.

10. Reboot your PC.

So, I did the above reg edit and Oculus's recommendation for a safe mode removal/reinstall as seen in a previous post.  As of now, everything works.  I can't get it to crash.  I haven't had a ton of time to play but it usually didn't take very long to get pi$$ed off.    I wish I had the patience to do one before the other so I could better direct others for a resolve but I don't  and did both at the same time (:  I will start reintroducing things that make sense such as latest video driver etc one and a time a document on my end until I hit the end of the list of things I changed before the final resolve.   LZoltowski  - thanks for your time.  I appreciate it. 

Played tonight with the same crash.  I did roll back the clock to by pass the current issue but not sure if that would make a difference.  Did not troubleshoot after it crashed...so tired of troubleshooting. 
Liquid Cooled Intel Core i7-7700K - 32GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 240GB SSD + 2TB HDD.  Windows 10 64bit

oGhosti
Explorer
For me now Rift is just broken. Period. I've reinstalled everything, ordered a DVI adapter (Which fixed it for the most part), installed that patch the other day... NOW Rift just doesn't want to work if I play a game longer than 10 minutes or less.

Any game I play except for one (VRChat; which is odd because it's the game that runs the worst for me. What a joke.), black screens for a few seconds, comes back on and off.. over and over and over again. Then eventually the screen will just flash white (Oculus Home is trying to appear, but it's not supposed to.), whilst playing the game. It's very serious, and if I was epileptic, it would instantly have given me a seizure.

This is the one and only problem I'm having with the rift now. DVI Cable should work for anyone else, unless this is connected (Which I woudln't be surprised..)

My games all run fine 60+fps no drops until the display cuts off. (etc, etc)

• Display cuts off randomly. Usually within 10minutes or less.
  • Display restores for a few seconds or a few minutes. Random.
  • Sensors apparently also bug out at the same time it seems.
  • If you attempt to press the Oculus button, while it blacks out, it will cause major Seizure hazards.
  • Every game does this except VRChat (Again, ironic. It runs like garbage compared to any other game but I never have issues for hours on that "game".)
So, any news on the progress of the Oculus Team fixing this?
Literally makes the Oculus unplayable and just an over-priced paperweight at this point. Considering refunding it to be honest.

Srilankan1
Explorer
Did you get any response to this?  ordered a new cable but have given up on my rift now for a few days. But it seems like the exact same issues you were having.

stargate88
Protege
If you have installed the Windows 10 April's update. You'll have to do this again since it seems to reset this setting.

Lito
Honored Guest

oGhosti said:

For me now Rift is just broken. Period. I've reinstalled everything, ordered a DVI adapter (Which fixed it for the most part), installed that patch the other day... NOW Rift just doesn't want to work if I play a game longer than 10 minutes or less.

Any game I play except for one (VRChat; which is odd because it's the game that runs the worst for me. What a joke.), black screens for a few seconds, comes back on and off.. over and over and over again. Then eventually the screen will just flash white (Oculus Home is trying to appear, but it's not supposed to.), whilst playing the game. It's very serious, and if I was epileptic, it would instantly have given me a seizure.

This is the one and only problem I'm having with the rift now. DVI Cable should work for anyone else, unless this is connected (Which I woudln't be surprised..)

My games all run fine 60+fps no drops until the display cuts off. (etc, etc)

• Display cuts off randomly. Usually within 10minutes or less.
  • Display restores for a few seconds or a few minutes. Random.
  • Sensors apparently also bug out at the same time it seems.
  • If you attempt to press the Oculus button, while it blacks out, it will cause major Seizure hazards.
  • Every game does this except VRChat (Again, ironic. It runs like garbage compared to any other game but I never have issues for hours on that "game".)
So, any news on the progress of the Oculus Team fixing this?
Literally makes the Oculus unplayable and just an over-priced paperweight at this point. Considering refunding it to be honest.

Exactly the same on my case.

Wingnutradio
Honored Guest

Collect ALL logs, using the OculusLogGather tool in your Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics directory it hsould give you a zip file, if you could attach that.

In the meantime, have you disabled power management on all of these?

fjgtqkqfoj8s.jpg

a6tnbwb7jkby.jpg

9cys10o03g24.jpg

making your above changes now hoping this will help thank you