New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

Comments

• dilbert01-BEdilbert01-BE Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    indeed...

• ChrisTheMachineChrisTheMachine Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    dburne said:
    I would much rather they spent time working on this fix to get it out asap, rather than in this forum answering all the questions.

But that is just me...
    If I was you, I would contact Oculus to make them hire you and then you'll be the guy that just saved the world from the no VR today's cancer
  • lag0maticlag0matic Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    Always-on "DRM" is going to be an issue for the forseeable future.  Steam, Origin, Oculus, Sony, Microsoft.. they all have some sort of DRM that requires an internet connection to play.  On top of that, even if you could launch some of the games from the launchers without internet, many of the games contact a central server for that particular game.  

Personally, I am not a fan of this method of DRM - If Valve were to close up shop tomorrow, there's nothing stopping them from taking our entire steam libraries with them! Its just part of living in this new age of internet, I suppose. 
  • VR-OCALAVR-OCALA Posts: 481
    Trinity
    grayhaze said:
    They'll fix the problem. Just have patience. Go play a board game or one of the other 200 games you have on Steam. There are more important things in life and this isn't the end of the world.

Yeah, Fallout 4 isn't supported by Oculus so it can't be the end of the world.
  • duerrsduerrs Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I was hoping to also do some iracing today since its snowing like hell in NJ today and i did not go to work.....i guess i will just go play with the box the kids came in......lol
  • WiLLuMPJuHWiLLuMPJuH Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    edited March 2018
    kRAyZZed said:

I do apologies if i come across as overly negative - I love my Rift thus far, I just have issue with how this has been dealt with and how it was allowed to occur.
    Just to let you know where, for example, I am coming from as a Rift-user.

Purchased a Rift. Rift rendered faulty within a year. Hardware defect. Before I find out by logs about this hardware issue, I blamed my software configuration all the time and kept changing it until the edge if incomprehensibility ( no setting made any sense anymore ).

Contacted support. Had a large discussion about warranty and guarantee. Was infuriated. Reseller came to my aid as well.

Oculus apparantly took notice. I was shortly satisfied thereafter and still am a happy Rift user ever since. 

As stated by others already : this issue is indeed minor in solution, yet, of course, major by impact

Just wait. You will start to love your Rift again too. ;)
    Hiro Protagonist
    A friend indeed is a friend in need. Oculus isn't my friend, so can't help. :/
  • UntoldForceUntoldForce Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I bought the Rift from Amazon on Monday and it just came in today. I tried to set it up and nothing is working. Is this the cause of my problems? Should I return the unit to Amazon?
  • Danjo1712Danjo1712 Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Where are Razor1911, Skidrow, Paradox, Reloaded and friends? They would do that little fix within a few minutes...
  • iFleaiFlea Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    It's customary in this type of situations to keep community updated. 3 hours without update is not acceptable. love rift more than my vive and i consider my self "team rift" but this silence tells me company has zero clue how to handle gaming community needs / expectations. Anyone having spent any time in any gaming community knows how impatient and not tolerant such community is and if that community is your customer you have to adhere to that community expectations. Frequent updates are essential. Oculus team is either dumb / ignorant / uncaring about community / unprepared or more, in any case it doesn't give any good hopes for future and I am moving over to "tam vive" permanently. When your hardware costs hundreds and you are part of huge, well funded company you have no excuse for an idiotic mistake like not noticing error in your software certificates and what is even worse, not knowing how to keep community / customer base informed / reassured and supported. Not acceptable. This day will not go away anytime soon. I can already see memes coming I am sure others can too. 

UPDATE US YOU DUMB LAZY MORONS

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Maan this thread is giving my email notifications a workout heh. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    I would much rather they spent time working on this fix to get it out asap, rather than in this forum answering all the questions.

But that is just me...
    If I was you, I would contact Oculus to make them hire you and then you'll be the guy that just saved the world from the no VR today's cancer

No they should hire me, I'd happily be the Oculus White House press secretary :-)
    Hiro Protagonist
    I bought the Rift from Amazon on Monday and it just came in today. I tried to set it up and nothing is working. Is this the cause of my problems? Should I return the unit to Amazon?
    no, it's only because oculus didn't renew their certificates so the thing is that nobody can open oculus without getting the runtime error
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    The difference between ameteur and professional is how you deal with your mistakes.

