Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status - Page 50 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

Comments

• Dantai87Dantai87 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Dantai87 said:
    What is probably happening, is that they have the cert, and have a way to get it to us, aka they could just push out the install file again, but they are probably building a new backdoor service so this wont happen again. That way "if" this does happen again, the service will still be up and running and they can just push it through the app next time.
    they can do that later
    right now they need the app up
    Yeah but they know people are already upset, so they are probably going to take the time so that while their entire user base is down, they can guarantee that everyone downloads the new updated app. 

That being said, I was lucky enough to not have work due to the snow today, and then had no vr all day... would of rather been working.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,105 Valuable Player
    Bahamut88 said:
    I'm guessing the end solution will be to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing, complete with shiny new driver signage and hopefully some much needed hole patching so that this doesn't happen again.

Actually... now that I see that changing the system clock works, we can probably all do that in order to let the program download the latest update.

We'll probably be instructed to set out clocks to a specific Day and Time, launch OH, and let the Installer run.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • christopher_phelpschristopher_phelps Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Currently Reinstalling Right now to see if it changes anything

• andy0189andy0189 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    GeekyGami said:
    andy0189 said:
    Bahamut88 said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:
    This would get fixed a lot faster if they just provided a DL for a new certificate so we can renew it ourselves, it's not hard. Instead we're at their mercy.

Have you read the posts of some of these folks? It would not just be hard, it would be astronomically improbable for some. Half of them would try printing out the Certificate, Framing it, and wondering why the Rift doesn't see it.
    I get the joke and all, but not everyone is as tech savvy as others. Oculus is just looking for a more elegant and streamlined solution, which will be interesting to see since the software can't run as it is, hopefully it won't require a re-set up of the whole suite.
    I’m not a software programmer just a tech enthusiast but I can only imagine a new setup.exe is in the works. Make everyone uninstall then reinstall with the new setup file? Just my thoughts 
    Just the thought of downloading installation for another 2 hours after fix is out
    *Shivers*
    2 hours! Lol everyone trying to download at the same time try like 30 hours lol
  • 1amRambo1amRambo Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    This shouldn't take so long to fix. If its a simple certificate block all you need to do is access the code of the software update it and push it out as a update patch. This is unacceptable to let happen with a company position. This is poor support and pour business. This stuff is unacceptable in any field 
  • DeviliveD666DeviliveD666 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:
    I'm guessing the end solution will be to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing, complete with shiny new driver signage and hopefully some much needed hole patching so that this doesn't happen again.

Actually... now that I see that changing the system clock works, we can probably all do that in order to let the program download the latest update.

We'll probably be instructed to set out clocks to a specific Day and Time, launch OH, and let the Installer run.
    Would be a solution... that was doable when update 2 was announced....
  • Ares_The_MadmanAres_The_Madman Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    I think everyone needs to calm down! It will be ok! Be thankful we even have VR at all. Jeez people on here acting like it’s the end of the world. I promise you life will continue on!
    When you pay as much as you do for everything, it gets annoying. But when Oculus' ENTIRE clientele is left in the dark as to how to fix it? Thats when everyone gets pissed. Especially over something this stupid.
    I understand that I payed just as much you did for it but unfortunately we are at the hands of the company. Look they know they messed up and I’m sure they will find a way to make it right for all of us so in the mean time sit back relax and enjoy another form of technology. 
    At this point it's not even about playing on Rift (at least for me). It's been how long? All i want is an ETA, but every single one of their "updates" have been "We're working on it". When every single one of your products that you've sold (which is a shit-ton) does not work, and you cannot provide any form of reassurance, you have an awful company.
    Well you see, either Oculus could spend their time trying to explain the step by step process of how to fix the problem to people who most likely wouldn't even understand what they're even talking about, or they could spend their time actually fixing it. These updates are to let everyone know that they are still working on the issue. They know more about their own product and company, and how to fix these issues, than almost everyone on here. This is clearly an issue that takes time to resolve, and unfortunately, as much as everyone would love to believe, it takes more than just a click of a button. Especially when, as you stated, "every single one of their products that they've sold does not work.
  • Bahamut88Bahamut88 Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Or prob a simple installer that patches the exe with the correct certifcation, thats how I would do it anyway.
    1amRambo said:
    This stuff is unacceptable in any field 

Unacceptable... yet so common. Like car accidents.
  • charlton_3393charlton_3393 Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Remember that we can still run the installer program without changing the clock, that is what its there for, once you hit the "Repair" button it will do what the Oculus app does in the background -> look for the most up to date release of the runtime then download and install <-

