cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

MariusPolonius
Heroic Explorer

Holy, the entitlement in this thread. 

Mistakes happen, they're working on a fix, suck it up and deal with it. 

Use your computer and do something else.

ABSOLUTELY NOT (sucking up and forgiveness). Oculus is here for me and not the other way around. This issue affected LITERALLY 100's of thousands of people! It's inexcusable!! 
FREE GAME FOR ALL as mea culpa Oculus bitches!  

ApexVGear
Explorer
https://youtu.be/Cy1SyXuWBt8

I'm waiting patiently, but almost a day of a "blackout" is getting ridiculous. Sorry to all you new Rift owners. When everything's back up, it is an awesome piece of technology.

I am a little miffed because iRacing and Project CARS 2 just released new cars, and I want to check them out in VR, and I just finished building my new mega-gaming system with a 1080 Ti. I did get to try out VR for a week on it--AMAZING, and Battlezone was on sale a few days ago, even MORE AMAZING in VR.

Good thing it was a BEAUTIFUL DAY, and I went to the park for some great drone video of the city as everything is turning green for spring! I was expecting it to be back up by the time I returned to my office--very surprised we're all still waiting on them to get it sorted.

DarkyShadoW
Honored Guest

hymanator said:

The even more scary thing is the faulty update is STILL being distributed on the Oculus app.

Theres no such thing, that expired certs didnt came on any update

Richooal
Consultant
Is it true that Palmer was in charge of certificate renewal?
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

iJudgement
Heroic Explorer

Holy, the entitlement in this thread. 

Mistakes happen, they're working on a fix, suck it up and deal with it. 

Use your computer and do something else.

What should we do???
Work, non vr games?
SUXX at 3 in the morning....

do whatever you can do on the computer.

Anonymous
Not applicable

shadywack said:

That this happened is such a stupendous incompetence it'll go down in the annals of gaming history for all time. It seriously draws into question Oculus' competence and stewardship of our information, their software and the danger it poses on our systems, and any information you've given them to be exploited.

Seriously - they are an arm of a massive company, all it takes is one person quitting a department for things to get missed and go into upheaval. I have seen it happen in various companies I have worked for - like I said earlier, shit happens.

Will this go down in the annals of gaming history - maybe, I kind of feel this is more of a blip. Quite a bit less of a screwup than that the 2011 Playstation network hack was - and honestly, how often do you ever find yourself thinking about that.

ShadownetZero
Honored Guest

hymanator said:

The even more scary thing is the faulty update is STILL being distributed on the Oculus app.

Nothing to do with any update, it's a certificate issue. They cant just replace that willy-nilly. They probably need to compile a whole new setup with the right certs. Do you want a fast band-aid that might not work for all, or for them to work on something that will fix it for everyone?

The smart thing to do is a quick fix that will take care of the most people (i.e. distribute the cert it sounds like they have via their site/these forums) and work on a broader solution (i.e. figuring out how best to distribute).

Workarounds are like tech support 101.

Damo9000
Explorer
9qkckmv7d838.jpg

lucentDeath
Explorer

p4p3rm4t3 said:

"...the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now..."

Uh you mean the OPTION. Uninstall and re-download.

Thats kinda funny to because half us probly have problems reinstalling the software after we uninstall it I know i did

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

I got my Oculus Rift today, and get home to this

Don't let the epic panic on here scare you.  This has not happened before, it isn't a fatal error.  This is nothing but an inconvenience and way overblown.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?