cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Reach Oculus Runtime Services

apexmaster
Explorer
so i boot up my pc, click on icon to open oculus home, and got the message, cant reach oculus run time services. i gave it 15 wm20iu2ro2r4.jpgmin or so reboot try again and nothing. i have never seen this before?
382 REPLIES 382

Horrent_Gamer
Honored Guest
this is really terrible .... we basically dont even own the device anymore because we rely on server sided certificates to be able to get on and enjoy our purchase 

Bluecheez
Explorer

Mace404 said:

Bluecheez said:

rupert said:

If the Runtime Service won't start, how is it going to download the fix?

Lol, good question 😕

I guess the simple solution is a 200kb download to patch the expired certificate ! 

It's not that easy. Each component (dll, executable) is signed with a code signing certificate.
Every file needs to be replaced with a version signed with a valid one.
This means that the whole installation (the support folder) needs to be replaced with a new one.

Re-signing at the client's end (aka the patch you mention) makes the whole chain of trust obsolete.

Hopefully the patch will be few files not the 5 GB installer. I already download 15 GB on oculus server this morning !

Can't wait to receive my internet provider's invoice !  

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star
You serious gamers have no excuse now to not get a shower and maybe go look at the sun!
I kid, I kid

Lolzdude64
Explorer
DO NOT CHANGE YOUR COMPUTER'S TIME!!!  In the oculus reddit a person said to specifically not mess with it or else it would just make more problems. 
Original Post:

DON'T fuck with your system clock, especially if you run Windows 10, or have any types of authentication applications (pace,duolock,ilok) whatever, you can fuck up your software installations because it will look like you're tampering with them.

Wait for a official announcement and fix from Oculus, they need to fix this fuckup pronto, but don't give yourself MORE headaches by messing with the system time.

If Oculus does this the way they should, you should get an email or they will post an official announcement of getting a patch.

All the patch will do is remove the expired cert for their application, add an updated trusted CA with an extension date. You'll restart your system, boom the issue the fixed.

I want you to inundate Oculus with anger about this issue. It should not have happened, because that's a big deal to have a cert expire that's installed locally and can't be fixed because the software that would update and fix the cert, doesn't work.

FlyingDoodle
Explorer

Aliantha said:

You serious gamers have no excuse now to not get a shower and maybe go look at the sun!
I kid, I kid

It's only been 1 month without a shower so I still have weeks to go before taking one. Thanks for the advice (i'm kidding)

Cool3rking
Explorer
Two weeks in...first post...it doesn't work! 😄 😮 😕 😞

bigmike20vt
Visionary

lag0matic said:

Damn, 
People get ANGRY when they cant play their video games for a few hours.  Seriously, calm down, take a few breaths. Go hug your dog.  Its an expired cert, not the end of life as we know it. Go play another game, watch tv, read a book, or take a drive.  In a few hours, all will be well, and we can all get back to "showing da wey" in vr chat or whatever it is we do.

Hi. My brother gets maybe one day off a month, at best, due to a lot of reasons. He's usually so busy that his schedule is Sleep, Work, Sleep, Work. Today, right when the cert expired, was his time off. He now has barely any time left, mostly due to trying to figure out what the problem is. Everything may be all and well in a few hours, but it's another month before he can do anything more than dabble for fifteen minutes.

But thanks for being an entitled ass about it! It sure is nice how you just believe everyone has the exact same situation as you! Guess he has no right to be angry, huh? But hey, you got a nice ego wank by being the big voice of reason and telling everyone to calm down, so it's worth it, yeah?

except some people have literally said they want people fired over this..... so yes it sucks for your bro, but minor inconvenience for your brother missing a vr gaming session and having to flat screen it, vs calls for a person to lose their entire livelyhood.....  I am more in the "get some perspective camp"

if it is still down in 24 hrs i may see your point, but for now, its just unfortunate timing on his part.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

tbsnc99
Honored Guest
I would not mind but it was all working this morning , Then boom another oculus problem. spent 3 hour installing fixing stuff before i gave up. the official statement came out way too late again, come on GUYS 

GrumpleStilskin
Explorer

lag0matic said:

Damn, 
People get ANGRY when they cant play their video games for a few hours.  Seriously, calm down, take a few breaths. Go hug your dog.  Its an expired cert, not the end of life as we know it. Go play another game, watch tv, read a book, or take a drive.  In a few hours, all will be well, and we can all get back to "showing da wey" in vr chat or whatever it is we do.

Hi. My brother gets maybe one day off a month, at best, due to a lot of reasons. He's usually so busy that his schedule is Sleep, Work, Sleep, Work. Today, right when the cert expired, was his time off. He now has barely any time left, mostly due to trying to figure out what the problem is. Everything may be all and well in a few hours, but it's another month before he can do anything more than dabble for fifteen minutes.

But thanks for being an entitled ass about it! It sure is nice how you just believe everyone has the exact same situation as you! Guess he has no right to be angry, huh? But hey, you got a nice ego wank by being the big voice of reason and telling everyone to calm down, so it's worth it, yeah?

except some people have literally said they want people fired over this..... so yes it sucks for your bro, but minor inconvenience for your brother missing a vr gaming session and having to flat screen it, vs calls for a person to lose their entire livelyhood.....  I am more in the "get some perspective camp"

if it is still down in 24 hrs i may see your point, but for now, its just unfortunate timing on his part.

Neither of us (my brother and I) want people FIRED over this, we just don't appreciate people telling us it's wrong to be angry. We have every right to get angry, we just don't need to become a lynch mob about it.

Also, he didn't get any gaming session. His session was spent trying to figure out what was wrong with our Rift.

PapaCraig
Explorer
This is typical of Oculus.... They take your money and shove disappointment up your ass.  I've gone through two headsets.  First time audio failed and getting black outs...  They replaced but only gave a 90 day guarantee on the replacement.  Guess what... shortly after the 90 days audio failed again, also blackouts.  Replaced the HDMI cable at my own expense because the sent my new headset with a crinkled cable.  I  rate their quality control a lot lower than whale shit...you can't get any lower than the bottom of the ocean.  I have regretted my purchase for a long time now, which is really shame because I am 64 years old and thought I found a great past time in my retirement (never gamed  before VR) but, after dealing with Oculus support over the past year it is starting to turn me off on VR.  They wan t their customers to do all the work for them.  Do this, do that, take a picture, send logs,  bend over so we can shove it in deeper!!!!   Great Job Oculus!!!!   NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!