It is basically a workaround if your Oculus client fails to boot after an update and then they release a new update to fix it and you need to force that installation.
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
    - ASRock H87 Performance Motherboard
    - Intel Core I7 4770 @ 3.40GHz Haswell Processor
    - Reference Radeon RX 480 GPU
    - 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 RAM
    Brain Burst
    Bahamut88 said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Or prob a simple installer that patches the exe with the correct certifcation, thats how I would do it anyway.
    Sure that would be usable by anyone (knowing the installer) and would not require a huge download...
  • anonieanonie Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    andy0189 said:
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    I think everyone needs to calm down! It will be ok! Be thankful we even have VR at all. Jeez people on here acting like it’s the end of the world. I promise you life will continue on!
    When you pay as much as you do for everything, it gets annoying. But when Oculus' ENTIRE clientele is left in the dark as to how to fix it? Thats when everyone gets pissed. Especially over something this stupid.
    I understand that I payed just as much you did for it but unfortunately we are at the hands of the company. Look they know they messed up and I’m sure they will find a way to make it right for all of us so in the mean time sit back relax and enjoy another form of technology. 
    At this point it's not even about playing on Rift (at least for me). It's been how long? All i want is an ETA, but every single one of their "updates" have been "We're working on it". When every single one of your products that you've sold (which is a shit-ton) does not work, and you cannot provide any form of reassurance, you have an awful company.
    You aren’t wrong but I’m just saying we can’t really change anything. I just think some people are taking it way to far on how much this is impacting their life. Like I said before the whole world knows the fucked up at this point and that their communications suck but nothing we can do..... so why not just sit back and relax and focus on something else right? 
    i cleared two days just for this there is nothing else for me .
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Remember that we can still run the installer program without changing the clock, that is what its there for, once you hit the "Repair" button it will do what the Oculus app does in the background -> look for the most up to date release of the runtime then download and install <-

It is basically a workaround if your Oculus client fails to boot after an update and then they release a new update to fix it and you need to force that installation.
    For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about

Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
  • iJudgementiJudgement Posts: 181
    Art3mis
    anonie said:
    andy0189 said:
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    You aren’t wrong but I’m just saying we can’t really change anything. I just think some people are taking it way to far on how much this is impacting their life. Like I said before the whole world knows the fucked up at this point and that their communications suck but nothing we can do..... so why not just sit back and relax and focus on something else right? 
    i cleared two days just for this there is nothing else for me .
    go attack your "To Do List" for a few hours, everyone has one.
  • MorallyingMorallying Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Except when that installer/updater uses the same expired cert..
    Brain Burst
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    Well you see, either Oculus could spend their time trying to explain the step by step process of how to fix the problem to people who most likely wouldn't even understand what they're even talking about, or they could spend their time actually fixing it. These updates are to let everyone know that they are still working on the issue. They know more about their own product and company, and how to fix these issues, than almost everyone on here. This is clearly an issue that takes time to resolve, and unfortunately, as much as everyone would love to believe, it takes more than just a click of a button. Especially when, as you stated, "every single one of their products that they've sold does not work.
    Well sweety....
    At the moment thats fact. No Oculus Rift is working right now!
    And why are you expecting us to be dumb? I am developer in ERP sector... imagine what would happen to me if I did sth like that and many companies had to stop their production because the software doesn't work anymore?
    IMO the statement "every single one of their products that they've sold does not work." is correct!
    NerveGear
    Bahamut88 said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Sure that would be usable by anyone (knowing the installer) and would not require a huge download...
    It wouldn't be a huge download at all, just a small .bat file that would fetch an updated cert and patch it to the exe. Few megs in size at the most.
  • InfinitRInfinitR Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Frustrating? Sure. But we are lucky to be living in a time where this is even possible. Be patient, it's good for you.
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Except when that installer/updater uses the same expired cert..
    It doesn't I tried it last night, it downloaded the latest update from Oculus servers (which was still affected obviously) and re-installed all files and then tried to run Oculus Home (obviously failing) but whos to say if they just add the fixed certificate files to their update server and everyone just clicks "Repair" it should fix it right.....right?!

