cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Reach Oculus Runtime Services

apexmaster
Explorer
so i boot up my pc, click on icon to open oculus home, and got the message, cant reach oculus run time services. i gave it 15 wm20iu2ro2r4.jpgmin or so reboot try again and nothing. i have never seen this before?
382 REPLIES 382

Anonymous
Not applicable

thats damm sure Gromclad vive would have the balls to say sorry guys where doing our best to fix it 

That's exactly what I'm saying. Shit happens and we get that(although it would still suck) but to not even tell your customers there is a problem is unreal.

xAstroBoy
Explorer

Gromclad said:

Not only did you guys screw up bigtime by letting a DLL cert expire, it's also been hours for many users unable to use their hardware with no official word from Oculus! Not even a "hey guys we are aware of the problem are working to fix it" Your customers are PISSED. Extremely unprofessional for such a large corporation with such a large user base. Enjoy that brief takeover of marketshare over Vive because people aren't going to forget this or the way you handled it.

Wildt said:

GrumpleStilskin
Explorer
I swear people here have selective sight to be missing all the obvious info here.

JoshBear
Honored Guest
Adding myself to this list of people having this error.  Wish I had come here first just wasted time doing a repair install!

samisnotinsane
Honored Guest
This kind of software breakage is really unacceptable coming from an apparently renouned company like Facebook. My thesis is in a deadlock because I can't work on my implementation due to this problem. Definitely agree with the others that an official response should've gone out. But thankfully I found this thread when I did before I wasted even more time. Expecting a fix to be pushed out ASAP Oculus!

lag0matic
Heroic Explorer
Damn, 
People get ANGRY when they cant play their video games for a few hours.  Seriously, calm down, take a few breaths. Go hug your dog.  Its an expired cert, not the end of life as we know it. Go play another game, watch tv, read a book, or take a drive.  In a few hours, all will be well, and we can all get back to "showing da wey" in vr chat or whatever it is we do.

janostanek
Honored Guest
at me the same problem 😞   when can you solve this problem? tomorrow? the day after tomorrow? at least approximate time ??? Thank you   :#

LZoltowski
Champion
Official response: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/62715/oculus-runtime-services-current-status#latest
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

GrumpleStilskin
Explorer

lag0matic said:

Damn, 
People get ANGRY when they cant play their video games for a few hours.  Seriously, calm down, take a few breaths. Go hug your dog.  Its an expired cert, not the end of life as we know it. Go play another game, watch tv, read a book, or take a drive.  In a few hours, all will be well, and we can all get back to "showing da wey" in vr chat or whatever it is we do.

Hi. My brother gets maybe one day off a month, at best, due to a lot of reasons. He's usually so busy that his schedule is Sleep, Work, Sleep, Work. Today, right when the cert expired, was his time off. He now has barely any time left, mostly due to trying to figure out what the problem is. Everything may be all and well in a few hours, but it's another month before he can do anything more than dabble for fifteen minutes.

But thanks for being an entitled ass about it! It sure is nice how you just believe everyone has the exact same situation as you! Guess he has no right to be angry, huh? But hey, you got a nice ego wank by being the big voice of reason and telling everyone to calm down, so it's worth it, yeah?

Mace404
Heroic Explorer

Bluecheez said:

rupert said:

If the Runtime Service won't start, how is it going to download the fix?

Lol, good question 😕

I guess the simple solution is a 200kb download to patch the expired certificate ! 

It's not that easy. Each component (dll, executable) is signed with a code signing certificate.
Every file needs to be replaced with a version signed with a valid one.
This means that the whole installation (the support folder) needs to be replaced .

Re-signing at the client's end (aka the patch you mention) makes the whole chain of trust obsolete.
(since you need the private key to sign, and you don't want anyone to have that)