cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Runtime Services - Current Status

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
We are aware of and actively investigating an issue impacting ability to access Rift software. Our teams apologize for any inconvenience this may be causing you and appreciate your patience while we work on a resolution. We'll share more updates here as we have them. Thanks.

Update:
Hey everyone - This is an issue with our software certification that we're still actively working on. For security, we use a certificate to ensure that the software you receive actually comes from Oculus. That certificate has expired, and we're looking at a few different ways to resolve the issue. We’ll update you with the latest info as available. We recommend you wait until we provide an official fix. Thanks for your patience.

Update #2:
Hey everyone - We're still working hard to resolve the cert issue. We're in the process of integrating an updated cert. Unfortunately, pushing the update out to affected users has some added complexity, as the expired cert blocks our standard software update path. We're working through the options now, and we expect to have more details to share later this evening.

Update #3:

Hey all - thank for your patience. We now have an Oculus software update in place that fixes the issue where Rift may fail to start up. For more info and instructions, please go here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

Thank you once again for your patience.

Update #4:
Each Rift user impacted by last week's issue and eligible for our $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) will see that hit their account within the next few hours. Not sure where to find your credit? Check out this support article: https://support.oculus.com/176820559444065/ ;

If you don't receive store credit but believe you qualified (used the Oculus desktop app on Rift between 2/1/18 and 3/8/18 -- after further consideration we extended the window by a day to account for potential new Rift owners), please contact support: https://support.oculus.com/885981024820727/
2,249 REPLIES 2,249

markj62
Honored Guest
Change the date on your pc back a couple of days, restart your pc then it might work. Mine is working right now

ViznutSN
Honored Guest
How do I bypass Oculus's win hotfix check when installing this patch?

Downloaded and ran OculusPatchMarch2018.exe.  Clicked Repair -> Repair.

It says:

Update Required
Oculus Setup requires the KB2670838 and KB3033929 Windows 7 hotfixes.  Please install these updates and run Oculus Setup again.

When I try to install these updates, Windows Update confirms that they are already installed and there's nothing to do.

LZoltowski
Champion

ViznutSN said:

It says:

Update Required
Oculus Setup requires the KB2670838 and KB3033929 Windows 7 hotfixes.  Please install these updates and run Oculus Setup again.

When I try to install these updates, Windows Update confirms that they are already installed and there's nothing to do.

/bypassHotfixCheck
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

WiLLuMPJuH
Adventurer

markj62 said:

Change the date on your pc back a couple of days, restart your pc then it might work. Mine is working right now

Do not change the date on your PC. It's an unneccessary workaround, since a working patch has become availiable from Oculus and it' s not advisable to do so. 

Changing the date might cause other unrelated issues. Not worth it. 

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star
Good morning all!  Sleep was nice but I see some people are still not fixed so before I play let me see if I can help at all.

My help is non-technical but maybe it will help

It looks like Windows 7 seems to be a commonality among people having trouble.  If that is the case I would contact Oculus support besides posting here.  I don't think they scour 70 page forum threads looking for issues.  Keep posting here though because it is apparent some technically inclined users are being awesome and helping.

Keep in mind Microsoft has pretty much moved on from 7 and there are differences that the first patch may not fix.  That doesn't mean Oculus doesn't care and won't help you too, they just need to know and may need time since they may need to make a different patch for Win 7 users.  Yes, it sucks not being in the first wave of fixes, but that's the downside of using an older operating system.

Not sure if that helps, but don't panic, just be patient.

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

What's this about $15 credit people are getting for the inconvenience that I'm hearing? How do I claim that?

You don't, it will be given to you automatically if you qualified for it as per the email below:

Hi Aliantha,

We've just released an Oculus software update that fixes
an issue where Rift may fail to start up. If you're receiving the error
“Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service,” you'll need to manually update your
Oculus software before you can use your Rift.

To patch your Oculus software, you'll need to download
'OculusPatchMarch2018.exe' at https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/.
Run the executable, and select “Repair”. When the update is finished,
launch the Oculus desktop app to continue the update process. Once the
update is complete, you'll be able to use your Rift.

A step-by-step walkthrough is available here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

A manual update is only necessary if you're unable to
start the Oculus desktop app - if you aren't seeing an error, the system
will update itself to the new version automatically.

We’re very sorry for the disruption today. We’re providing
a $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) to people impacted by
this issue. If you used Rift on or after February 1st, 2018 this credit
will be added to your account automatically within the next 7 days. See this
page
for info about Oculus Store credits.

Sorry again for any inconvenience this may have caused,
and thanks for choosing Rift.

