cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

AndTrax said:

Aliantha said:

Is this shit fixed yet or no?

When it's fixed, you'll know, there will be zero forum activity
Lol, As well, I thought you started a whiners thread early on...do people read?

nope!  I tried!

Etsija
Explorer
My philosophy of life is to try hard to find something positive from all crap.  So a positive side of this incident is surely a big boost in forum activity!  I wouldn't even have made my way over here if this wouldn't have happened.

dragondv68
Explorer
ROLLED BACK  MY DATE COUPLE DAYS AND ITS WORKING FOR NOW..... 

onemoreblue
Explorer

Hollish said:

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

AndTrax said:

Refresh for awaited update....

count hours, look at monitor with disappointment and than notice the nick of "staff" who said they will post more updates as they have them... ShowbizDonkey... wait... that may explain everything. 

I think the problem is that because we want to play (or some of us want to work) we just assume the fix is like changing a battery.  Stuff like this hurts their sales so I am relatively sure they are working very hard at getting everything fixed and will do so as expediently as possible.  I see no possible upside to them intentionally taking longer than needed.

Exactly this. Getting a new certificate issued, and possibly building a patch tool (since the software can't run to the point where it would update) is not a one hour task. I highly doubt they're taking this issue lightly considering Nate Mitchell's twitter even acknowledges the issue.

depending on the cert type it "can" be hours, some take days 

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star
Ok off to get some food, y'all behave now, hopefully there's only crickets when I get back.  Much love ❤️

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer

Is it even possible we will be able to play today

"today" is almost over for me (10pm here), so my answer is "probably no"
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

Anonymous
Not applicable

iFlea said:

Aliantha said:

iFlea said:

AndTrax said:

Refresh for awaited update....

count hours, look at monitor with disappointment and than notice the nick of "staff" who said they will post more updates as they have them... ShowbizDonkey... wait... that may explain everything. 

I think the problem is that because we want to play (or some of us want to work) we just assume the fix is like changing a battery.  Stuff like this hurts their sales so I am relatively sure they are working very hard at getting everything fixed and will do so as expediently as possible.  I see no possible upside to them intentionally taking longer than needed.

I understand and I agree with what you are saying. But without THEM posting an update to millions all around the world reassuring us that that is in fact the case, some (or as this post would indicate : most) members of community get annoyed and restless. It is only normal to know your customer base and it's expectations / needs. Gaming communities + technical problems = need for frequent updates. That's all. They can work hard and fix it for next two days i am FINE with that as long as I hear from them "it may take 24 hours" ... "we are not sure yet how long it will take we know you have been waiting for HOURS we apologise" etc I'm sure you understand what I mean. And how the hell can they not know that this will explode and create account on forum "ShowbizDonkey" to post an "official" update. I find it unprofessional and insulting. This post is the only official word that the world has heard from the Oculus and the word comes from ShowbizDonkey? Really? nice... reassuring... I don't enjoy being treated this way as a customer, hence I am angry 🙂 Not because I can't play on my one of two days off I have this week, but because I feel I am treated like this "we got your money already so shut it and wait we will deal with it when we will". 

Your anger is unwarranted. They already recognized there is an issue. Sometimes companies dont know that there is an issue with the software/update until they release it to the public. Sometimes things get past the internal testing. You need to calm your angry mammaries down and think for a second. People like you make tech support agents hate their job. "Oh the company should do this, oh the company should do this" blah blah blah! Your not important! We are all in the same boat as you! Including some of the people that work for the company that OWN THE OCULUS AND PLAY ON IT THEMSELVES! Let them do their job! They already know how pissed you are! Quit trying to make them realize it! They already know!

WiLLuMPJuH
Adventurer
@MacHaggis : Undetermined. Might take days. Even weeks. 

Apparantly until some hen hatches a black chicken to sacrifice at the next voodoo-session of the technical staff @ Oculus.

And they're probably out of rum too.

Greyman
Superstar

Greyman said:

its fucking ridiculous... You just need resign this fucking dll and give it to us.
This can not take SO MUCH FUCKING TIME!

and the global maturity score drops even lower

I am rubber, you are glue, whatever you say, bounces off me, and sticks to you!

it's  reaching an all-time low now

edit:  oh and welcome to the forum by the way 🙂

Br0kendish
Explorer
Wow wished I had checked here earlier. I uninstalled everything and started from scratch and it still don't work. I hope I don't have to reinstall my games. I love my rift and all, but it looks like these kind of issues shouldn't be happening at this point.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?