(I know its probably waaaaay more complicated than that, I am aware of my ignorance haha)
    Specs:
    - Windows 10 Pro x64 OS
    Brain Burst
    Bahamut88 said:
    Bahamut88 said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

It wouldn't be a huge download at all, just a small .bat file that would fetch an updated cert and patch it to the exe. Few megs in size at the most.
    Thats what I said;)
    Art3mis
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    iaccol said:
    andy0189 said:
    Well sweety....
    At the moment thats fact. No Oculus Rift is working right now!
    And why are you expecting us to be dumb? I am developer in ERP sector... imagine what would happen to me if I did sth like that and many companies had to stop their production because the software doesn't work anymore?
    IMO the statement "every single one of their products that they've sold does not work." is correct!
    Really? Mines working, i set my clock back to Sunday, and restarted my computer.

I am currently enjoying Robo Recall, and every other game I've launched to play.
  • VR-OCALAVR-OCALA Posts: 477
    Trinity
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Does this fix it?
    NerveGear
    Bahamut88 said:
    Bahamut88 said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Thats what I said;)
    My bad, I misunderstood your post lol
  • Ares_The_MadmanAres_The_Madman Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    edited March 2018
    Sabrejet said:
    I'm still waiting patiently, but lack of communication is always the second biggest mistake a company can make.  And it worsens the situation in hindsight.  "the brickening occured and they didn't say word one about it for 13-20-35 hours."  In hindsight, the crash will be the least memorable thing, it will be just having their entire customer base just sit on their hands without even a wide ballpark figure.  We have zero idea if it's a one hour fix, or a 8pm tomorrow fix.

Seriously I can't stay up another 3 hours waiting for a fix that isn't coming only to find out it wasn't even planned.  I don't want to pull the customer card and know that I'm not being that one dimensional, but we deserve a little communication.  A LOT of people have wasted so much of their real time.  Even a "might be tomorrow," is better than nothing.
    It isn't the company's fault that you've only waited around for the fix instead of doing something else. All you have to do is check every once in a while if it has been fixed, while doing something else with your time. As I stated in a previous post, either Oculus can explain their entire process to you, or spend that time actually fixing the problem. Their forum updates are enough to let people know that they are still working on the problem. Complaining about how they don't tell you everything they're doing will not change the speed or the issue at hand. If you want an ETA, then "might be tomorrow." They have a bigger issue at hand (the fact that all of their products don't work), so they are going to focus on getting them back up rather than keeping around the clock communication with everyone. They will notify everyone when Oculus products are up and working again, so in the meantime, enjoy the other aspects of life.
  • andy0189andy0189 Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Aliantha said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Does this fix it?
    No just talking about possible solutions on how to roll the fix out to the masses
    Art3mis
    Aliantha said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Does this fix it?
    Not at the moment, he's saying it's possible if they apply to certificate to the installer and people do that.
  • SabrejetSabrejet Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Sabrejet said:
    I'm still waiting patiently, but lack of communication is always the second biggest mistake a company can make.  And it worsens the situation in hindsight.  "the brickening occured and they didn't say word one about it for 13-20-35 hours."  In hindsight, the crash will be the least memorable thing, it will be just having their entire customer base just sit on their hands without even a wide ballpark figure.  We have zero idea if it's a one hour fix, or a 8pm tomorrow fix.

Seriously I can't stay up another 3 hours waiting for a fix that isn't coming only to find out it wasn't even planned.  I don't want to pull the customer card and know that I'm not being that one dimensional, but we deserve a little communication.  A LOT of people have wasted so much of their real time.  Even a "might be tomorrow," is better than nothing.
    It isn't the company's fault that you've only waited around for the fix instead of doing something else. All you have to do is check every once in a while if it has been fixed, while doing something else with your time. As I stated in a previous post, either Oculus can explain their entire process to you, or spend that time actually fixing the problem. Their forum updates are enough to let people know that they are still working on the problem. Complaining about how they don't tell you everything they're doing will not change the speed or the issue at hand. If you want an ETA, then "might be tomorrow." They have a bigger issue at hand (the fact that all of their products don't work), so they are going to focus on getting them back up rather than keeping around the clock communication with everyone. They will notify everyone when Oculus products are up and working again, so in the meantime, enjoy the other aspects of life.
    My comment stands by itself.
  • RicaneswagRicaneswag Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Aliantha said:
    Zenbane said:
    Bahamut88 said:

Does this fix it?
    no
    Sabrejet said:
    My comment stands by itself.

Did you mean to say, "I stand by my comment" ??

Because if your comment stands by itself, then that means you abandoned your comment. Na' mean?