cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

Jackdaw01 said:

Morning everyone! I’m guessing it’s been fixed? Can’t be bothered to get out of my warm bed and check  😄

CmdrGoodDeath said:

Is it just me or do things look a little better now more crisp?

Maybe they are, or maybe it's like those first few breaths after you recover from a cold and everything seems better!

CmdrGoodDeath
Explorer
But I didn't have a cold. 😛

BillyDoyleSpeak
Explorer

Jackdaw01 said:

Morning everyone! I’m guessing it’s been fixed? Can’t be bothered to get out of my warm bed and check  😄

Yeah it's all working again now!

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

Jackdaw01 said:

https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/

fixed hon 🙂 enjoy

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

OmegaM4N said:

Aliantha said:

OmegaM4N said:

Issues and mistakes happen in everything, that is a given, the milk is being cleaned up at least now, BUT! this issue did one thing for me personally and that is it highlighted just how much control i have over my own hardware on my own PC and to be frank, i am somewhat disturbed to have just found out that my £400 purchase and everything with it including software can be rendered useless via one little bit of software that i had no idea has some kind of always on connection and is updating in the background unknown to me. 😕

It can be disturbing but it's not unique.  Apple can shut down it's Iphones as easily.  That's true in lots of areas.  Technology can be frightening.  I guess you have to have some faith in the goodwill of humanity.

No it is not unique, but i assumed a gaming device like a VR headset would not require a always on connection, or at least any updated would be checked for and updated once i actually used it, and it reminded me of the XBox one launch were everybody balked at the idea of a always on connection, and rightly so, and really should both the xbox or a VR headset require a always on as they are just gaming devices, or if they must be always on then possibly let people know that before hand because i thought  had disable auto updates in the Oculus app, but it seems not, and as we saw here, things can obviously go wrong with this approach

Oh and i am not taking a  pop at the Rift, love my VR, but it is quite disconcerting to find this out after the fact.

Does it always have to be on?  I have a few games I bought through Oculus that say they don't require an Internet connection.  Does Oculus Home require that?

Micro666
Expert Protege

OmegaM4N said:

Issues and mistakes happen in everything, that is a given, the milk is being cleaned up at least now, BUT! this issue did one thing for me personally and that is it highlighted just how much control i have over my own hardware on my own PC and to be frank, i am somewhat disturbed to have just found out that my £400 purchase and everything with it including software can be rendered useless via one little bit of software that i had no idea has some kind of always on connection and is updating in the background unknown to me. 😕

Oculus doesn't require an always on connection. I've seen a few of these types of posts complaining that the cause of this issue is something to do with having to be online for the certificate.

It's not, and you don't have to be online to user Oculus. The software certificate is a digital signature applied to the Oculus executables, and in this case one certificate in particular expired, causing the problem.

It's got nothing to do with being online at all. The digital signature of the certificate is a totally offline thing, and is applied to the binary executable files. You could have been offline for a week, and been perfectly fine using Oculus up until the exact moment the certificate expired.

By the way I'm a Windows software developer so have experience of digitally signing code. Basically if a piece of software is published without being signed with a certificate of a trusted authority, Windows prompts the user saying the software is untrusted, and would you like to install? i.e. it's at your own risk if the software does something dodgy.

Most decent companies and software publishers digitally sign their software, so that Windows when it installs the software knows the software is trusted, and doesn't prompt the user to say the software is untrusted.

In Oculus' case their digital certificate expired. It's their fault yes, they should have known it was going to expire, got a new certificate, signed their executable code, and issues an update a few days or weeks ago. 

This has nothing to do with having to be online. That's a misnomer. Oculus do not require an online connection at all.

Micro666

Anonymous
Not applicable
Can't update. Still not fixed. Updater now asks for two windows updates to be loaded first. I already have them installed. Installed them again and it still says this!!hebbrraabxgy.jpg

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

Can't update. Still not fixed. Updater now asks for two windows updates to be loaded first. I already have them installed. Installed them again and it still says this!!hebbrraabxgy.jpg

Have you done a reboot?  Probably have and that likely isn't the issue but I always start at the beginning.

If you have rebooted you may want to do a fresh Oculus install just don't delete the directory that has your saved games

scottharmes6
Protege
Man this thread has a lot of posts in a short time.  Just downloaded the patch, and now I will close my eyes and hope the repair doesn't delete anything.  Despite what others are saying, it was a pretty quick fix.  I guess it's all relative, like watching paint dry or grass grow.  Thanks Devs  :smiley:

kael13
Explorer

Tried a restart, first?
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?