- The Oculus Team

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

This is the full email

"Hi Katanagirl,

We've just released an Oculus software update that fixes an issue where Rift may fail to start up. If you're receiving the error “Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service,” you'll need to manually update your Oculus software before you can use your Rift.

To patch your Oculus software, you'll need to download 'OculusPatchMarch2018.exe' at https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/. Run the executable, and select “Repair”. When the update is finished, launch the Oculus desktop app to continue the update process. Once the update is complete, you'll be able to use your Rift.

A step-by-step walkthrough is available here: https://support.oculus.com/217157135500529/

A manual update is only necessary if you're unable to start the Oculus desktop app - if you aren't seeing an error, the system will update itself to the new version automatically.

We’re very sorry for the disruption today. We’re providing a $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) to people impacted by this issue. If you used Rift on or after February 1st, 2018 this credit will be added to your account automatically within the next 7 days. See this page for info about Oculus Store credits.

Sorry again for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks for choosing Rift.

- The Oculus Team"

That is very nice, but..............I use my Oculus DK2 everyday so I fall in that broad category. However, I am skeptical that DK2 users will be compensated. Hope I am mistaken of course. Oculus doesn't seem to be interested in people using their older equipment, as far as I know, the Windows 7 KB update error was never addressed? 

Cheers AussieStig

Hi Aussie!

Please don't assume Oculus doesn't care about you.  Ask them!  Yesterday had to be a highly stressful day and they may still be working on things and it is possible that while trying to make things right, they missed something.  Does not mean they don't care or you aren't valuable.

If you are using older equipment and you were affected I am willing to bet they'll compensate you too.  Just let them know you're concerned you were left out and give them a chance to realize they goofed in either not notifying you, wording their compensation badly, or by oversight.

All of the concerns of yesterday... getting a patch done, apology, compensation were all addressed... I have no doubt this will be too.  

#rootingforyou!

AussieStig
Expert Protege

ViznutSN said:

It says:

Update Required

If you already have these KBs then you need to enter the first two cmd's as Admin and finally the last one at the bottom of the image. Type it in exactly as you see it here. the third one was incorrectly typed ignore that, mate. Cheers AussieStig

Why Oculus never addressed this issue is a riddle, they could have done something about it 😞

ma75d1qbojn2.png

AndTrax
Protege
crickets...
AMD Threadripper 1900x, Liqtech TR4 360, EVGA 1080ti hybrid, Gigabyte x399 Aorus Gaming 7, 32 GB XPG z1 3000, Samsung 960 EVO, Crucial MX500, RGB all over

AussieStig
Expert Protege

Aliantha said:

This is the full email

"Hi Katanagirl,

We've just released an Oculus software update that fixes an issue where Rift may fail to start up. If you're receiving the error “Can't Reach Oculus Runtime Service,” you'll need to manually update your Oculus software before you can use your Rift.

To patch your Oculus software, you'll need to download 'OculusPatchMarch2018.exe' at https://www.oculus.com/rift-patch/. Run the executable, and select “Repair”. When the update is finished, launch the Oculus desktop app to continue the update process. Once the update is complete, you'll be able to use your Rift.

A manual update is only necessary if you're unable to start the Oculus desktop app - if you aren't seeing an error, the system will update itself to the new version automatically.

We’re very sorry for the disruption today. We’re providing a $15 Oculus Store credit (or currency equivalent) to people impacted by this issue. If you used Rift on or after February 1st, 2018 this credit will be added to your account automatically within the next 7 days. See this page for info about Oculus Store credits.

Sorry again for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks for choosing Rift.

- The Oculus Team"

That is very nice, but..............I use my Oculus DK2 everyday so I fall in that broad category. However, I am skeptical that DK2 users will be compensated. Hope I am mistaken of course. Oculus doesn't seem to be interested in people using their older equipment, as far as I know, the Windows 7 KB update error was never addressed? 

Cheers AussieStig

Hi Aussie!

Please don't assume Oculus doesn't care about you.  Ask them!  Yesterday had to be a highly stressful day and they may still be working on things and it is possible that while trying to make things right, they missed something.  Does not mean they don't care or you aren't valuable.

If you are using older equipment and you were affected I am willing to bet they'll compensate you too.  Just let them know you're concerned you were left out and give them a chance to realize they goofed in either not notifying you, wording their compensation badly, or by oversight.

All of the concerns of yesterday... getting a patch done, apology, compensation were all addressed... I have no doubt this will be too.  

#rootingforyou!

We shall see mate, fingers crossed, but I wont hold my breath. I am sure their day yesterday was far more hectic than people may appreciate. I have sent a support request will keep you posted here. Cheers, AussieStig
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?