Your not looking overly professional over this oculus :/
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
    Art3mis
    Nothing wrong with your hardware, this is all software! Don't return anything, just hang in there!

• bobby.bixby.9bobby.bixby.9 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    yeah not happy here   spent a ton of money on this system and the 50+ games I have bought only to be told to uninstall and reinstall now still nothing and the customer service is terrible... I have lost all games and have to redownload and restart every game     guess its time to invest in a vive   this is the worst cust service I have yet to experience

Trinity

Today I learned to turn off email notifications!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,711 Valuable Player

Yes most likely, no one's Rift is currently operating.  Hopefully they will get this resolved soon.

Have had my Rift since Jan 2017, first time I have seen an event like this - and hopefully will be the last time when they get it sorted.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • duerrsduerrs Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Danjo1712 said:
    Where are Razor1911, Skidrow, Paradox, Reloaded and friends? They would do that little fix within a few minutes...
    I knew all those back in the 80's and 90's also......god i miss those days..all you had to buy were blank discs...lol
  • BdeadBdead Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This is why always online DRM sucks. 
  • Grunt121Grunt121 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Go team Oculus! You guys got this!  ;)

SUMMON CARMACK! HIS BEAUTIFUL BRAIN WILL TELEPATHICALLY FIX IT. 
    Trinity

No, it's a licensing error, your Rift is most likely fine.  This is an aberration, the system is almost always 24/7 up and running.  Just bad timing.
  • dilbert01-BEdilbert01-BE Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    no luck man!  wait and see ... they work on it ... 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Aliantha said:

Unfortunately I have to keep them on to keep an eye on you people :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • JaxxehJaxxeh Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    It most likely is, yes. None of us can use our Rifts.
    Once they fix this, you'll be able to normally enjoy this fine piece of hardware like the rest of us, and you'll love it.
  • ElpocElpoc Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Where on earth is Oculus's comms on this issue. Why is no-one giving updates... and why did it take so long for them to post a recognition of the issue publicly anyway??
  • cap-18-2-2017cap-18-2-2017 Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    lag0matic said:
    Always-on "DRM" is going to be an issue for the forseeable future.  Steam, Origin, Oculus, Sony, Microsoft.. they all have some sort of DRM that requires an internet connection to play.  On top of that, even if you could launch some of the games from the launchers without internet, many of the games contact a central server for that particular game.  

Personally, I am not a fan of this method of DRM - If Valve were to close up shop tomorrow, there's nothing stopping them from taking our entire steam libraries with them! Its just part of living in this new age of internet, I suppose. 
    No steam you can play in offline mode so if you dont have internet you can still play games that dont need internet
  • EAF_RibbonEAF_Ribbon Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    Aliantha said:
    You've just lost one customer!
    First green dots screen, than unabbility to download anything from store even you taken the money (oculus app problem) than this.
    I can't even run game that isn't from oculus store.
    One would say pioneers of VR would have stable support but this is a joke.
    Do you even test your updates before release?
    Why don't you roll back old update, do you have any backup?
    Seems my next VR gear will be Vive!

You could justifiably go that route and could have equally bad luck with a Vive update or error.  If you take a few deep breaths and ride it out I think you will be pleased.
    You could take a few deep breaths out of the forum, are you their PR?
    I have plenty to do IRL to not to be upset about this.
    As i stated i had plenty of bad experience with this product to say what i said and let them become aware of bad support.
    And yes huge asteroid could hit earth, but hey it still didn't happen!
    Art3mis
    Aliantha said:

Unfortunately I have to keep them on to keep an eye on you people :)
    Hey hey! Who you calling "you people!" Did you just assume my species!? I'll have you know, I identify as a steam locomotive, and my pronouns are choo, and chug!

Trinity
    yeah not happy here   spent a ton of money on this system and the 50+ games I have bought only to be told to uninstall and reinstall now still nothing and the customer service is terrible... I have lost all games and have to redownload and restart every game     guess its time to invest in a vive   this is the worst cust service I have yet to experience

who told you to uninstall?