cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DreamShapers sketch book

Anonymous
Not applicable
Medium is a fantastic experience, before I keep adding sculpts, decided it's time to start a sketchbook.  Will start with a bit of a retrospective, and more or less start at the beginning and with any luck, keep at it for years.  Here's a carousel I made a few months ago, to see the creations up to that point.

Two Year Anniversary Update (mostly sequential with annual highlights)

41cesgktb9ey.jpg

Earlier part of this post, carousel built inside medium with snapshots, from way back when we just met
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UahalLb04TU&feature=youtu.be
403 REPLIES 403

Anonymous
Not applicable
Foliage is getting closer to where I want it.  Quite a few statues seem to be showing up.  This is a really busy sculpt, which is hard to capture in 2d.  At this point, it is turning into an exercise to see just how much detail I can put into it without my computer spontaneously combusting
ab10goaef04w.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mid Session photo continued...  forward view

Tricky to photograph, because either too far away to see much detail (although the enlarge image feature is nice, here), or a tendency to fish-eye a bit as moving in closer.  Getting close enough to see the details on the interior of the sculpt, tends to crop huge amounts of the image.  Getting the water dialed in is complicated, especially when it's limited to a single layer that's shared with other elements.  Statues have the same limitation due to the way they are spread out, have to work with minimal rez, which is challenging, but interesting.  Maybe the team will crack the 20 layer limit in the near future, would be a huge breakthrough in terms of what can be done with a sculpt.

rvvy8b3gnt7x.png
Also managed to do a bit of work on the sides, and back.  May work on those a bit more now.  Maybe.  Or may do something completely different, been staring at this one for several days now.  Kind of want to work on another sculpt, but a little afraid that it might be a long time until I return to this one if I let my focus shift.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Is looking sick but you're right about it being hard to read. Maybe if the little houses were a different colour it might help break up that sea of dark brown?

Anonymous
Not applicable

P3nT4gR4m said:

Is looking sick but you're right about it being hard to read. Maybe if the little houses were a different colour it might help break up that sea of dark brown?

Maybe.  Will have to think about it.  Maybe I'll change their materials a bit, so they're more obvious and see how that uses the space.  Think this sculpt needs a break for a bit.  Been on it long enough that I might need to come back with a fresh perspective.  This thing has been pretty much all I've been looking at for days now, starting to melt my brain

Just looking at the photos, maybe I'll try painting the totems, maybe thatch the roofs or something? 

Alternative approach would be to work from a specific angle. Load a snapshot of the sculpt and light, along with one of the chosen viewpoint into images.  Then see if I can get my brain to really flip and work the two-dimensional aspect.  See if I can get it to appear as something completely different until you zoom in.  I'm attracted to that idea for some reason.   Potentially.  I'd have to free up a layer or two to (attempt to) execute that, which I'm not sure I can make that happen. An alternate way might be to chop through it and create some serious daylight, or a lot of waterfalls, but I'm not sure that will take me where I want to go with it.  Some other thoughts I'm playing around with, but am going to have to meditate on it.

More likely, I'll just keep detailing, maybe use some bright moss to help delineate things.   Anyhow, tricky problem, and I really like the way it looks in VR, where the 2-D aspect isn't nearly as strong and the image isn't heavily compressed.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Haha! Yeah, I know that feeling. Rocky Horror is beginning to get that way.

Anonymous
Not applicable
(edited above post while you were posting).  Ya, had it happen a few times, get sculpt fatigue 😮 .

This one has a lot of moving parts, which helps in that regard.  I have to make sure that I come back to it, I leave this and I might get latched onto some other idea and forget about it for a month or two.  Seems to be a recurring risk if I jump out of a project too early.  All these posts, I kinda feel committed to it now, though.  Maybe I'll open it in painter and play around with adding in more background over-paint, get an idea what might work

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a great video, but kinda rushed at the moment.  Turntable (31 seconds)
 https://youtu.be/9xjMndovCYU

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
Holy shit, man, the stills do not do that thing justice

Anonymous
Not applicable

P3nT4gR4m said:

Holy shit, man, the stills do not do that thing justice

Thanks man.  Video does a better job, except for going in close.  Haven't really figured out a smooth way to run the camera through it.   Too big to snapshot easily, or maybe I need to work on my camera skills more.  Ah well, such is life. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Working out how to do rocks and water.  The sculpt itself is still very much in progress.  Here's some crops of the areas I found to be most interesting in regards to water-like effects. 
qnb2hd2d8g34.jpg