cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Reach Oculus Runtime Services

apexmaster
Explorer
so i boot up my pc, click on icon to open oculus home, and got the message, cant reach oculus run time services. i gave it 15 wm20iu2ro2r4.jpgmin or so reboot try again and nothing. i have never seen this before?
382 REPLIES 382

MrKaru
Adventurer
I don't think the time there matters much. If a site forgets to update its certificate and goes down, you better believe people will be called in early to fix it. While this is a smaller issue, since websites have more traffic than a VR headset, it's still a relatively big problem since this is actual hardware that has been essentially bricked by their own negligence. 

I get that problems happen and it sucks for everybody, but until we know they're aware of the problem and working on a fix the only thing we, as users, can do is continue to post and complain to make sure they know ASAP. 

Aymito2
Expert Protege
help we need help here >>>>> SOO :#

Anonymous
Not applicable

pbutcher said:

EightBit5 said:

So what I'm seeing is this is purely Oculus, right? Nothing wrong on our part? I've had this error before and a re-install of the software solved it, just wanted to make sure this is purely an Oculus issue and nothing I did (when you pay $400 for something you really want to make sure it's not your fault it's not working).

Correct, this issue is out of our hands.

Thank you for the reassurance. Now just playing the (very boring) waiting game...

JonJonXD
Expert Protege
As someone who works in IT, you'd be surprised how often certificates go expired due to the lack of management around it. The Oculus Security Team will probably get smacked over the head for this one, since this one of the basic responsibilities of any security team, managing public certificates.

If this is the case, it really should be a quick fix. Renew the certificate and update the installer on the website. They probably won't be able to push it down to our PCs, given that the background processes Oculus runs are now deemed "unsafe". So I would expect a broadcast to our registered e-mails to go download the new installer with the certificate attached.

It's interesting to see, as this may be more of a Windows 10 requirement than anything else, since I've never heard of this from an application perspective.
PC Specs

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

Power Color Red Dragon RX 580 8GB

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

LG 29UM60-P Ultra Wide 2560x1080 Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

TorTorden
Protege

DTH said:

For those of you who would like to know the time in CA.  it is 7:37 am so they are waking up to a nightmare.  Unless there like me and my day starts at 3:30 am Pac. Time.

And to me it's now 16:50, you have no point, and oculus has no excuse.

Zapp_Legrand
Honored Guest
The clock tweak allows me to play, but no update on the software. A little more of official communication will be great although...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Storm_Cloud said:

There are companies a tiny fraction of 1% of the size of Facebook who provide 24 hour cover.
Defending them by saying it's not much past 8am is frankly ludicrous!

There are also a ton of companies as big as Facebook (or even bigger) that don't provide it. It's a shame, but 24/7 service is not something due. If your computer suddenly explodes at midnight, or if your car gets wrecked at 5 am, you'll have to wait for the day to begin (well, I guess that depends on the companies xD, but you see what I mean hopefully).

TorTorden
Protege

EightBit5 said:

So what I'm seeing is this is purely Oculus, right? Nothing wrong on our part? I've had this error before and a re-install of the software solved it, just wanted to make sure this is purely an Oculus issue and nothing I did (when you pay $400 for something you really want to make sure it's not your fault it's not working).

Indeed, I first thought this was from an earlier update that came down last night or something, but rather the lack of an update to a three year old certificate that has possibly been with us since the dev kits.

Rosgillies
Adventurer
@cybereality Where the hell are you to comment and give us some info? Always with the opinions for other things but now you`re nowhere to be seen. Oculus staff. Disgusting behaviour, no more no less. Shame on you.

TarikMerryface
Honored Guest
setting the clock back seems risky to me. I can think of a few pieces of software that work on subscriptions that will think that you're trying to scam them and cause all sorts of havoc