cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer

Aliantha said:

Aliantha said:

.  I.... am enjoying the community so I don't know exactly what I "lost" that I deserve something for free for.

I know what I won : getting to know you :wink:

Sweetest post ever ❤️

You're welcome :smile:

How can someone be as funny, smart and wise ?
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

Anonymous
Not applicable

With all the employees and money they have , how in the hell is there not a new security certificate yet? Oculus has been down for 21 hours in New Zealand. SMH

You dont know what the issue is. You dont know if a certificiate expired is causing the issue or if a server went down because someone tripped on a powercord. Stuff like that happens

Actually we do know. People went in to it and found that the Cert expired today. Fairly technical IT people dug in to the program to figure it out.

SaturnsVoid
Protege
How does a company as big as this not know when there certs are due!? This is just dumb.

werelamb
Protege

Aliantha said:

Hollish said:

As a security professional and Oculus owner, I understand the sheer incompetence, negligence and ignorance that was involved in this issue. Clearly you guys can't be trusted with anything PKI, and need someone to explain to you how this works, and how you organize yourself. You've just DoS'ed all your customers through incompetence and negligence.

Unbelievable...

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/82nuzi/cant_reach_oculus_runtime_service/dvbx8g8/

I am not as understanding as that post. I am not saying someone should be fired, but clearly they don't have the appropriate processes to keep certs updated. Clearly nobody thought of this, and no internal alerts were ever triggered. 

I think I will withhold judgment until it happens a second time.  I made a recipe and accidently left out an ingredient and it ruined the dish... I knew what I needed but it was an oversight, I screwed up.  I have not repeated the error because I learned from it.  Anyone can screw up.  I would just like this fixed like everyone else.  Now if it happens again, that would be a bit less understandable.  When I'm perfect I'll sit in harsher judgment of people.

The issue here is not the mistake itself but the failure to acknowledge it for almost 24 hrs and the failure to fix a relatively easy issue within that time....I understand that with the auto update not working it may be a longer time to work on a fix but there's nothing stopping them from adding a manual update/reinstall link for oculus app with the new certs on their website and maybe issuing a statement that for those who don't want to reinstall it may take longer?

Candriu
Explorer

Hollish said:

I'm sure you'd run into issues with the other systems too. They've acknowledged the issue and are working on it. I get that it's annoying but saying you shouldn't have bought a rift because now it's not working is like saying you shouldn't have bought a specific car because it had to be fixed once.

Most likely, the other systems have their fair share of issues but Oculus has went all in on the walled garden approach and now something as basic as keeping a dll cert updated completely bricked almost every Oculus out there.       
The analogy doesn't really work, the Rift hardware is fine, it's the software that's the major issue. I quite like the headset hardware, but all of my issues thus far have been software related and I'm just done. 

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

With all the employees and money they have , how in the hell is there not a new security certificate yet? Oculus has been down for 21 hours in New Zealand. SMH

You dont know what the issue is. You dont know if a certificiate expired is causing the issue or if a server went down because someone tripped on a powercord. Stuff like that happens

I had a teacher who said that school was a perfect example of life.  He said that when people deal with others they expect an A+ but when other people deal with them they should be willing to accept a C-.  We expect others to be perfect but forget how often we are not.

I think if this was a critical process like the nuclear attack alert screw up in Hawaii that is a little less forgivable than something like this that isn't exactly life or death or, hopefully not, sending anyone running for their life.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Wait, what did I miss out on ?

Great to see so many new forum users who have been hiding under the rocks with their hmd strapped on having fun 🙂

Be good, die great !

stereolife
Honored Guest
its fucking ridiculous... You just need resign this fucking dll and give it to us.
This can not take SO MUCH FUCKING TIME!

duerrs
Protege
I kind of agree.  A statement should have been made right away...some people thought it was a problem on the user end and reinstalled everything....thank god i was not one of those....lol

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

Aliantha said:

floyd247 said:

Well as some else said i hope you give a free game this should be the case we all paid a lot of money for are oculus and to turn you computer on and not able to play what you wanted is not good and you knew there was a problem as the problem stared yesterday think we all deserve o free game for are troubles

I don't see how we're entitled to anything for free.  If they do decide to do something that would be great but I have been playing enough online games and bought enough tech devices and cars and electronics and such to know nothing works 100% of the time.  The only people I really feel "sorry" for are those who need their Oculus hardware for work where this is costing them money.  I have other games to play and am enjoying the community so I don't know exactly what I "lost" that I deserve something for free for.

I get it, you don't want a game, maybe you are not entitled to [...] I am entitled, I want one, I deserve it.

lol you might not have meant that to be funny, but I laughed
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?