cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

Bdead
Honored Guest
This is why always online DRM sucks. 

Grunt121
Honored Guest
Go team Oculus! You guys got this!  😉

SUMMON CARMACK! HIS BEAUTIFUL BRAIN WILL TELEPATHICALLY FIX IT. 

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

I bought the Rift from Amazon on Monday and it just came in today. I tried to set it up and nothing is working. Is this the cause of my problems? Should I return the unit to Amazon?

No, it's a licensing error, your Rift is most likely fine.  This is an aberration, the system is almost always 24/7 up and running.  Just bad timing.

dilbert01-BE
Explorer

I bought the Rift from Amazon on Monday and it just came in today. I tried to set it up and nothing is working. Is this the cause of my problems? Should I return the unit to Amazon?

no luck man!  wait and see ... they work on it ... 

LZoltowski
Champion

Aliantha said:

Maan this thread is giving my email notifications a workout heh. 

Today I learned to turn off email notifications!

Unfortunately I have to keep them on to keep an eye on you people 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Jaxxeh
Explorer

It most likely is, yes. None of us can use our Rifts.
Once they fix this, you'll be able to normally enjoy this fine piece of hardware like the rest of us, and you'll love it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Where on earth is Oculus's comms on this issue. Why is no-one giving updates... and why did it take so long for them to post a recognition of the issue publicly anyway??

cap-18-2-2017
Explorer

lag0matic said:

Always-on "DRM" is going to be an issue for the forseeable future.  Steam, Origin, Oculus, Sony, Microsoft.. they all have some sort of DRM that requires an internet connection to play.  On top of that, even if you could launch some of the games from the launchers without internet, many of the games contact a central server for that particular game.  

Personally, I am not a fan of this method of DRM - If Valve were to close up shop tomorrow, there's nothing stopping them from taking our entire steam libraries with them! Its just part of living in this new age of internet, I suppose. 

No steam you can play in offline mode so if you dont have internet you can still play games that dont need internet

EAF_Ribbon
Protege

Aliantha said:

You've just lost one customer!
First green dots screen, than unabbility to download anything from store even you taken the money (oculus app problem) than this.
I can't even run game that isn't from oculus store.
One would say pioneers of VR would have stable support but this is a joke.
Do you even test your updates before release?
Why don't you roll back old update, do you have any backup?
Seems my next VR gear will be Vive!

You could justifiably go that route and could have equally bad luck with a Vive update or error.  If you take a few deep breaths and ride it out I think you will be pleased.

You could take a few deep breaths out of the forum, are you their PR?
I have plenty to do IRL to not to be upset about this.
As i stated i had plenty of bad experience with this product to say what i said and let them become aware of bad support.
And yes huge asteroid could hit earth, but hey it still didn't happen!

lag0matic
Heroic Explorer

Aliantha said:

Maan this thread is giving my email notifications a workout heh. 

Today I learned to turn off email notifications!

Unfortunately I have to keep them on to keep an eye on you people 🙂

Hey hey! Who you calling "you people!" Did you just assume my species!? I'll have you know, I identify as a steam locomotive, and my pronouns are choo, and chug!

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?