cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I played last time two days ago then shutdown and turned the computer on this morning for a round of BoxVR to wake up. I tried to restart the service and even tried the repair option twice. Luckely I have a good internet connection or it would have been a pain. Then I figured only reinstalling might be an option but I did not want to do that because of all the games data. So I did what the error message suggested and contacted the support. I had the luck that I got a reply 5 minutes later, letting me know that it's a know bug and that they are working on it. Then got a second mail 2 minutes later with a link to the fix. So I must say, that is a good response time, but from reading here I had the impression not everyone was so lucky. What I like is that they did tell what the issue was and as an IT Pro I can understand that very well. Who can claim he never has forgotten to renew a certifficate in time? Not me. So, yes, it's shit but it's totaly understandable. And once the certifficate is no longer valid you have issues to update the software. I for example had to roll out a mobile device management again to 50 iPhones 🙂 Shit happens and this new VR world feels a bit like beeing back in the 90th when your Windows 95 crashed with a blue screen after inserting a new pci device due to IRQ incompatibilities... 10 years later windows is fine and so will be Oculus....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Aliantha said:

Can't update. Still not fixed. Updater now asks for two windows updates to be loaded first. I already have them installed. Installed them again and it still says this!!hebbrraabxgy.jpg

Have you done a reboot?  Probably have and that likely isn't the issue but I always start at the beginning.

If you have rebooted you may want to do a fresh Oculus install just don't delete the directory that has your saved games

Where's the directory that has my save games and how do I make sure I don't delete it with a new install?

cigaremoods
Heroic Explorer
Once again they do not have the decency to put a message in every community of every language: French, German, Spanish ...
When you know the power of facebook with all the translators who monitor our conversations, they could for once be helpful in explaining in each language what to do.

MSI Z790 ACE, MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM X, I7 14700K, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 32 go, 2 x Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 2 To

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

tommet said:

OmegaM4N said:

Aliantha said:

OmegaM4N said:

Issues and mistakes happen in everything, that is a given, the milk is being cleaned up at least now, BUT! this issue did one thing for me personally and that is it highlighted just how much control i have over my own hardware on my own PC and to be frank, i am somewhat disturbed to have just found out that my £400 purchase and everything with it including software can be rendered useless via one little bit of software that i had no idea has some kind of always on connection and is updating in the background unknown to me. 😕

It can be disturbing but it's not unique.  Apple can shut down it's Iphones as easily.  That's true in lots of areas.  Technology can be frightening.  I guess you have to have some faith in the goodwill of humanity.

No it is not unique, but i assumed a gaming device like a VR headset would not require a always on connection, or at least any updated would be checked for and updated once i actually used it, and it reminded me of the XBox one launch were everybody balked at the idea of a always on connection, and rightly so, and really should both the xbox or a VR headset require a always on as they are just gaming devices, or if they must be always on then possibly let people know that before hand because i thought  had disable auto updates in the Oculus app, but it seems not, and as we saw here, things can obviously go wrong with this approach

Oh and i am not taking a  pop at the Rift, love my VR, but it is quite disconcerting to find this out after the fact.

This isn't because it requires an always on connection.  This is because the digital certificate that certifies the software is from oculus wasn't signed / renewed correctly.  This can happen with any piece of software running on almost any operating system today.  Windows, OSX, Android....

It was a dumbass mistake on Oculus part, but mistakes happen.  The speed at which they fixed it does them credit.  I worked in IT for over 25 years, and it's not longer amazing to me that something fails - it's amazing that it actually works at all.

You could have called them and advised them to turn it on and off again.......yeap, i am totally original, no way you have ever heard that reference ever. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Dotsquares_Ocul
Honored Guest
no its not resolve

Anonymous
Not applicable

cjboucher said:

tomcul said:

Will this fix itself automatically or do I need to download some patch?

https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/

cool so is it fixed now?
thanks

Fixed it for me..

BlissIRL
Honored Guest
The thing that gets me on this the most is all the wasted time uninstalling and rebuilding my pc - really did not need this shit yesterday - all i wanted was for a nice gaming session - what i got was the contrary . Cheers Face Rift , Oculus Book RTFM bastids.

RazorTime
Explorer
Patch applied and all is back to normal. 

AussieStig
Expert Protege

Ostermalm said:

I've got the same problem as profanicus. Used /bypassHotfixCheck to launch the patcher, then got the "Sorry, we encountered an error" screen. Also, the patcher seems to have erased the basic Oculus .exe files, so now I can't start anything even by changing the system date. Win7 x64, FX-8350, GTX1070.

You might have the KB error now, considering you are running Win 7, check out my post a couple of pages back. 
c6gen1j0ta19.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't update. Still not fixed. Updater now asks for two windows updates to be loaded first. I already have them installed. Installed them again and it still says this!!hebbrraabxgy.jpg

You can fix this with a cmd prompt mate.

Usually Win 7 has these two files already installed, if that is the case you can use the cmd prompt. If you dont have those KBs then you will need to download them from Microsoft.

The first two cmd's are correct and then the last one is correct. I dont think Oculus ever addressed this issue, I may be wrong. If someone knows of another way please let us Win 7 users know. Cheers AussieStig
mygaw82gxs70.png

Thanks, This worked. Though I only did it to the OculusPatchMarch2018 file.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?